What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

You would be surprised how much Head is on. As in, shocked as to how low it is. I can't say how I know, but it is less than the average wage is, and not close to a 6 figure salary. Certainly surprised me.

Someone else gets it. It's not all about the now. It's also about the future. How many people won't re-up next year their membership? How many other players like Frizzell will want out? Who will want to come to the club, especially after seeing the clubs best player leave?

The club legit has the potential to be the next Gold Coast, in having to pay massive overs to get average players to the club because there is literally nothing to attract them to the club.

Agree!

The overs issue was raised when Suli refused an extra 80% bonus and Friz said he’s leaving in part due to premiership prospects.

So I figured, that if this pattern continued, as a proportion, in real terms, the club was coming to the player market with a catastrophic “ overs issue”

Even if we are conservative and say the club needs to pay 25% overs, that’s a massive impact on the cap budget and effectively knocks out scores of talent who might otherwise consider a transfer.

You could even quantify this as being a greater financial loss than letting McVirus go. That’s even before the other losses of revenue in merch, sponsors, media and membership.

These are very important financial considerations that the board in its infinite wisdom simply turned its back on yesterday.

And the problem is that as each day goes past, these losses accumulate and eventually you end up on life support from dictators. Cuts are made all over the place. You end up with sub par players. Paying overs in the cap means there’s little choice. This is the future, a side of donuts, journeymen and loafers. The beloved retirement village for chronically injured and elderly players.

A lot of the top clubs seem to be well settled financially and a major reason is because they are on top of coaching, recruitment and retention. Even the middle tier have some comfort in these areas.

Sgi is deteriorating at a rapid rate. It’s bleeding cash from every orifice. It’s not even competing this year. The courageous Mcinness can’t do everything!

Right now, McFester is the worst coach in the nrl and every other coach is better than him, while I understand that most of them are getting paid less. Even then, they do the right thing and take a pay cut.

Marys already wealthy but is still milking the club dry. Not a single cent discount. The miserable greedy Flog.

A lot of people work 12-14 hour days across the week and can barely feed the kids and send them on excursions. And a lot of these people are pretty damn good at their jobs too. Better than mez is at coaching.

And if McQuuenslandborderguard is doing such a bad job with 14 hour days, ffs, McDipstick work less and you might actually improve.you couldn’t be doing worse than dead last. Stop trying, give up and the team might win a game or even come close. Just to compete would be nirvana for some here.

That’s who the board says you guys should be loyal to. That you pay top dollar and go without things to fatten his bulging wallet is of no consequence. Collateral damage.

None of them have ever been “career fans” they know nothing about the hardship you endure and even if they did, we know for sure and certain now that they couldn’t care less.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
From a Panther fan I wish you guys all the best. Sucks when your club goes through the drama and the hurt.

In the meantime I made you guys some instructions on coach sacking as we are quite experienced at these things.

20200609_155502.jpg

Chin up you'll be winners again soon.

From a Panther fan I wish you guys all the best. Sucks when your club goes through the drama and the hurt.

In the meantime I made you guys some instructions on coach sacking as we are quite experienced at these things.

View attachment 38990

Chin up you'll be winners again soon.

A noble gesture from a fellow sympathetic soul.

Except, you won’t be winners again anytime soon. Your board will see to that.

getsmarty

Immortal
Inside Dragons’ freefall — from powerhouse to an NRL disgrace ‘devoid of soul’
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

2c03670341d2b1e25259c59ffd605d78

Issac Luke of the Dragons looks on during the torrid loss to Canterbury.Source: Getty Images
The once mighty Red V of St George Illawarra stands accused of being inept, devoid of soul and having no DNA.

It would never have happened under the watch of Wayne Bennett, Harry Bath, Norm Provan or Frank Facer.

What sort of reactive powerbrokers call an emergency general meeting and then issue the full support of the board to the coach? Dribble.

Everyone knows it means Paul McGregor will most likely be gone by the middle of next month.

Round 5
Fox Sports can confirm the Dragons directors discussed moving on McGregor on Tuesday - along with his most likely replacement.

The answer is assistant coach Dean Young.

Maybe the directors looked at the draw and realised it was only a matter of time for Mary given their schedule over the next five weeks; arch-rivals Cronulla, the Gold Coast, the Roosters, Canberra and Manly.

The way they’re playing at the moment – like strangers as McGregor put it – the Dragons will be flat out winning one of those games.

775907_640x360_large_20200609175822.jpg

Payout may have saved Mary

There is a view Mary is too hard on his emerging NRL players – Zac Lomax, Matt Dufty, Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor – and too soft on senior players like James Graham, Corey Norman, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims.

