What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Thankyou for that financial audit.
Time to wake up though pal...

Did you read the above article how Murdoch shackled the game for nearly TWENTY FIVE YEARS.

"Journo's" like Paul Kent keep going on about the game having no assets, does he ever look at what his company have done to it.

Infact the former boss of our game probably did the deal to shackle it being a News Ltd lawyer, yes Gallop that's you.

stryker

First Grade
Besides whatever arguments you want to have about "stakeholders" Nine have for years scheduled games to suit themselves with little regard to how this would affect crowds (Thursday night games or Broncos on every Friday night when Saturday or Sunday games would mean much larger crowds) so for them to complain that no crowds has a bearing on their coverage is a bit rich.

If my team played every game before zero crowds I would still watch every game as I do now. We all understand that advertising has dropped off because of the lockdowns and that there would be some negotiations about how much they pay for this years games BUT for Nine to suggest that this will lead to write downs for following years is just them trying to reduce their deal for more profit on their part.

If Nine want to break their contract and renegotiate on terms for following years than surely that gives the NRL the right to throw these years back onto the open market or more likely play games on a different broadcaster while suing Nine for breach of contract?

With "stakeholders" like Nine who needs enemies.
That is a different argument and one I agree with.
My statement was the NRL jumped the gun and are being made ti look foolish and unprofessional again.

TheFrog

Coach
I would suggest this is force majeure, however these discussions had to be put to bed BEFORE the announcement was made.
My reading tells me that even in force majuere, the party is expected to make all possible efforts to deliver on its obligations, which is what the NRL appear to be attempting to do.

stryker

First Grade
Did you read the above article how Murdoch shackled the game for nearly TWENTY FIVE YEARS.

"Journo's" like Paul Kent keep going on about the game having no assets, does he ever look at what his company have done to it.

Infact the former boss of our game probably did the deal to shackle it being a News Ltd lawyer, yes Gallop that's you.
Yes I did read it. Theres some compelling stuff there but completely besides the point I was arguing.

stryker

First Grade
My reading tells me that even in force majuere, the party is expected to make all possible efforts to deliver on its obligations, which is what the NRL appear to be attempting to do.
That is admirable but defining those obligations is critical. Its hard to do that without consultation.
If 9 and Fox dont broadcast as they see loopholes to exploit the contract, then surely this risk hasnt been mitigated.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The league is caught in a hard place Fox want the game back nine don't. I would imagine that's why they have been left out.

No loss, screw them then they can F off.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes I did read it. Theres some compelling stuff there but completely besides the point I was arguing.

Compelling?

It's an absolute disgrace, all the criticism the game has absorbed over the years, dragging it through the mud. Destroying all it's goodwill and image. Massive loss of potential revenue. And they just walk away, it's disgusting

franklin2323

Immortal
That is admirable but defining those obligations is critical. Its hard to do that without consultation.
If 9 and Fox dont broadcast as they see loopholes to exploit the contract, then surely this risk hasnt been mitigated.

Ch9 newspaper just the day before announced it. So they weren’t completely in the dark just didn’t get the extension they wanted

stryker

First Grade
Compelling?

It's an absolute disgrace, all the criticism the game has absorbed over the years, dragging it through the mud. Destroying all it's goodwill and image. Massive loss of potential revenue. And they just walk away, it's disgusting
The collective game has done a bang up job dragging its own name through the mud over the years. The media have just smelt blood and piled on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What does it matter what size the change room is? they are about to go out and jump on top of each other! they’ve already got special dispensation with the no more than two people gathering and 1.5m distancing being wavered and will continue to do so to get games played.
If it’s a good or bad thing time will be the judge. If it sweeps the through the teams after a couple of weeks then the game is fcked. Vlandys is rolling the dice. If it goes ok he’ll be hailed a genius

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The collective game has done a bang up job dragging its own name through the mud over the years. The media have just smelt blood and piled on.

Rubbish, they have exploited and exaggerated and mislead the public to drive their agenda for years.

For example let's go back to the Bulldogs and Coffs Harbour, the alleged rape. The media went ballistic and dragged the game's name through the mud for weeks, today they never mention it. The police new within hours the players were innocent yet the media still went ballistic at the game for weeks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rubbish, they have exploited and exaggerated and mislead the public to drive their agenda for years.

For example let's go back to the Bulldogs and Coffs Harbour, the alleged rape. The media went ballistic and dragged the game's name through the mud for weeks, today they never mention it. The police new within hours the players were innocent yet the media still went ballistic at the game for weeks.

the sad thing is that fans and the public lap it up and believe it. The number of rl fans on social media who believe the game spends $180mill on admin and has fiddled the players retirement fund is staggering just because of the last two weeks of BS stories.

Latest posts