What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

possm

Coach
This is correct. They represent the region they are from.

We represent two regions, hence two names.

We should hyphenate them so we seem like we’ve come from old money.
Do you mean like Canterbury Bankstown, Cronulla Southerland, Manly Warringah? All who don not include a second name but represent those districts.

Now if you were suggesting that Illawarra buy out Cronulla and then buy out WIN Corp / Gordon's shares in St George, I'm sure people would give that idea some consideration.

Or if St George bought out Cronulla and then Illawarra, Cronulla and St George fielded teams in the Canterbury Cup and became feeder clubs for the St George NRL team ...... wait, wasn't that the case prior to 1967?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Do you mean like Canterbury Bankstown, Cronulla Southerland, Manly Warringah? All who don not include a second name but represent those districts.
You consider those different “districts”?

I’d call those different suburbs..

Now if you were suggesting that Illawarra buy out Cronulla and then buy out WIN Corp / Gordon's shares in St George, I'm sure people would give that idea some consideration.
How did Cronulla come into the equation?

20 pages in, and this thread is experiencing a second wave....

Or if St George bought out Cronulla and then Illawarra, Cronulla and St George fielded teams in the Canterbury Cup and became feeder clubs for the St George NRL team ...... wait, wasn't that the case prior to 1967?
You’ll need to take up that conversation with Old Timer..

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
This is all madness. Nothing is changing in terms of name, logo or colours. St. George Illawarra Dragons
Rugby League Football Club, that is the name of the club.

"Break away from Illawarra" how is that even possible? Why on earth would we break away from a vast area which has embraced the Joint Venture for the last 20 years? This ridiculous argument comes up every so often for reasons only because some disgruntled idiot who can't spell or type or breath through their nose thinks it is worth it.

I was a St George supporter, I thoroughly embraced the joint venture in 1998, I was actually more excited than most, 1999 was an absolute blockbuster year.

I love the fact that we are able to own the south, I think it is a shame quietly that Illawarra Steelers have lost their identity, but that happened a long time ago.

Yes, in Wollongong, we are the Dragons, and I wouldn't be too hesitant to bet that people born after 2000 most likely refer to us as the Dragons, as they would Brisbane the Broncos.

I call them Saints, St George, St George Illawarra and the Dragons. All the same thing.

I can't see what the argument is about.

If people are still filthy about the joint venture 22 years later, move on to another team (blasphemy) or another sport. Its a tired, redundant and plain moronic argument.

The Dragons existence moving forward is reasonably secure due to the fact we have the Illawarra region.
Its simple stuff.

If you want to be pathetic, yeah I guess St George have lost a few games at Kogarah and an area of white on a logo, but EVERYTHING else in terms of identity hasn't changed. We don't have an ugly American style logo like a lot of the other mobs, we are still wearing the iconic red v (even though I hate that the V is interrupted with the sponsor, look at Easts jersey if you want to fix that up)

Yes the alternate jerseys in the last 20 years have been ordinary at best, that is actually a requirement from the NRL from my understanding.

Personally, I would like a scarlet away jersey with appropriate white hoops for away games as a nod to the Steelers, but I know that boils the blood of some of you pedants.

Anyway, rant over. I love reading this forum. But man, some of you guys are the crankiest lot of imbeciles I have ever come across, maybe if you put the same amount of effort into spelling, grammar and comprehension as you do trying to change the colour of the sun, you'd not be so bitter.

Everyone was all happy families on Sunday evening on the 4th of October 2010.

At least we have a team. At least the Illawarra have something too. Thank your lucky stars you were never Norths Supporters...

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maybe we should just combine the names and be called:

St George Drills.

Get Makita to sponsor

And we can all make the sound of drills as our war cry. A bit like the Panthers having their 'panther growl'.

be55

Juniors
This is all madness. Nothing is changing in terms of name, logo or colours. St. George Illawarra Dragons

"Break away from Illawarra" how is that even possible? Why on earth would we break away from a vast area which has embraced the Joint Venture for the last 20 years? This ridiculous argument comes up every so often for reasons only because some disgruntled idiot who can't spell or type or breath through their nose thinks it is worth it.

I was a St George supporter, I thoroughly embraced the joint venture in 1998, I was actually more excited than most, 1999 was an absolute blockbuster year.

I love the fact that we are able to own the south, I think it is a shame quietly that Illawarra Steelers have lost their identity, but that happened a long time ago.

Yes, in Wollongong, we are the Dragons, and I wouldn't be too hesitant to bet that people born after 2000 most likely refer to us as the Dragons, as they would Brisbane the Broncos.

I call them Saints, St George, St George Illawarra and the Dragons. All the same thing.

If people are still filthy about the joint venture 22 years late, move on to another team (blasphemy) or another sport. Its a tired, redundant and plain moronic argument.

The Dragons existence moving forward is reasonably secure due to the fact we have the Illawarra region.
Its simple stuff.