There’s a story from last year where McGregor intended to axe prop Jeremy Latimore until the old-school front-rower went and sat down in the coach’s office in Wollongong.

The end result was Latimore retained his position in the side.

The soft-serve waffle coming out of their new L-plate CEO might sound nice in a zoom meeting about marketing but in the hostile world of NRL CEOs, player agents, media and coaches he’s going to get barbecued.

Board room politics normally makes most NRL fans glaze over but in this instance it’s important to understand exactly how the decision-makers at St George Illawarra are hiding in the shadows.

There are eight directors on the Red V board – four from WIN Corporation and four from St George.

The St George District Rugby League football side of the board room is Peter Doust, Craig Young, Ralph Piggot and Peter Black.

The WIN directors are chairman Andrew Gordon, Andrew Lancaster, Craig Osborne and Graham Gulloch.

Doust – the one-time Dragons CEO famous for brining Wayne Bennett to the club – has recently returned to the board this year.

This is said to have unsettled the multi-millionaire boss of WIN Corporation and 50 per cent owner of St George Illawarra Bruce Gordon.

Gordon has been associated with the Illawarra Steelers since their inception into the old NSW Rugby League competition in 1982.

He’s now 91 and worth around $800 million.

Nothing happens on the WIN Corp side of the board room without his approval.

To terminate McGregor the board needs the numbers to be at least 5-3 but like in the old Wests Tigers days traditionally voting sits aligned with the St George four and the Illawarra four.

The question all Red V fans now want answered is how much longer for Mary?

McGregor keeps referencing how the Dragons finished one game shy of the game to get into the grand final in 2018 – which they did.

And they went down swinging in extra time against South Sydney in a field-goal shoot out.

But the more damning statistics now doing the rounds are the sequences of losing streaks during McGregor’s seven-year tenure in Wollongong.

McGregor holds the unwanted tag of the longest losing streak in the 21-year history of the joint venture club with seven consecutive losses from 2015.

More recently there’s another two sets of five consecutive losses last season when the Dragons finished 15th.

If the Dragons want a different result, some energy in terms of line speed and someone looking to intentionally rattle the opposition, the coach needs to shake-up his side like Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook did last week.

The young guns like Saab, Ford, Jacob Host and Billy Britain are surely due for a crack. They’ve got nothing to lose.

The reputation of one of the most decorated clubs in rugby league is already pulverised.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...v/news-story/36fef3f6f9d63d075deaee7520adf854

Inside Dragons’ freefall — from powerhouse to an NRL disgrace ‘devoid of soul’
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

2c03670341d2b1e25259c59ffd605d78

Issac Luke of the Dragons looks on during the torrid loss to Canterbury.Source: Getty Images
The once mighty Red V of St George Illawarra stands accused of being inept, devoid of soul and having no DNA.

It would never have happened under the watch of Wayne Bennett, Harry Bath, Norm Provan or Frank Facer.

What sort of reactive powerbrokers call an emergency general meeting and then issue the full support of the board to the coach? Dribble.

Everyone knows it means Paul McGregor will most likely be gone by the middle of next month.

Round 5
Fox Sports can confirm the Dragons directors discussed moving on McGregor on Tuesday - along with his most likely replacement.

The answer is assistant coach Dean Young.

Maybe the directors looked at the draw and realised it was only a matter of time for Mary given their schedule over the next five weeks; arch-rivals Cronulla, the Gold Coast, the Roosters, Canberra and Manly.

The way they’re playing at the moment – like strangers as McGregor put it – the Dragons will be flat out winning one of those games.

775907_640x360_large_20200609175822.jpg

Payout may have saved Mary

There is a view Mary is too hard on his emerging NRL players – Zac Lomax, Matt Dufty, Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor – and too soft on senior players like James Graham, Corey Norman, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims.

There’s a story from last year where McGregor intended to axe prop Jeremy Latimore until the old-school front-rower went and sat down in the coach’s office in Wollongong.

The end result was Latimore retained his position in the side.

The soft-serve waffle coming out of their new L-plate CEO might sound nice in a zoom meeting about marketing but in the hostile world of NRL CEOs, player agents, media and coaches he’s going to get barbecued.

Board room politics normally makes most NRL fans glaze over but in this instance it’s important to understand exactly how the decision-makers at St George Illawarra are hiding in the shadows.

There are eight directors on the Red V board – four from WIN Corporation and four from St George.

The St George District Rugby League football side of the board room is Peter Doust, Craig Young, Ralph Piggot and Peter Black.

