1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 36 pages and packed full.

EDITION 2 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Goodbye friz

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Saints111, Mar 26, 2020.

1. hewi

hewi Juniors

blue bags likes this.
  2. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

Mmm not sure how I feel about this if true.
    Part of me thinks he's at his limit here and there would be zero growth, and part of me thinks he's a great clubman who we should look after. Somehow I think he's better off trying his luck elsewhere.

At the same time it opens the door for a few others to come through.

I'm liking what I see from Tyrell, but needs consistency for a few more matches to have me convinced.
    Host is a very good player and under the right coach could well become a very handy start or bench player.
    Ford is up and coming and like Host can fill that start or bench roll.

All these guys would be at 1/3rd the cost of Friz with some growth and development as well.

Friz has played for State and Country, but there are a few now nipping at his heals for his position, I guess the extra 100k a season may well be a cover for that.

3. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Newcastle are a middling club with no chance of a premiership on the horizon, yet Frizell wants to leave.

If this isn’t a damning indictment of McGregor, I don’t know what is one.

4. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Don’t blame him but I can see some players having to leave Newy or take pay cuts to fit him in. If that happens they won’t be as much of a chance of a premiership. Ponga has been tossing up the All Blacks for years himself so we will see what happens there.

blue bags likes this.
  5. Auntie.Gerald

Auntie.Gerald Bench

its probably not the money anyway but we shouldnt be spending over $700k pa for Friz

I get why there are a few backrowers that will demand $750k plus but I dont think Friz is that guy

Boyd Cordner 168 games and 48 tries
    Friz 160 games and 22 tries
    David Fafita I would pay $900k plus for at 20yrs of age and already scored 10 tries as a backrower and is a recking ball

hope Friz stays at $650k pa but is he is being offered closer to $750k pa then we have to get the spread across our cap better and if we truly have another player opportunity for the edge at better value lets take it.........Hunt, Norman and Friz are not the 3 players for me to hold up such a massive amount of dollars

roosters have a much smarter spread across the playing group as one example we could follow yet it remains to be seen how their team functions post a $1mill dollar half back (CC)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. jeffdragon

jeffdragon Juniors

Have we missed Dugan, packer, Mann,McDonald.
    No.

blue bags likes this.
  7. Crush

Crush First Grade

Mate what are you talking about?
    Our coach is rubbish I get that but you can't say every player has left because of the coach? Players move around, its not unique to our club.

blue bags likes this.
  8. SnowDragon

SnowDragon Juniors

It’s a shame he is leaving.

good effort player, right mentality. But so be it.

Salary cap management is the key, and we would have had to question outbidding the knights if we did.

we have a chance to rejuvenate the roster, and focus on the up and comings may be key.

blue bags likes this.
  9. mickeylane

mickeylane Bench

Player contracts will be Broken left right and centre post this 80% pay decrease! The player managers are going to have a field day suing the NRL and clubs.. I believe there could be a mass amount of moving deck chairs by the end of the year once the dust settles.. Players will have to start going to the highest bidder and its better imo if you have a lot of room under your cap because there will be a lot of disgruntled players , I’m even guessing the salary cap may decrease to $5m-$6m in 2021/22 to accomodate the loss of sponsorships and broadcast income

10. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Juniors

Totally agree the big factor is as stated above

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Life's Good likes this.
  11. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Juniors

I agree with what your saying but Mary is not the only one .
    We must remember that every member of the board are equally or more to blame and must all be removed along with the coach.
    I know our history is our strongest point but it's also you weakest point.
    Too many people living in the past within our club and thinking just because we have a great history that everything will be alright.
    If they don't wake up soon we will not have a club

12. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Good time to snag Suli if Manly are under pressure.

13. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

Much of what you say may well be true. But I cannot see player managers suing anyone. Every contract has Force Majeure provisions (unforeseeable contract disrupting circumstances). My unprofessional opinion is the Corona virus is a pretty major force Majeure event. Suing would be a waste of their time and money.

14. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

Sue the NRL & clubs? If the games goes under, there’s no one to sue. It’s quite simple, the players(& managers)need to wake up & accept they need to ride out the current situation until it improves. What the game looks like when that happens is anyone’s guess but the days of largesse are well & truly over.

15. Crush

Crush First Grade

Exactly, whats happening in the NRL is happening in many affected industries. I have taken a pay cut for now, fingers crossed that I don't lose my job altogether. I cannot however look to move to a rival company because their staff are also taking pay cuts and losing jobs!
    Just like the NRL players the only thing to do is ride it out and know this is temporary.

16. gregstar

gregstar Coach

Quite ironic he's gone to the knights where they are.

We're headed to where they were.

Kudos management.
    Yet another win.
    The last decade has been full of them.

I have lived in Brissie since they joined the comp.
    The last couple of seasons have actually started drawing me closer to them which is truly astonishing given the utter contempt i held them in for all of that time. Most of the big names are gone which has taken much of the dick out of them.

We really are rooted aren't we.
    Sad.

SBD82, blue bags, blacksafake and 2 others like this.
  17. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Good luck Frizz. Great competitor. Done the jersey proud. Greener pastures. Better team environment. Better coaching unknown yet but I like how their coach speaks over our hypnotist...so I will say better coaching. And of course better football staff and management. That covers it...but worse location...the Gong is better.

blue bags likes this.
  18. Objective View

Objective View Bench

But a club which equates mediocrity with success and considers Mc85 head coach material will always pay overs (including for rejects) and never achieve a smart spread.

Straight Shooter

blue bags likes this.
  19. Eatons Hill Dragon

Eatons Hill Dragon Juniors

Gregstar, don’t be tempted by the Dark side of the force.

blue bags and Dragonslayer like this.
  20. Forster Dragon

Forster Dragon Juniors

He is a good clubman but seriously is he worth what the Knights were prepared to pay?
    Wish him well but he was not a match winner for the Dragons.
    At age 29 I cannot see him getting any better and will become injury prone as his body wears out.

SGMax, blue bags and Dragon David like this.