What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Not a fan of Freddie’s suggestion about certain Sydney clubs merging. He is potentially advocating a Greater West Sydney side involving us and the West Tigers? He also suggests a merger between the Dragons and Sharks? Sure I am selfish but I just couldn’t cop it, if it ever did come to fruition.

forby

Juniors
We don’t want or need the WT!
If he is talking identity merge Souths with WT as they appear to want to be a western Sydney club!

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
My understanding is that Penrith, Parramatta and West Tigers in that order have the three largest Junior Leagues. West Tigers with the Bulldogs makes more sense. Also why don't some of the other clubs follow Penrith's lead and develop a relationship with a country area. We are certainly reaping the benefits

Exactly. I think it was a throwaway question thingy from a fan. The relationship with a country area (thanks Gus) has been of huge benefit to the club.

Also other clubs who actually have juniors should actually think about spending some money to develop them, instead of continually poaching. I'm looking at you Slimes, W/T, Dogs.

betcats

Referee
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...l/news-story/2f0392ba2e5d107c14e9594b089b6286

Penrith flyer Brent Naden can’t travel home to Wellington in NSW’s Central West due to the NRL’s COVID-19 restrictions, but his thoughts are always with the town that helped him live out his first-grade dreams.

Naden is starring for the table-topping Panthers, but he wouldn’t be where he is today without his rugby league journey that started with the Cowboys on the banks of the Macquarie River.

Wellington, a 30-minute drive from Dubbo, only has a touch over 4000 people, and it has experienced countless problems with drugs and domestic violence, but the town is a proven NRL breeding ground.

Stars from the past and present like Terry Fahey, Blake Ferguson, Tyrone Peachey and Kotoni Staggs all hail from the western heartland.

Naden is also a proud Wellington Cowboys junior – a club that has gone to great lengths to use football as a vehicle to push social change.

Fittingly in the NRL’s Indigenous Round, the Panthers outside back and passionate Wiradjuri man paid tribute to the Cowboys community for his rise to the top-grade ranks.

“It’s more than a footy club, it is like a big family,” declared Naden, who has scored five tries in his seven appearances for Penrith this season.

“Once you are a Cowboy, you are always a Cowboy, and we just look out for each other.

“I’ve still got mates that play there.

“The club has cleaned up its act a bit. It had a bit of a reputation as a fighting club, but they’ve cleaned that up.

“The Cowboys are my junior club, so if I wasn’t playing for them, I don’t think I would have got picked up anywhere – I owe a lot to them.

“I haven’t been back home due to all the COVID stuff, which sucks, but before that I’d get back there as much as I could to watch them play.”

Naden will play for his people in Wellington when he runs out for Penrith against Manly at Lottoland on Saturday night.

He is expecting the Sea Eagles to come after the competition-leading Panthers, especially at Fortress Brookvale.

“We have a target on our back now, so every team is going to come for us,” he said.

“We know that week in and week out from now on, so we have to aim up.”

Naden says halfback Nathan Cleary has evolved as a leader to prevent the Panthers from getting a big head.

He also credits five-eighth Jarome Luai for providing the lighter moments as the man to replace James Maloney in the team clown stakes.

“Jarome is the biggest pest,” he grinned.

“He has always got a smart-arse move.”

John Hamblin

Juniors
The other issue with any proposed mergers is there are too many inner city clubs, The population growth is in the outer suburbs so any mergers should be with clubs like Easts, Souths, St George, West Tigers, Bulldogs etc

Crashtest

Juniors
I found this comment about Gould in the Western Weekender interesting, and may be why he left so abruptly last season:

Talk that Phil Gould could join the NRL as a consultant has surely raised a few eyebrows at the Panthers. Penrith officials know all too well the good that Gould can do for an organisation, but they also know that it can be a rocky and unpredictable roller coaster ride at times. There’s a number of officials who would prefer Gould not get the NRL gig.

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/07/masked-panther-big-names-set-to-re-sign/

Bob

Juniors
From the Telegraph article Fittest, Fastest, Strongest

PANTHERS
Fittest: Dylan Edwards

Fastest: Charlie Staines

Strongest: Viliame Kikau, overall. Nathan Cleary, pound for pound.

Quickest back in 2020: Stephen Crichton 34.1km/h Round 8

Quickest forward in 2020: Liam Martin 33.0km/h Round 2

In the words of Penrith’s head of performance Hayden Knowles, the Panthers roster is littered with “freakish athletes”. But there are two players in particular that stand out – Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris. “Nathan Cleary is very strong, if not the strongest half I’ve ever worked with,” Knowles said. “He’s lifting a hell of a lot more than last year and you can see it on the field where he’s breaking more tackles. His power clean lift of 130kg, to put in perspective, some forwards can clean 150kg.”

f255406e9f63ad7f070211672423cd24

Nathan Cleary’s strength is building. Picture: Nick Walshaw
The star halfback threw his added weight around in round 10 against North Queensland, when he cut down Justin O’Neill and big man Coen Hess in a matter of seconds. Cleary said his improved strength had given him the confidence to go after a game changing or inspirational play.

“The kind of aggression in the Cowboys game, I just couldn’t control it … it came back to trying to be a leader and have an impact on the team. A bit of weight helps in defence, I’m still getting bumped off a fair bit so I’ll try to fix that,” Cleary said.

Knowles also labelled Fisher-Harris “a beast” – not for the form forward’s strength but his work ethic, in which he is leading the way at the foot of the mountains.

“If you tell the boys ‘hey listen, just go have a sweat up get yourself ready for training’, he’ll go straight to the rowing machine and start flogging himself,” Knowles said.

“I had to call him every day during the COVID break to make sure he wasn’t overdoing it.”