What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Why wasn't Ropana allowed to playa super 15 or Japanese rugby or whatever it was and return to Canberra mid season? It was ruled out by NRL.
I am confused.

The difference is the Rapana's other deal is in another code. The NRL don't want to set up a situation where players sign to play Union and top up their salary in league at the end of the rugby season. SBW is signed to a Super League club, who have pulled out of the season.

emjaycee

Coach
If the federal government gives SBW (a non-Aussie passport holder) permission to enter the country there should be questions asked as to why he is getting special treatment. I know of families who have been separated for 3 months or more because one of the parents doesn't have an Aussie passport and our government is not letting them into the country.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If the federal government gives SBW (a non-Aussie passport holder) permission to enter the country there should be questions asked as to why he is getting special treatment. I know of families who have been separated for 3 months or more because one of the parents doesn't have an Aussie passport and our government is not letting them into the country.

they let Luke Thompson in.....

Glenneel

Bench
I doubt many players would like to earn a third of what they're worth. And what sort of shape would they be in if they miss all of preseason and most of the season?
Apparently Latrell Mitchell was offered $800k by Roosters (to go with the other 5-6 $800k plus salaries) and went to Souths on around $300k. Brilliant negotiating by him or his agent.

Glenneel

Bench
Asu Kepaoa? And merkins criticise us for having nuffies in our top 30.

How is releasing a player on minimum wage going to free up any money? If true the Roosters are treating everyone as a mug so if the NRL approve $BW deal just proves they have them in their pocket.

Sorry, forgot Roosters still have $1m left to spend on the cap. Best cap managers in the whole world! (with Broncos close second).

TheRam

Coach
All it can do is raise a red flag for NRL, they can’t dictate to players/clubs how much they should be paid within the agreed parameters with the RLPA.
Yeah we had the Folau situation, but is anyone still seriously hung up about that?

Who is suggesting that the NRL dictate any club how much they should pay? They should simply do what they have done before and not register a contract that is way below market value.

He is a million dollar plus player. Anything less is ridiculously under market value. The market has spoken NOT the NRL. It's not that freakin hard. Anything less and it is extremely suss.

No one is hung up on Folau, it is the precedent that they set with him that I am referring to. Use your grey matter a little please.

84 Baby

Referee
Who is suggesting that the NRL dictate any club how much they should pay? They should simply do what they have done before and not register a contract that is way below market value.

He is a million dollar plus player. Anything less is ridiculously under market value. The market has spoken NOT the NRL. It's not that freakin hard. Anything less and it is extremely suss.

No one is hung up on Folau, it is the precedent that they set with him that I am referring to. Use your grey matter a little please.
I believe the reason Folau’s was knocked back was due to the discrepancy in his year to year salary in the contract, which perhaps is within the agreement with RLPA. Using my grey matter, I can’t see how this is a decisive precedent.
There’s some veto power with the NRL in terms of a clubs overall salary, but they can’t and shouldn’t deny registration on the basis that one club offered more. Firstly, where do you stop? A dollar value? A percentage? You’re introducing more rules to a system clubs already struggle to keep within.
Secondly, can you not see how dictating players must take the highest offer could spiral out of control?
Sure it’s suss but all the NRL should do is make sure there was no other undeclared incentive for him to not take the bigger offer. Just like they should analyse the Tits for being able to make the bigger offer

emjaycee

Coach
How is releasing a player on minimum wage going to free up any money? If true the Roosters are treating everyone as a mug so if the NRL approve $BW deal just proves they have them in their pocket.

Sorry, forgot Roosters still have $1m left to spend on the cap. Best cap managers in the whole world! (with Broncos close second).
I would suggest that releasing the player wasn' done to free up any significant dollar value, but rather was done to free up a place in the top 30.

eel01s

Bench
I would suggest that releasing the player wasn' done to free up any significant dollar value, but rather was done to free up a place in the top 30.
Agreed. It is widely stated in the media that the Rooster were $300-400k under the cap, so they just need a spot in their squad.

TheRam

Coach
My peev with the way we are playing is that we are not playing to our strengths enough. We have in my opinion the best, most powerful and mobile pack and all ball players bar RCG in the starting six. So why are we not using them and running up the middle 3rd with numbers and short tip on passes more?

With our gorilla's and a bit of footwork we would destroy most other packs. Running in numbers up the middle(with venom, not soft c**k carries) with the new rules would be the most difficult strategy any opposing team could face. Once you establish that type of momentum then the quick out ball across the backline that Mahoney can deliver is lethal. Our play makers would then have options all over the place and defenses would shatter due to the inevitable compression in the middle. Once you get this right and it becomes the natural rhythm of the pack and backline synergy, defending teams will have psychologically lost before the game wondering how the hell they can stop this juggernaut? That is how all the great teams intimidate their opposition before they even step onto the field.