The WIN directors are chairman Andrew Gordon, Andrew Lancaster, Craig Osborne and Graham Gulloch.

Doust – the one-time Dragons CEO famous for brining Wayne Bennett to the club – has recently returned to the board this year.

This is said to have unsettled the multi-millionaire boss of WIN Corporation and 50 per cent owner of St George Illawarra Bruce Gordon.

Gordon has been associated with the Illawarra Steelers since their inception into the old NSW Rugby League competition in 1982.

He’s now 91 and worth around $800 million.

Nothing happens on the WIN Corp side of the board room without his approval.

To terminate McGregor the board needs the numbers to be at least 5-3 but like in the old Wests Tigers days traditionally voting sits aligned with the St George four and the Illawarra four.

The question all Red V fans now want answered is how much longer for Mary?

McGregor keeps referencing how the Dragons finished one game shy of the game to get into the grand final in 2018 – which they did.

And they went down swinging in extra time against South Sydney in a field-goal shoot out.

But the more damning statistics now doing the rounds are the sequences of losing streaks during McGregor’s seven-year tenure in Wollongong.

McGregor holds the unwanted tag of the longest losing streak in the 21-year history of the joint venture club with seven consecutive losses from 2015.

More recently there’s another two sets of five consecutive losses last season when the Dragons finished 15th.

If the Dragons want a different result, some energy in terms of line speed and someone looking to intentionally rattle the opposition, the coach needs to shake-up his side like Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook did last week.

The young guns like Saab, Ford, Jacob Host and Billy Britain are surely due for a crack. They’ve got nothing to lose.

The reputation of one of the most decorated clubs in rugby league is already pulverised.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...v/news-story/36fef3f6f9d63d075deaee7520adf854

I don’t know about hosty himself, but I do know his mates are upset he’s not getting a go.

They don’t understand it.

When the team is running dead last and playing like drunks, you can afford to give the gear steward a run. This season is over, sack the non performing hero’s and give the kids and rejects a go. Team “b”

LINESPEED

Juniors
As the structure of the club deliberately allows no input from supporters, no, they are on their own on this.

Yes it’s a weird situation for a Club to be engaged in internecine warfare with 30,000+ fans out there

...watching on in disbelief as a totally corrupted, owner-compliant
& incompetent admin lurches from crisis to crisis
eh Webb,
On your Day 66
of encroaching CEO infamy

So you’ve forced McFail to select juniors?
Given Flanno & Shep more say?

You know, as per the so-called Board decision?

Well I’m afraid Teamsheet Tuesday smells like the last 7 years

Farcical & gutless

And no-attack Turnstile remains at No3
- the symbol of the Club’s mediocrity, selection failures & the ‘coach’s’ arselicking self destruction.

No Attack
No tries in 177 minutes, 4/22 & Botton-of-the-Ladder Spoon favouritism doesn’t scream backline reshuffle?

How about Clune & Sailor halves, Ford & Lomax centres,
Saab & Dufty wingers?

Some speed, youth & intent FFS?
Anything but status fuc/king quo

You know, some ad lib?

Hunt to hooker
Blacker & Host in the 17

Anything but 16th/16th

Blood the Feagais, Ramsay, Sullivan, Schiller & Co ASAP IN 2020

These kids will break the psychological deadlock, have some fun, ignore the ‘coach’ & score some fuc/king tries

....which the ‘coach’s’ political allies & ‘yes’ men have failed to do for years.

Force change Webb

...& ignore The Gordons for a week

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm no big city lawyer, but surely if they sacked Mary he wouldn't be entitled to the full payout.

I mean if you had a plumber come out to fix a tap and he flooded the joint...
It comes down to the wording in the contract.

If his contract says “coach the team for x number of years”, he’s doing that. If you then sack him before those x years are up, he either needs to be paid out the remainder or he can easily go for breach of contract.

If the contract says “coach the team for x number of years with a winning percentage of y” then that is a different story..

Problem is by all accounts we forgot to include the second part of the equation.

Yes it’s a weird situation for a Club to be engaged in internecine warfare with 30,000+ fans out there

...watching on in disbelief as a totally corrupted, owner-compliant
& incompetent admin lurches from crisis to crisis
eh Webb,
On your Day 66
of encroaching CEO infamy

So you’ve forced McFail to select juniors?
Given Flanno & Shep more say?

You know, as per the so-called Board decision?

Well I’m afraid Teamsheet Tuesday smells like the last 7 years

Farcical & gutless

And no-attack Turnstile remains at No3
- the symbol of the Club’s mediocrity, selection failures & the ‘coach’s’ arselicking self destruction.