If you want to be pathetic, yeah I guess St George have lost a few games at Kogarah and an area of white on a logo, but EVERYTHING else in terms of identity hasn't changed. We don't have an ugly American style logo like a lot of the other mobs, we are still wearing the iconic red v (even though I hate that the V is interrupted with the sponsor, look at Easts jersey if you want to fix that up)

Yes the alternate jerseys in the last 20 years have been ordinary at best, that is actually a requirement.

Personally, I would like a scarlet away jersey with appropriate white hoops for away games, but I know that boils the blood of some of you pedants.

Anyway, rant over. I love reading this forum. But man, some of you guys are the crankiest lot of imbeciles I have ever come across, maybe if you put the same amount of effort into spelling, grammar and comprehension as you do trying to change the colour of the sun, you'd not be so bitter.

At least we have a team. At least the Illawarra have something too. Thank your lucky stars you were never Norths Supporters...
Spot on mate.... Seriously some people on this forum need those last two paragraphs tattoed into their foreheads so when they wake up in the morning they can look in the mirror and come back to earth from the parallel universe they inhabit...

possm

Coach

If people are still filthy about the joint venture 22 years late, move on to another team (blasphemy) or another sport. Its a tired, redundant and plain moronic argument.

Its simple stuff.

Yes the alternate jerseys in the last 20 years have been ordinary at best, that is actually a requirement.

Personally, I would like a scarlet away jersey with appropriate white hoops for away games, but I know that boils the blood of some of you pedants.

We don't OWN any of the Illawarra district. Other NRL clubs and sign any player from the region without consultation or permission from us.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
We don't OWN any of the Illawarra district. Other NRL clubs and sign any player from the region without consultation or permission from us.

Own, in the sense of taking ownership. Obviously we don't have a monopoly on the region or district.
I never insinuated that whatsoever.

What did I say about comprehension?

Willow

Assistant Moderator

I don't think denigrating the OP helps the discussion.

Not sure if you've read past the title of the thread, but the general consensus is that we don't break away. But obviously the situation is more complex than that.

I don't agree with this concept of 'breakaway' either, it's a bit short sighted. But there are always other options.

Cool. Then why are you in the argument?

Its simple stuff.

You realise that by saying "some of you guys are the crankiest lot of imbeciles I have ever come across" might put you in the same category?

If we are going to debate this, I think it's important to keep the aggro in check. This discussion has been going for years now, across many threads. So it's a discussion that obviously that needs to be had. Are you saying that everyone should just shut up?

SBD82

Coach
There's a good reason why 'the Illawarraites' never stuck as a nickname.

"The Illa-whats" you say? Yes, that was a nickname the media tried to give us some generations ago. Can't imagine why it didn't catch on. There was also the 'Dragon Slayers' in the early years, and this shortened to 'Dragons' over time. But the most enduring name since 1921 has been 'St George', or just 'Saints'.

You hear referees call us St George. You hear commentators call us St George or Saints (some are given the PC treatment for doing so). Fans call us St George or Saints. Even lots of players call us St George, including that much loved Steeler, Trent Barrett.

People can say what they like. But clearly St George hasn't gone away.
Illawarraites is an abomination.

We should be the St George Illawarriors.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Illawarraites is an abomination.
Isn't it ever? The time period isn't fully confirmed, 1920s with a possible re-mention later on. Some media creation I suspect. But I never heard of it before reading it in a book some years ago. I asked another another League historian to confirm it. I have no reason to doubt the word of the second guy.
We should be the St George Illawarriors.
Now that's what I call a syllabic jungle.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I don't think denigrating the OP helps the discussion.

Not sure if you've read past the title of the thread, but the general consensus is that we don't break away. But obviously the situation is more complex than that.

I don't agree with this concept of 'breakaway' either, it's a bit short sighted. But there are always other options.
Cool. Then why are you in the argument?
You realise that by saying "some of you guys are the crankiest lot of imbeciles I have ever come across" might put you in the same category?

If we are going to debate this, I think it's important to keep the aggro in check. This discussion has been going for years now, across many threads. So it's a discussion that obviously that needs to be had. Are you saying that everyone should just shut up?
Willow, you make good points. I am happy for there to be an intelligent discussion.

And I can see how I may have come across as a 'cranky imbecile' myself, so I apologise for the aggro.

I think in trying times, (like the best part of the last six years following this team) seeing arguments about breaking away or similar discussion, is not productive.

SBD82

Coach
Isn't it ever? The time period isn't fully confirmed, 1920s with a possible re-mention later on. Some media creation I suspect. But I never heard of it before reading it in a book some years ago. I asked another another League historian to confirm it. I have no reason to doubt the word of the second guy.

Now that's what I call a syllabic jungle.
At least it would remove the paradox from our moniker.

I mean, I understand it was a natural transition to contract Dragon Slayers to Dragons. But it’s always seemed a little odd to me that the first part of our name is renowned for slaying the second part.

If I was more superstitious, I’d say that we cursed ourselves with a self destructive streak.

Latest posts