What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Mate I live in Penrith and right now it is a 31 min drive from my house to Bankwest in peak hour traffic. I could be on a train in 5 mins that would take 33 mins to get from my closest station to parra station. I do the trip all the time.
“Yeah I have a girlfriend she just goes to different school”

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Mate I live in Penrith and right now it is a 31 min drive from my house to Bankwest in peak hour traffic. I could be on a train in 5 mins that would take 33 mins to get from my closest station to parra station. I do the trip all the time.
im sorry dude but you must be on that men in black red button shit if you doing penrith to parra in 30 minutes during peak hour. driving upside down in the air, screaming over and past the other cars. all that shit. all controlling it with your little ps2 controller lmao

unforgiven

Bench
“Yeah I have a girlfriend she just goes to different school”
Mate, Im sitting in my house in Penrith right now, it has now dropped to a 30 min drive to Bankwest Stadium. If you get out more, you might actually meet a real girl and would also realise the trip from Penrith to Parra for a game of footy is an easy trip. Travelling the other way in peak hour you are looking at 50 mins to 1hr and 10 mins, but the trip in for a footy game usually has pretty good traffic.

unforgiven

Bench
im sorry dude but you must be on that men in black red button shit if you doing penrith to parra in 30 minutes during peak hour. driving upside down in the air, screaming over and past the other cars. all that shit. all controlling it with your little ps2 controller lmao
Mate its 30 mins from my place to Bankwest on google maps right now, doesn't even require a toll.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Mate, Im sitting in my house in Penrith right now, it has now dropped to a 30 min drive to Bankwest Stadium. If you get out more, you might actually meet a real girl and would also realise the trip from Penrith to Parra for a game of footy is an easy trip. Travelling the other way in peak hour you are looking at 50 mins to 1hr and 10 mins, but the trip in for a footy game usually has pretty good traffic.
Actually I’m married with six kids, sitting in my house in Penrith right now as well, doing very penrith things that are to be expected of Penrith people. I’m so penrithy right now. I, a penrith person, is saying that.

unforgiven

Bench
well that’s great dom torretto, tell letty I said hi. maybe one of her friends can help me meet this real girl you speak of

The proximity to Bankwest isn't even my argument against a new stadium in Penrith, it is the fact it would host 11 games a year. if they could organise another tenant to play 10 games there I would view it differently.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
but you sorta did yourself in by saying the city to penrith in peak hour is long, which is where many penrith folk have work. going city to penrith back to city then back to penrith on thursday and friday nights isn’t viable for many dads and their families

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The proximity to Bankwest isn't even my argument against a new stadium in Penrith, it is the fact it would host 11 games a year. if they could organise another tenant to play 10 games there I would view it differently.
why would a second tenant make you view it differently?

unforgiven

Bench
but you sorta did yourself in by saying the city to penrith in peak hour is long, which is where many penrith folk have work. going city to penrith back to city then back to penrith on thursday and friday nights isn’t viable for many dads and their families
I don't disagree with that, I was answering a question from someone asking how far from Penrith to Bankwest. As I said that is not my argument against a new stadium in Penrith. I'm lucky, as I do a lot of driving in my job but start and end my work day in Penrith so can usually still make games at Bankwest on a Thursday or Friday. I will state that I don't think Penrith should play the majority of their games anywhere else than Penrith, unless there was a stadium at Blacktown.

I just believe that the argument for a new stadium at Penrith is very weak.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To demonstrate the economics of stadiums...
30k at Geelong makes them more than $600k. 30k at Optus every week might break even. Contraction for a stadium twice as big is twice as much. The overheads for a stadium twice as big are twice as much. If you are currently averaging crowds of 12k (Manly, Penrith), you do not build a 30k stadium. You build 18k - 20k and watch the average increase to 15k - 16k. That would be 25% up and a good result.

But they dont get 30k at Optus, because it has bigger capacity both clubs are avg 50k! Having more capacity allows you to sell more seats to more people and earn more money! An 18k stadium is going to avg 15k seat sales, a 30k stadium (if the club is run well) is going to allow you to sell a lot more. Its basic economics lol.
If Manly cant get just 20k people to games in a catchment of 1/2million for their regions main popular sport then they arent running their business well and probably shouldnt be taking up an NRL license (or any other club for that matter). We arent talking about them achieving WC Eagles level of fan engagement here, we are talking about increasing avg crowds by around 5k to 6k people!

unforgiven

Bench
But they dont get 30k at Optus, because it has bigger capacity both clubs are avg 50k! Having more capacity allows you to sell more seats to more people and earn more money! An 18k stadium is going to avg 15k seat sales, a 30k stadium (if the club is run well) is going to allow you to sell a lot more. Its basic economics lol.
If Manly cant get just 20k people to games in a catchment of 1/2million for their regions main popular sport then they arent running their business well and probably shouldnt be taking up an NRL license (or any other club for that matter). We arent talking about them achieving WC Eagles level of fan engagement here, we are talking about increasing avg crowds by around 5k to 6k people!

