What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He also left the scene before police arrived.
And was then on the piss at someone else’s house.
So it was drink driving, crashing into four cars, leaving the scene and then breaking the social distancing rules.
And he is still walking the streets?

He got off lightly imo. And the media are going easy on him, apparently the embarrassment of it all is part of the punishment. The possibility that he could have killed someone doesn't seem to warrant mention.

According to this article, Lachie Hunter's punishment is "harsh but fair":
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/be1dcf9616288b72a73dbd64c0c30142

no name

Coach
And he is still walking the streets?

He got off lightly imo. And the media are going easy on him, apparently the embarrassment of it all is part of the punishment. The possibility that he could have killed someone doesn't seem to warrant mention.

According to this article, Lachie Hunter's punishment is "harsh but fair":
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/be1dcf9616288b72a73dbd64c0c30142
The chick on offsiders briefly mentioned it as a segue into the concerns around the mental health of players in a lockdown situation. I wonder how this weeks developments will be discussed on the show?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The facts of the AFL situation are no secret so it's not 'my' story. He got what he deserved, no arguments from me.

The NRL went full soft c**k on these blokes and sends a message to the rest that they can pretty much do whatever they like if they can afford a fine.
"Got what he deserved..." Lachie Hunter should count himself lucky that he hasn't been locked up.

The $50,000 fine handed out to the NRL players by the NRL are higher than anyone else has received for breaching social distancing laws, and higher than the AFL handed out to Hunter - a mere $5000. Keeping it in perspective, the NRL didn't go soft.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
"Got what he deserved..." Lachie Hunter should count himself lucky that he hasn't been locked up.

The $50,000 fine handed out to the NRL players by the NRL are higher than anyone else has received for breaching social distancing laws, and higher than the AFL handed out to Hunter - a mere $5000. Keeping it in perspective, the NRL didn't go soft.

If you're quoting like for like including suspended fines, the AFL player got $20k in total fines plus loss of match payments for the 4 game suspension which is a further $20k in match payments.

He is fortunate not to be locked up, it was a stupid and reckless act.

But the point remains that the NRL by not suspending the players for even one match is a very weak call. Sets a very poor example and disincentive to play up like a boofhead.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The chick on offsiders briefly mentioned it as a segue into the concerns around the mental health of players in a lockdown situation. I wonder how this weeks developments will be discussed on the show?
I sat through an episode of Offsiders a couple of weeks ago, so I am now well acquainted with mental health issues.

Their coverage of Rugby League is always the same. they spent a good 10 minutes rubbishing the game and laughing at the May 28 return. "Tell them they're dreaming..." was muttered before some fairly scurrilous stuff was said, some paranoid suggestion that information may be getting leaked to the NRL from the health or state authorities. An echo chamber of idiots talking through their arses.

After that, I was found myself firmly in favour of a return to Rugby League asap.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you're quoting like for like included suspended fines, the AFL player got $20k in total fines plus loss of match payments for the 4 game suspension which is a further $20k in match payments.

He is fortunate not to be locked up, it was a stupid act.

But the point remains that the NRL by not suspending the players for even one match is a very weak call. Sets a very poor example and disincentive to play up like a boofhead.
Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr have both been fined $50,000 for breaching self-isolation protocols.

Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Nathan Cleary have both been fined $10,000.

All four players have been also been given a one-match ban, which has been suspended for the remainder of the season, after the NRL announced they had brought the game into disrepute.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/28...ary-fined-$10000-for-self-isolation-breaches/

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr have both been fined $50,000 for breaching self-isolation protocols.

Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Nathan Cleary have both been fined $10,000.

All four players have been also been given a one-match ban, which has been suspended for the remainder of the season, after the NRL announced they had brought the game into disrepute.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/28...ary-fined-$10000-for-self-isolation-breaches/

Of which 60% if the fines are suspended, the point I was making.

NRL stars Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr, Nathan Cleary and Tyronne Roberts-Davis have been hit with fines ranging from 10,000 to 50,000 for breaking COVID-19 social distancing restrictions. Addo-Carr and Mitchell will receive a $50,000 fine with 60 per cent being suspended pending good behaviour, while both Cleary and Roberts-Davis will pay $10,000, with $6,000 suspended. All four will not be suspended from playing when the NRL season recommences.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6152506949001

mozza91

Coach
Not a like for like comparision.

How many games did the Perth AFL players miss for hosting the party?

