What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors targeting JDB & Aitken

possm

Coach
Good analysis DS which concludes that one of the rumored players cant be right. Think jack owes us a heap of loyalty and provided no other offer is more than 20% better you would think he should stay with us BUT does he hold Mcidiot in high regard AND does the club acknowledge that the whole saga has been fundamental in our form line the past couple of seasons so best release him ? Normally you would say the Board needs to make a judgement call on this but that scares the s.it out of me. AND on a positive note perhaps the new coach will make this call !
If the football department is operating within its budget, the Board does not play a part in the signing of a player. The contract is presented to the CEO and approved by the CEO. However, if any transaction causes concern, (long-term or short-term) to the Board, then the CEO will present this to the Board with a recommendation to approve/not approve.

With regard to senior appointments in the Club, apart from his own appointment, the CEO will provide a reccommendation to the Board for approval/not approval.

CEO recommendations to the Board are placed on the agenda for Board meetings by the CEO.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ramsey has never played a game of
First grade in his life. Plus he’s built like a sign post. There’s no way he can play centre

Yes , that is the problem with many of our younger players , however should the right individual be coaching the Dragons next year (?) he may be able to blood him in the top grade on a number of occasions to give Ramsey a taste of what 1st grade is all about .

That is if the young fella is able to bulk-up a bit during the off season . There no doubting that Ramsey has tremendous ability , but by the same token we cannot afford to throw him to the lions unless he is fully prepared for top grade NRL on a weekly basis .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Yes , that is the problem with many of our younger players , however should the right individual be coaching the Dragons next year (?) he may be able to blood him in the top grade on a number of occasions to give Ramsey a taste of what 1st grade is all about .

That is if the young fella is able to bulk-up a bit during the off season . There no doubting that Ramsey has tremendous ability , but by the same token we cannot afford to throw him to the lions unless he is fully prepared for top grade NRL on a weekly basis .
Spot on mate

Gareth67

First Grade
My favourite player Graeme Langlands was pretty gangly and wiry but was a great fullback and centre. Ramsey has special skills and needs to get a go. Billy Smith was also a great centre when he was not playing half. Both were light in frame but could tackle and had speed.

I recall a game against South Sydney back in the late ‘60’s when the Rabbitohs had their minor run of premierships . I think that it was our hard as nails regular center Ken Maddison whom was out injured and they put Billy Smith in his place .

I knew that he he could tackle , however the performance he put on that day was absolutely outstanding. The big Souths forwards were running at him most of the game and the little Saint stop each and every one of them .

Well those wittle wascal wabbits realized too late in the game that they were getting nowhere with this tactic and the mighty Saints went marching on to victory partially because of Smithy’s standout defensive effort .

As you said the man was a great player in either position and certainly deserved all the accolades that he received in a tremendous career .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
My favourite player Graeme Langlands was pretty gangly and wiry but was a great fullback and centre. Ramsey has special skills and needs to get a go. Billy Smith was also a great centre when he was not playing half. Both were light in frame but could tackle and had speed.
I agree with you, Ramsey would make a good fullback, centre and winger.

Reg Gasnier was the greatest centre of them all - 180cm and 81kg were his playing stats.
Not exactly a giant wouldn't you say?
The game has changed but not that much.
Centres still need speed off the mark, footwork, good passing skills and solid defence.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

both also played at a time when players had other jobs outside of RL. They’d also go to the pub after training and a match because that’s Just what they did. These days players are full time professionals that spend hours training and at the gym. These days, centres have to be strong and fast as it’s one of the hardest positions to defend. A bloke built like Ramsey wouldn’t last a game at centre.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree with you, Ramsey would make a good fullback, centre and winger.
He’d be smashed at centre. Why people want to rush this kid into FG is beyond me. Just because our first graders are shit merkins, doesn’t mean our best reserve graders can easily slot in. The kid played well during the 9s. So did Jai Field, and he isn’t killing it in first grade.

Last edited:

George Sancti

Juniors
He’d be smashed at centre. Why people want to rush this kid into FG is beyond me. Just because our first graders are shit merkins, doesn’t mean our best reserve graders can easily slot in. The kid played well during the 9s. So did Jai Field. And he isn’t killing it in first grade.

I also believe that he is our best junior, whilst not yet physically ready for first grade. Another off season to build up, and some time in the lower grades and he may be ready for a wing position towards the middle of 2021.

RedVDave

First Grade
I don't think I'd be to upset if JBD left let all the drama be someone else's problem.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be really poor form if he left though.

George Dragon

Juniors
St George Illawarra centre Euan Aitken will leave the Dragons at season’s end after agreeing to join the New Zealand Warriors on a three-year deal.

In a signing coup for both New Zealand and new coach Nathan Brown, Aitken on Tuesday told St George Illawarra teammates that he will be leaving the club at the end of the year to join the Warriors for the 2021 season.

One of the Dragons’ most consistent performers this year, Aitken was being hunted by several rivals but committed to the Warriors following Brown’s appointment.

Aitken wanted to remain at Wollongong but was not offered a deal beyond this year

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/88120c0e283ae8d585604b694203b058