Which is an increase of more than 30%, you know that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The evidence on new, modern stadia is quite clear:

- Broncos average crowd at Brisbane's old shithole ANZ Stadium slumped to 19,700 by the time they moved out to the rebuilt Suncorp Stadium, then their crowds grew year-on-year to a peak of 35,000 in 2010

- Melbourne averaged 11,900 at Olympic Park when they moved out and their crowds have grown year-on-year to a peak of 16,100 in 2019

- Parra averaged between 10 - 15k for most of their recent history with the odd exception, their new stadium delivered an average of over 18k in the first season which would have been higher again this year if not for COVID

Cowboys will follow suit, no doubt the Roosters will get a bump in crowds at the new SFS

Sydney's ANZ is not an example of a modern, purpose built RL ground but even the permanent tennants in this imperfect example have had a bump from playing there despite all of its drawbacks:

Souths average crowds before moving to ANZ were around 10k most years with a few exceptions. Since 2007 at ANZ they have averaged either 15k or above in all but one season.

Bulldogs average crowds before moving to ANZ were around 10k most years. Since 1999 at ANZ they have averaged around 15k or higher every year except 2000 which was 12k.

This doesn't include the evidence from AFL having upgraded grounds and having bumps in crowd numbers as a result.

People say they want the nostalgia of the suburban grounds but there is overwhelming evidence to suggest that if you build a moderrn, purpose built facility people will attend in greater numbers.

Bukowski

Juniors
The evidence on new, modern stadia is quite clear:

- Broncos average crowd at Brisbane's old shithole ANZ Stadium slumped to 19,700 by the time they moved out to the rebuilt Suncorp Stadium, then their crowds grew year-on-year to a peak of 35,000 in 2010

- Melbourne averaged 11,900 at Olympic Park when they moved out and their crowds have grown year-on-year to a peak of 16,100 in 2019

- Parra averaged between 10 - 15k for most of their recent history with the odd exception, their new stadium delivered an average of over 18k in the first season which would have been higher again this year if not for COVID

Cowboys will follow suit, no doubt the Roosters will get a bump in crowds at the new SFS

Sydney's ANZ is not an example of a modern, purpose built RL ground but even the permanent tennants in this imperfect example have had a bump from playing there despite all of its drawbacks:

Souths average crowds before moving to ANZ were around 10k most years with a few exceptions. Since 2007 at ANZ they have averaged either 15k or above in all but one season.

Bulldogs average crowds before moving to ANZ were around 10k most years. Since 1999 at ANZ they have averaged around 15k or higher every year except 2000 which was 12k.

This doesn't include the evidence from AFL having upgraded grounds and having bumps in crowd numbers as a result.

People say they want the nostalgia of the suburban grounds but there is overwhelming evidence to suggest that if you build a moderrn, purpose built facility people will attend in greater numbers.
Correct. Tigers fans crap on about Leichhardt and Campbo but they ave just 12k there but 18 at ANZ.

Quicksilver

Bench
Brisbane ANZ and Melbourne Olympic weren’t really Rugby League stadiums. They were athletics fields. They weren’t rectangular and the experience was not great. I don’t think anyone has ever claimed they were any good- Especially Brisbane.

I mean Brisbane ANZ was a poor man’s Sydney ANZ.

Souths were playing out of a superior RL stadium before moving to ANZ- those attendance figures are likely due to other factors. Such as them not being shit anymore and the movement of their supporter base to the west.

Quidgybo

Bench
On the same line of thought as the Sea Eagles adopting the name “North Sydney” or “North Sydney - Central Coast” to expand their local catchment, I can’t say I’ve ever heard the name “Botany Bay” mentioned in an NRL context. I’m wondering if something like “Cronulla - Botany Bay” would subtlety expand the club’s appeal northwards, beyond the Shire, perhaps putting pressure on Saints in the long term to more completely move out to Wollongong?

Yes, yes, “stadium” thread, I know. I was just thinking about this in the context of where do you build the southern Sydney, BankWest-style stadium?

Leigh

Latest posts