What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Lebbo73

Bench

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If Nine are that keen to f**k off, I wish they would hurry up with the actual f**king off. The longer they drag this out, the more obvious it is this is all just the argey bargey of business and they actually are desperate as f**k to retain the NRL. I hope the NRL don't give them an inch.

Frailty

First Grade
What does the flu shot have to do with Covid19? I’m not an anti-vaxxer but Bryce is right to reject the flu shot. There’s evidence that the flu shot isn’t effective and is likely to make you sick. I’ve worked in a workplace where five out of the six office staff have had between one to two weeks off work within days of having the flu vaccination. My wife had the flu vaccination two years straight and then missed the next week both years from contracting the flu.
If he is banned from the NRL I can see a civil case and he’ll receive a payout. Did he sign a contract that states he must have the flu vaccination? Did anyone sign a contract that states they must have a flu vaccination. Tell the NRL to shove it up their arse Bryce.

So many things wrong with your statement:
  • The flu shot isn't "likely to make you sick". The vaccine is either an inactivated form of the virus (it's been killed but the body will increase immunity) or from a single gene of the virus which is not capable of making someone sick.
  • A person's immunity to flu viruses declines over time, so it's not a matter of "I've had it once, so I'll be fine".
  • "The flu vaccine isn't effective" - Vaccines have been found to reduce the need to visit a doctor up to 60%. This also means that it is extremely good at minimising the level of spread. Those that do get sick have reduced likelihood of severe symptoms and quicker recovery.
Want to know why they push for the flu vaccine but don't make it compulsory:

Now you're going to add the fact that there is a new virus for which there is no vaccine, and the resulting disease also attacks the respiratory system. I think the NRL would be smart to expect players to have the vaccine.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
We can't be pay tv exclusive. As much as I like Fox League's presentation on the games just restricting it to pay tv always bites you in the arse eventually. Just look at Union here for example. Been foxtel exclusive for 20 years or something is one of the reasons for the decline.
Did you read the article?

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
So many things wrong with your statement:
  • The flu shot isn't "likely to make you sick". The vaccine is either an inactivated form of the virus (it's been killed by the body will increase immunity) or from a single gene of the virus which is not capable of making someone sick.
  • A person's immunity to flu viruses declines over time, so it's not a matter of "I've had it once, so I'll be fine".
  • "The flu vaccine isn't effective" - Vaccines have been found to reduce the need to visit a doctor up to 60%. This also means that it is extremely good at minimising the level of spread. Those that do get sick have reduced likelihood of severe symptoms and quicker recovery.
Want to know why they push for the flu vaccine but don't make it compulsory:

Now you're going to add the fact that there is a new virus for which there is no vaccine, and the resulting disease also attacks the respiratory system. I think the NRL would be smart to expect players to have the vaccine.

‘agree with what you said

‘also he said they got it within days of getting the shot.. takes up to 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect , so they probably already caught the virus by the time that had the injection .

in addition the flu shot does not cover ALL the different strains , they may have gotten the strain that was not expected to be common that flu season

If the players don’t Get flu shots , and many start getting it , they will all be taking time off not knowing if just the flu or covid , disrupting training sessions or impacting game day whilst they await results .

Perth Red

Post Whore
‘agree with what you said

‘also he said they got it within days of getting the shot.. takes up to 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect , so they probably already caught the virus by the time that had the injection .

in addition the flu shot does not cover ALL the different strains , they may have gotten the strain that was not expected to be common that flu season

If the players don’t Get flu shots , and many start getting it , they will all be taking time off not knowing if just the flu or covid , disrupting training sessions or impacting game day whilst they await results .

With testing avail to them all they will know within a couple of hours if its covid or some other flu strain.

TheFrog

Coach
If Nine are that keen to f**k off, I wish they would hurry up with the actual f**king off. The longer they drag this out, the more obvious it is this is all just the argey bargey of business and they actually are desperate as f**k to retain the NRL. I hope the NRL don't give them an inch.
There didn't seem to be all this soap opera when cricket changed hands.

Chimp

Bench
In my opinion, the flu shot won’t really be anything to do with COVID, but more to stop players getting flu symptoms that would then mean they have to be isolated etc whilst they are tested for COVID - if nobody gets the flu, there’s no need for testing and isolation and the whole furore that will come with that at the moment. The media are gonna be going hysterical every time they see a player sniff or cough

TheFrog

Coach
In my opinion, the flu shot won’t really be anything to do with COVID, but more to stop players getting flu symptoms that would then mean they have to be isolated etc whilst they are tested for COVID - if nobody gets the flu, there’s no need for testing and isolation and the whole furore that will come with that at the moment. The media are gonna be going hysterical every time they see a player sniff or cough
Easy. Don't let the media anywhere near our players. Do interviews by conferencing app.

unforgiven

Bench
Yeah but now that local AFL side gets all the storm/NRL money instead of the local council
Ok I can see that as being plausible for the AFL. It wasn't to prevent the Storm from training in Albury, it was to allow the AFL side to get the benefit. I wouldn't put that past them.

siv

First Grade
The flu vaccine isn't effective" - Vaccines have been found to reduce the need to visit a doctor up to 60%. This also means that it is extremely good at minimising the level of spread. Those that do get sick have reduced likelihood of severe

Catching a train has the same effect

no name

Coach
There didn't seem to be all this soap opera when cricket changed hands.
In the lead up there wasn’t, but I recall it being somewhat of a blindside from 7 to get the gig? Can anyone confirm/deny?
It was a pretty big deal media wise in the aftermath.
As @Chief_Chujo pointed out, imagine if this dipstick lost both the cricket AND NRL.
I’m surprised he survived losing just the cricket tbh.

Canard

Immortal
Where is this "The NRL will get sued" arguement coming from?

There is multiple instances of "no jab, no play" rules in place in Australian life, that as far as I'm aware haven't had any successful lawsuit against them. Am I missing something?

As far as I'm concerned the Titans have been kissed on the dick here.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
“Hugh’s a very good negotiator and uses strategy exceptionally well But I’m not concerned about it.”

“There’s a contract in place, a legally binding contract. And even Hugh himself would understand that,”

If both those statements are not a subtle get stuffed to Skid then I am a lesbian underwater polo champion.

LOL @ "even"

And this quote from PVL,
“But never-the-less, as a good partner, we’re looking to assist them in these harsh economic times. We don’t want our partner to suffer significant losses."

some11

Referee
Ten will pay for the NRL. They were desperate for the cricket and missed. If they thought that they could get the NRL they’d be all over it like a fat kid on a lollipop.
Only problem I foresee there is murdoch's offspring got gazumped by CBS who pinched channel 10 from under their noses.

Cactus

Juniors
And this quote from PVL,
“But never-the-less, as a good partner, we’re looking to assist them in these harsh economic times. We don’t want our partner to suffer significant losses."

haha. Just dripping in tactical sincerity. lol

Latest posts