What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

The Friz

Juniors
My point exactly. 20 hit ups, the most of all the forwards for both sides. Not saying the kid is origin material but to say he isn’t top 30 material and a plodder is a tad harsh. I think he is coming along quite well considering he is 23 yrs old with 50 games under his belt
He wouldn’t make the bench of the top sides. You be happy with him if you want, that’s your perogative. I don’t rate him and hope the club aims higher or develops better.

redv13

Bench
He wouldn’t make the bench of the top sides. You be happy with him if you want, that’s your perogative. I don’t rate him and hope the club aims higher or develops better.
Everyone has an opinion and we agree to disagree. No issues with that at all

St Tangles

Bench
I think he needs to work on his play the ball speed and fight when getting tackled

One thing all our forwards do is submit in tackles where other side's fight it's the main reason we don't get repeat set's

possm

Coach
He’s a good defender, puts a lot of kick pressure on. Props take a fair while to mature. He’s not bowling people over or anything but I think he’s building nicely.
Vaughan
Welch
De Belin
Kerr

Merrin
Lawrie
K Sims
Ellis
Blacker

I'd say Vaughan and Kerr must be included in the 17 and that we need at least one hard-nosed prop for the rest to follow, maybe this is Welch. So if De Belin is available my prop rotation in the 17 would be:
Vaughan
Welch

De Belin
Kerr

With Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock, we have a very solid middle third.

Who do we let go to allow for junior talent to come through, is it K Sims and Merrin? My reserve grade prop rotation would be:

Lawrie
Ellis
Blacker
New junior prop

I think there is enough there to ensure good depth and rotation throughout the season.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fair enough Forbes. For Lawrie to be effective he has to work on having a real big motor and ( out of his control i know ) have some big boppers in the pack so his style can compliment them. Like all players in our side , we don't know how far they can improve with a real coach over them so hopefully we will see that next season.Tonights game showed we arn't as bad as we all thought.
Yeah I agree with that. We still need a real line bender. He will probably be more a James Graham type player. I think he needs to add an offload he can already pass.

FlameThrower

Bench
Best game so far this year. I do think he can get a bit more of fitness and muscle bulk. But as a bench player he is ok, still young. Needs a bit more mentoring.

Como Connection

First Grade
Vaughan
Kerr
De Belin

Merrin
Lawrie
K Sims
Ellis
Blacker
De Belin?

I'd say Vaughan and Kerr must be included in the 17 and that we need at least one hard nosed prop for the rest to follow. That is 8 props and only one more to be selected in the 17.
Vaughan
New prop to replace Graham
Kerr
....... De Belin?
Who takes up the fourth spot in the prop rotation, is it De Belin?
Who do we let go to allow for junior talent to come through, is it K Sims and Merrin?
Sims and Host both played well last night, they never receive much game time.
Host should start in front of Tyrell for mine.
CC

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Lawrie is definitely a goer, but the try he let in was disappointing and undoes all the tough stuff he delivered. Protecting the line is a ‘badge of honour’ and points AGAIN to modem day poor tacking technique (the wonderful grab).

I’d NOW consider moving Fritzell to prop! We know what he can do and is leaving; furthermore, he always comes back into the middle anyway, is somewhat limited in his ball skills but tough enough to handle the swap.

Start with Kerr and rotate Lawrie and Korbin Simms from the bench, which allows Host to demonstrate his talents as a starting second row edge runner. Host has a bit more size( much needed) than the others and this experiment could provide an opportunity to see whether he should be part of the Dragons forward pack rebuild or not.

Last edited:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Daley rates Dean Young an astute coach. He has 6 more games to prove his worth. Probably he and Flanagan could do 2021 together and then decide on a longer term coach for 2022 onwards.

possm

Coach
Host never got a fair run under Mary. Make a perfect 2nd rower parked on the edge. Runs great lines and defends strongly. Must be resigned ASAP!!
So we lose Frizell and possibly lose De Belin and some think Host is the answer. I'd say:

T Sims
New backrower
McInness

Should be our run-on backrow with Ford on the bench.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Lawrie is like Aitken. Can run hard and straight and can effect a head on tackle really well. Both players struggle to beat a player in front of them and step into a hole. Both do not pass the ball.

I think Millward extended Lawries contract until the end of 2022 so he is one of the untouchables. All we can hope for is that the club appoints a good and experienced forwards coach to school our young props in the skills of bending the line, offloading the ball and crunching the opposition in defence.
Lawrie didn’t effect a head on tackle very effectively last night!

_Johnsy

Referee
It was Lawrie's best game last night. Still not enough to warrant continuation re: patience with him, but there was some improvement.

denis preston

First Grade
Lawrie is definitely a goer, but the try he let in was disappointing and undoes all the tough stuff he delivered. Protecting the line is a ‘bade of honour’ and points AGAIN to modem day poor tacking technique (the wonderful grab).

I’d NOW consider moving Fritzell to prop! We know what he can do and is leaving; furthermore, he always comes back into the middle anyway, is somewhat limited in his ball skills but tough enough to handle the swap.

Start with Kerr and rotate Lawrie and Korbin Simms from the bench, which allows Host to demonstrate his talents as a starting second row edge runner. Host has a bit more size( much needed) than the others and this experiment could provide an opportunity to see whether he should be part of the Dragons forward pack rebuild or not.
Host running lines off Clunes passes, just like under 20's all over again.For some reason the first things to go under McGone's grand plan is running lines ( as none passes for it ) and offloads. safety first football to just make the 8 but have no thoughts to how to win the comp.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We have enough backrowers. We should buy Welch and that's all. Our forwards were greatv last night and all that they need is game time. All we need is a super fast winger/centre who can score length of the field tries which could be Ramsey. Ellis looks all class.

The Friz

Juniors
We have enough backrowers. We should buy Welch and that's all. Our forwards were greatv last night and all that they need is game time. All we need is a super fast winger/centre who can score length of the field tries which could be Ramsey. Ellis looks all class.
Our forwards will get annihalated by the Storm or Roosters at full strength. We need an urgent injection of power. Find a couple of good up and coming Polynesians and get em in there ASAP.

Dragons4me

Juniors
My point exactly. 20 hit ups, the most of all the forwards for both sides. Not saying the kid is origin material but to say he isn’t top 30 material and a plodder is a tad harsh. I think he is coming along quite well considering he is 23 yrs old with 50 games under his belt

......in the front row!

Latest posts