What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Exsilium

First Grade
It’s amazing that a 34 year old ex-NRL player is attracting so much attention.

He’s an athlete, yes. First grade footballer, yes.

Is he going to be the difference for the Roosters? No.

Quicksilver

Bench
It’s amazing that a 34 year old ex-NRL player is attracting so much attention.

He’s an athlete, yes. First grade footballer, yes.

Is he going to be the difference for the Roosters? No.

Well, in a salary cap league an extra 2% improvement could be enough to get them across the line over a team that didn’t get to add this high value player to their roster.

aqua_duck

Coach
Correct, but 400k is ridiculously low. If he was on the market in regular conditions someone would give him double that. Even as a conservative estimate I’d put him at at least 50% more.

so $600k should be the minimum. Even if we do want to bend the rules for this god’s gift to marketing.
I'd say $500k would be the ball park figure given his age and the risk factors, at the end of the day the market value rule has never been a hard and fast rule but rather something in place to prevent marquee players signing for minimum wage then being fully subsidised outside the cap.

GongPanther

Referee
A big fat asterik indeed. *

Canberra were the true premiers.
Nope, although the Raiders were let down by IMO a refereeing error, that does not guarantee that they would have scored.

And if you account for referee mistakes in a game, does one go through the whole game and fully anaylise which team was disadvantaged? No, because that would be taking it to the extreme.

It is was it is, and accepting the outcome one must do, or it'll eat you to the core.

Game_Breaker

Coach
You're basing his market value on a contract with completely different circumstances of the NRL salary cap i.e marquee player allowance 100% outside the salary cap which doesn't exist in the NRL so you can't just apply the same market value when cap isn't the same just like you can't just set Rapana's market value as what he would've got in Japanese rugby as it's a completely different market. Market value doesn't depend on outliers in a different market but what a NRL team would be happy to pay, this has always been the basis of how market value is measured.

I don’t think he’s market value is what a stupid Super League club paid, they paid above his market value

I’m saying the fact they paid him that much drives up his market value here and $400K a season is way below his market value
We know his approximate market value overseas and shouldn’t just ignore it

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I don’t think he’s market value is what a stupid Super League club paid, they paid above his market value

I’m saying the fact they paid him that much drives up his market value here and $400K a season is way below his market value
We know his approximate market value overseas and shouldn’t just ignore it
You literally just said his market value was the $5 mil wolf pack paid him, how many times do you intend on changing your stand

Mr Spock!

Referee
Souths loved Greenburgs made up market value bullshit when they picked up Glenn Stewart.
Whats the market value of a bloke whose at the end of his career and perpetually injured?

No wonder the Eagles didnt offer him a contrract.

We have a team in the Warriors, that is struggling to field a team, and putting the whole competition in jeopardy because of this challenge, and yet the strongest team in the comp will be recruiting a Kiwi international soon.

Peak NRL deadshit insular thinking.

But he doesn’t want to go there. There’s no draft to make him go there.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We have a team in the Warriors, that is struggling to field a team, and putting the whole competition in jeopardy because of this challenge, and yet the strongest team in the comp will be recruiting a Kiwi international soon.

Peak NRL deadshit insular thinking.

I don't get your logic here. The NRL can't force anyone to come to us. And I don't think I'd want him for 4-5 games anyway. Positive influence no doubt, but there should be fringe squad players and guys playing for their futures at the club who should be given first preference.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The NRL have decided SBW is worth $400k. Couldn't other teams in the comp, ie us, turn around and say well hold on, we're prepared to pay him much more. So how can his market value be $400k? That's what the other CEOs should be doing.

Oh but hold on, V'Landys says he's trying to make it happen too. So at least as someone said, the NRL are now transparent that they're favouring certain teams.

I'm not butthurt before I get accused - my team sucks and is lucky there are worse teams so we're not wacked with the spoon. But it's a pretty unjust system that allows SBW to be registered on this convenient $400k figure, the figure that Tautau Moga is on.

The NRL have decided SBW is worth $400k. Couldn't other teams in the comp, ie us, turn around and say well hold on, we're prepared to pay him much more. So how can his market value be $400k? That's what the other CEOs should be doing.

Oh but hold on, V'Landys says he's trying to make it happen too. So at least as someone said, the NRL are now transparent that they're favouring certain teams.

I'm not butthurt before I get accused - my team sucks and is lucky there are worse teams so we're not wacked with the spoon. But it's a pretty unjust system that allows SBW to be registered on this convenient $400k figure, the figure that Tautau Moga is on.

But he’s only playing 6-8 games. 4 if he goes to Warriors plus he’s 35 and been out of NRL for 6 years. You’ve gotta be realistic about his value.

Game_Breaker

Coach
You literally just said his market value was the $5 mil wolf pack paid him, how many times do you intend on changing your stand

I’m saying thats what they believe his market value is, and it wasn’t a valuation, they actually paid him. So that makes it more real than what you and I think it should be

To come up with a market value and ignore a contract he signed only last year is being disingenuous

Nor you should you be able too.

Has to be a choice, but the dollar and success are currency.

If not mistaken is a kiwi.

So we let dickheads with more money than sense dictate players’ values? Milford really is a million dollar player then and that’s what his next club has to pay?

Perth Red

Post Whore
He’ll be sht if his wolfpack form is anything to go by, at season end, in hindsight, his market value is likely To be two packets of tim-tams.

Latest posts