That is more a like for like
It’s not an AFL issue it’s a societal issue. Just like when they fail 3 drug tests and don’t get punished.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Not a like for like comparision.

How many games did the Perth AFL players miss for hosting the party?

That is more a like for like

So riding dirt bikes and shooting guns is having a house party? Right-o.

Look, they all should be suspended across both codes to some degree, to send a message to the rest to pull their heads in so there's no danger or pressure on restarting the comp.

I'd have had:
AFL Lachie Hunter 6-8 weeks
NRL Mitchell, Addo-Carr, and Roberts-Davis 3-4 weeks
NRL Cleary 2-3 weeks (1 extra for being a lying merkin)
AFL Freo nobodies 2 weeks

Send the right message

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
If only we had a catchy jingle for rugby league to let us forget about this horrible year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of which 60% if the fines are suspended, the point I was making.

NRL stars Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr, Nathan Cleary and Tyronne Roberts-Davis have been hit with fines ranging from 10,000 to 50,000 for breaking COVID-19 social distancing restrictions. Addo-Carr and Mitchell will receive a $50,000 fine with 60 per cent being suspended pending good behaviour, while both Cleary and Roberts-Davis will pay $10,000, with $6,000 suspended. All four will not be suspended from playing when the NRL season recommences.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6152506949001
The fine are still more than you or I would get for breaking the social distancing laws. And it is still more than the AFL fined Hunter. At the very least, the punishments are comparable.

What do you think would have happened to Mitchell or Addo-Carr if they got drunk, smashed into 4 cars and left the scene... ie on top of the social distancing breaches?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So riding dirt bikes and shooting guns is having a house party? Right-o.
It's a social gathering so in essense no different to having a party or friends around.
Look, they all should be suspended across both codes to some degree, to send a message to the rest to pull their heads in so there's no danger or pressure on restarting the comp.

I'd have had:
AFL Lachie Hunter 6-8 weeks
NRL Mitchell, Addo-Carr, and Roberts-Davis 3-4 weeks
NRL Cleary 2-3 weeks (1 extra for being a lying merkin)
AFL Freo nobodies 2 weeks

Send the right message
So you'd go lighter on the AFL social gathering than the NRL social gatherings. Right-o.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It would be even bigger after the season. AFL season is finished. Literally nothing to watch other than Origin or overseas sports which would be on at different times. Play it after the season. It’s bad enough stopping the NRL for a week let alone 3 weeks and some meh International games aren’t NRL games. I watch any sport but I’d be dead set struggling to watch some Oceania test match that I care little about.

I wouldn't argue against it being post-season either although it would affect the already low Kangaroo involvement in the international game.

As far as interest in the international game, I respect that you say you wouldn't watch it or don't have an interest but crowds and TV ratings for the Pacific tests have been just as strong as your standard NRL crowds and ratings and the bigger matches are a little higher so that suggests that there is an appetite for it from the RL and general sporting public.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
It's a social gathering so in essense no different to having a party or friends around.
So you'd go lighter on the AFL social gathering than the NRL social gatherings. Right-o.

How is adding more weeks suspension going lighter? Good maths.

Hunter's misdemeanor is no doubt the most dangerous and the suspension should reflect that. The fact the NRL players are facing criminal charges for their conduct indicates the seriousness their actions, but still don't think that's as dangerous in reality to Hunter's actions.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
The fine are still more than you or I would get for breaking the social distancing laws. And it is still more than the AFL fined Hunter. At the very least, the punishments are comparable.

What do you think would have happened to Mitchell or Addo-Carr if they got drunk, smashed into 4 cars and left the scene... ie on top of the social distancing breaches?

Based on the NRL's attitude to suspensions? Either 8 weeks or nothing at all. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground with 'bringing the game into disrepute' style conduct.

They had a chance to send a message and blew it IMO.

Last edited:

moffla

Bench
Would love to be a fly on the wall when JAC and Bellamy meet on Monday.
Actually, come to think of it not even the flies would be safe.

“There’s a few of you guys who are out of control with social media,” Bellamy told the players.

“When you are back Monday, it’s banned.”

The Storm players quickly got the message but, just to be sure, Bellamy promised “If any of you f*** this up for our club then you will have to deal with me”.

For the forseeable future, all Storm players will not be able to post anything that has to do with footy but will still be able to post personal content.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/if...p/news-story/c18720fbecaf9354338e37394100e262