What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Eelementary

Post Whore
How old is the house? When you say the builder has disappeared, I'm assuming it's a recently built house, potentially covered under the 5 or 7 year builders warranty or however long the period is these days... Surely Dept. Of Fair Trading could give you some advice...

It is a duplex, built in 2018.

The inspection found that it wasn't an issue, and lo and behold, when we had those two weeks of non-stop rain in February, the room flooded.

I managed to get it under control, but I'd rather it didn't happen again!

hindy111

Post Whore
It is a duplex, built in 2018.

The inspection found that it wasn't an issue, and lo and behold, when we had those two weeks of non-stop rain in February, the room flooded.

I managed to get it under control, but I'd rather it didn't happen again!

I know quite a few people place that flooded then. Sometimes when cop what we did like that it can be very hard to avoid. But it might be something that may not have to worry about unless there was a crazy once every 5-10yr storm. Might even be able to have some sandbags handy for time being just incase untill able to resolve completely.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The authorities who signed off on the property, before we purchased it.

We also paid to have a defect inspection, before moving in, and he didn’t put it in his report.

bit sus, but to be fair it would be hard to pick up a fault like that unless it was raining heavy

Eelementary

Post Whore
zb0Lq9m

https://ibb.co/zb0Lq9m
https://ibb.co/1z4bhJH
https://ibb.co/X4xqW2w
https://ibb.co/z5dsYrw
https://ibb.co/k93DrSj
https://ibb.co/rmWSHHC
https://ibb.co/jVYw40Y
1z4bhJH

X4xqW2w

z5dsYrw

Eelementary

Post Whore
bit sus, but to be fair it would be hard to pick up a fault like that unless it was raining heavy

Yeah, and it is a fair point.

I have uploaded some photos.

But I will try and get a professional to come and see them in person - the photos are probably hard to see what is going on.

Incorrect

Coach
There are so many dodgy builds out there. My folks bought a brand new owner/builder duplex a while back (have since moved elsewhere). They had a balcony off their master bedroom. If there was heavy rain and the wind was blowing from a certain direction, water was leaking and settling in the ceiling space below the balcony which was above the garage. Eventually the gyprock rotted of course and the ceiling collapsed. They were just lucky it was above the garage and not the living room etc. They spent a fair bit getting the balcony Re-tiled and waterproofed etc and of course replacing the ceiling but even up to the time they sold it, water was still getting in somewhere...

Eelementary

Post Whore
There are so many dodgy builds out there. My folks bought a brand new owner/builder duplex a while back (have since moved elsewhere). They had a balcony off their master bedroom. If there was heavy rain and the wind was blowing from a certain direction, water was leaking and settling in the ceiling space below the balcony which was above the garage. Eventually the gyprock rotted of course and the ceiling collapsed. They were just lucky it was above the garage and not the living room etc. They spent a fair bit getting the balcony Re-tiled and waterproofed etc and of course replacing the ceiling but even up to the time they sold it, water was still getting in somewhere...

It's disgusting.

We have a little terrace type of thing, leading to pur backyard (it's a single-storey place), and the gyprock in the ceiling of that outdoor area has already cracked, and is buckling (they didn't even attach it correctly).

I have since patched the crack, but because they never did the gyprocking job properly, it will continue to sag, and crack.

Having worked in a paint shop for almost 10 years, I am aware that 90% of builders are excellent, honest, and hard-working people - but there is a small percentage of people who are just scum.

The builder who built the two duplexes is actually the owner of the property; he agreed to accept a price we offered him, and then changed his mind a week later.

This guy is a bum.

When I politely reached out to him to rectify the faults, he came in one day (while I was at work; he showed up unannounced), and sweet-talked my wife into thinking that the defects were not an issue. She was a bit overwhelmed, and didn't know what to do, so she took his word for it.

I am a little peeved that a house that is under 2 years old has:

* tiles falling off the front verandah
* gyprock sagging, and cracking, on the rear porch
* drainage issues
* skirting boards that are unattaching themselves from the walls in certain spots
* a paint job that was obviously performed with no care (there are bubbles, different sheen levels, and different colours used, all on one wall/door/skirting board)
* a ducted air conditioning system that was not properly installed (which has since been fixed)

I'm not wishing to complain, and I don’t think I'm an unreasonable man.

But the defects that MUST be fixed are the drainage issues, and the sagging/cracking gyprock at the back, and he has dodged us.

I'm worried that I may not be able to take this higher - we have lived in the house for over 12 months (we moved in May 2019).

Things happen, but I'm a bit disappointed that the guy who built the house has dodged us so far.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

when you look down those gully pits is there a 90 deg bend connected to the pit or is there some drainage pipe between the pit and the first bend ?

does the vent hole in the brickwork allow access to below your floor level or above floor level

what is the floor constructed of ?

is the floor level more than 75mm (give or take) above the outside ground level being a conc patio or what ever it is ?

Eelementary

Post Whore
when you look down those gully pits is there a 90 deg bend connected to the pit or is there some drainage pipe between the pit and the first bend ?

does the vent hole in the brickwork allow access to below your floor level or above floor level

what is the floor constructed of ?

is the floor level more than 75mm (give or take) above the outside ground level being a conc patio or what ever it is ?

I believe there is a drainage pipe between the pit and the first bend.

I believe the vent hole would access below the floor level.

The floor is concrete.

I don’t think the level would be more than 75mm above the outside ground level; maybe 50mm, or so.

As an interim solution, we dug some channels, to channel the water to trickle down to the street, rather than pool outside the room, and seep into that room.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The vent in the closeup, when you follow the brickwork appears to be in a course above the step in the doorway?

Which would mean it's also above floor height, or at least a course above the rebate in the slab?

Which would mean it's only ever going to let water in, not out?

Eelementary

Post Whore
The vent in the closeup, when you follow the brickwork appears to be in a course above the step in the doorway?

Which would mean it's also above floor height, or at least a course above the rebate in the slab?

Which would mean it's only ever going to let water in, not out?

I think you are right.