No Attack
No tries in 177 minutes, 4/22 & Botton-of-the-Ladder Spoon favouritism doesn’t scream backline reshuffle?

How about Clune & Sailor halves, Ford & Lomax centres,
Saab & Dufty wingers?

Some speed, youth & intent FFS?
Anything but status fuc/king quo

You know, some ad lib?

Hunt to hooker
Blacker & Host in the 17

Anything but 16th/16th

Blood the Feagais, Ramsay, Sullivan, Schiller & Co ASAP IN 2020

These kids will break the psychological deadlock, have some fun, ignore the ‘coach’ & score some fuc/king tries

....which the ‘coach’s’ political allies & ‘yes’ men have failed to do for years.

Force change Webb

...& ignore The Gordons for a week

I enjoy my daily Webby update. the fix I need.

Hoops called him the “ L plate” ceo.

He hasn’t been as effective as everyone had hoped. The team is last, to say the club is in crisis is an understatement.

If his contract says “coach the team for x number of years”, he’s doing that. If you then sack him before those x years are up, he either needs to be paid out the remainder or he can easily go for breach of contract.

If the contract says “coach the team for x number of years with a winning percentage of y” then that is a different story..

Problem is by all accounts we forgot to include the second part of the equation.

I read somewhere over the last week, that there is some kind of clause softening the blow for the club in the event he goes early, but not the full whack and of course, the details are unknown.

Even so, there is little evidence that his services were in high demand at the time they made him the offer last year and obviously no sensible contingency terms for the club if he failed miserably.

Hoops blames bj, but surely he does the boards bidding.

merahputih

Juniors
While McGregor's coaching is deservedly under scrutiny, the other elephant in the room, the JDB case seems to have slipped under the radar as a factor in the sides' collapse. The decision to keep Jack around training with the squad and reportedly involved in set moves when he won't be on the field when they are executed was a dodgy move. I can understand that the club had his well being in mind but I think it has has had a divisive effect on the players.
By all accounts the players (and their wives) have been split into two camps with opposing views on whether Jack should be around the squad. McGregor probably had a hand in the decision but Dragons' management must have approved it. It has to have been a big distraction.

Actually, I'd say yes Dennis, but its a double edged sword to some extent.

On one hand you have those who renew memberships, merchandise etc, towing the line of "i dont want.to lose my seat" etc, however, on the other hand, the failure of memberships, purchasing merchandise etc could inadvertently, bankrupt us altogether.

I see what you are saying, but the rank and file shouldn’t be under the duress when a lot of it seems to be have been able to be avoided.

Signing up Mary last year On a whacking big package based on the intelligence they had was irresponsible. They panicked and linked the teams success with Marys continued tenure.

I would have thought that at a maximum, based on the previous 5 seasons, only one more year should have been offered. This is based on info they had at the time, proved right now, but even so, things were not clear at the start of 2019.

They forgot too, that Mary has a lot of skin in the game locally and local heroes ( as he then was to many) are more resistant to having their legacy stained by gross disloyalty.

On the whole, I agree with Denis, that the management has been found so wanting, the rank and file are unwitting passengers in this horrific road accident.

The list of bad decisions and the prevalence of illogical excuses is too long to list these days.

They had the perfect opportunity to clean slate and start over this week, but they have decided to persist with the “ unacceptable” ( the boards actual description ) situation.

Thanks for your points though.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd say yes Dennis, but its a double edged sword to some extent.

On one hand you have those who renew memberships, merchandise etc, towing the line of "i dont want.to lose my seat" etc, however, on the other hand, the failure of memberships, purchasing merchandise etc could inadvertently, bankrupt us altogether.
You're absolutely right but I was reacting to whether the Fans have any responsibility.
I never really thought of the merchandise side of things.
On the other hand, the Fans don't coach the Team, they don't make Team selections, we have nothing to do with the game plans.
We are the fools that are sitting in the stands or watching our Team on TV.
How can the Fans be blamed for what's been going on?
It's a cop out in my view.

piesplusreturns

Juniors

If the contract says “coach the team for x number of years with a winning percentage of y” then that is a different story...

What if someone has been careless, if not negligent, in carrying out their duties?

If things were that straightforward lawyers probably wouldn't have jobs.

TruSaint

Referee
What if someone has been careless, if not negligent, in carrying out their duties?

If things were that straightforward lawyers probably wouldn't have jobs.

Im no lawyer, but they would have to prove his actions breached the terms of the contract.
Careless, is very vague.