Sure we have a hell of a long way to go before we get to that type of team, if ever, but that should be our aim and aspiration as a club.

Also with our huge and very mobile two back rowers why don't we use the play that the Roosters were using when they had SBW in the team and get them to stack a side together and run at the 5/8th or centre in tandem. That way the defender has got to make a choice and as soon as his shoulder turns in one direction the ball player pulls the trigger. It worked beautifully for the Chooks throughout their Premiership year with SBW because they had a very similar powerful pack to ours in Sonny and Cordner.

We could and should do what works and is simple. We don't use our strengths properly from what I can see other then RCG being so dominant on his own up the middle, which is great and then whoever else can pile up next, but that is just going to burn him out or he may get another injury with so many tough carries against 3-4 defenders at a time. We need to use our dominance intelligently. There is a time for mindless charging up the middle and a time to use a little finesse along with that power. Running in numbers always thins out the herd so that our carries are more affective too.

D. Brown loves to run, but seldom makes a clean break. Well if we worked the middle over more effectively, he would have the opportunity to run against one on one defenses more often and wham-O, we are cooking DYOMITE! Waqa Blake is another that in the last few weeks has been threatening to break free, but there has just been to much traffic in front of him. We need to do much better as a team to give them space. Our forward play is the KEY.

Our attack has been struggling at times this season, when by all accounts we should be ripping most of these teams apart. We need some simple but affective strategies in this department. These are a couple that I think we would do well with and they don't need a degree to be executed correctly.

TheRam

Coach
I believe the reason Folau’s was knocked back was due to the discrepancy in his year to year salary in the contract, which perhaps is within the agreement with RLPA. Using my grey matter, I can’t see how this is a decisive precedent.
There’s some veto power with the NRL in terms of a clubs overall salary, but they can’t and shouldn’t deny registration on the basis that one club offered more. Firstly, where do you stop? A dollar value? A percentage? You’re introducing more rules to a system clubs already struggle to keep within.
Secondly, can you not see how dictating players must take the highest offer could spiral out of control?
Sure it’s suss but all the NRL should do is make sure there was no other undeclared incentive for him to not take the bigger offer. Just like they should analyse the Tits for being able to make the bigger offer

Spoken like Greenberg. A million nonsensical excuses that subdue you into paralysis and non-action. I posted like V'Landys. Every point you raised is easily navigated by a competent administration that can separate the non meaningful inertia creating crap that every bone head pundit, fan and what has been part of the NRL's makeup for the passed 20 odd years.

We need great leadership again and great leaders find ways that everyone else is amazed at.

IFR33K

Coach
Agreed. It is widely stated in the media that the Rooster were $300-400k under the cap, so they just need a spot in their squad.

Has there ever been a given year where roosters started the season and they have used up all their cap? Or not in a position to make a play for a marquee player when he became available

84 Baby

Referee
Spoken like Greenberg. A million nonsensical excuses that subdue you into paralysis and non-action. I posted like V'Landys. Every point you raised is easily navigated by a competent administration that can separate the non meaningful inertia creating crap that every bone head pundit, fan and what has been part of the NRL's makeup for the passed 20 odd years.

We need great leadership again and great leaders find ways that everyone else is amazed at.
Wow what a non-response. The NRL definitely could negotiate a power into player contracts that allows them to dictate how much individual players are going to get paid. Assuming there is a great leader who navigates the clubs telling him to shove it up his ass, gets it agreed upon, what rules are you going to enact to make it work and how are you going to ensure it’s not manipulated? And you can’t just answer “a great leader would get it done”.

oldmancraigy

Coach

For sure. It frees up a roster spot at minimum $.

If $BW wants to play for them for minimum $, then that is his perogative isn't it?
However, he can, under the quirks of the salary cap rules, earn significantly more than that. He can be given win bonuses and appearance fees - the salary cap hit of which is calculated by multiplying the bonuses by the number of NRL games played in the previous season (ie, 0).

The biggest issue will be whether or not he can keep his Wolfpack deal. If he can, then cash here isn't a massive issue - he takes $150k(ish) to play on minimum contract and incentives - all of which only counts as a minimum contract.
Any club could do it
However it seems only the Chooks have the guys at the top who can sell him on the idea of it all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They also allegedly have cap space, which could (would?) be added to the minimum salary of his roster spot. They would obviously include that minimum salary in their own calculations for how much to offer the player. The question is whether the media includes it in their (almost certainly sensationalist) reporting.

Latest posts