What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Everytime Lawrie gets the ball, I just go 'ah okay the play's dead here.' He has no offload in him, half the time he just dives into tackles.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I wish people would get off his back. It is common knowledge that the majority of props don't come good until there mid 20's. Half our forward pack is missing due to injuries, covid or court cases and this kid's workload has increased ten fold so what's the answer, criticise him. Give the kid a break
Mid to late even I reckon 25-26 he’ll reach his peak and could potentially maintain it for 10 years off until mid 30s. He’s building very nicely imo. Runs hard plays good minutes. Watch the replay last night he was the one charging down Holmes kick, unsuccessfully but he was still ripping in 85 mins into the game.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Mid to late even I reckon 25-26 he’ll reach his peak and could potentially maintain it for 10 years off until mid 30s. He’s building very nicely imo. Runs hard plays good minutes. Watch the replay last night he was the one charging down Holmes kick, unsuccessfully but he was still ripping in 85 mins into the game.

Agree FCD- I'm quickly going off Ellis and Kerr-there was no ferocity in their attack on the line. Lawrie may not be the most skillful of props but he plays long minutes, runs very hard and seems to have no fear in the collisions and that holds him in good stead. Seems to have learnt good habits off James Graham.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree FCD- I'm quickly going off Ellis and Kerr-there was no ferocity in their attack on the line. Lawrie may not be the most skillful of props but he plays long minutes, runs very hard and seems to have no fear in the collisions and that holds him in good stead. Seems to have learnt good habits off James Graham.
He also takes all the hard hit ups not the ones into 5/8s he takes the straight up the guts into props runs that someone has to take.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I wish people would get off his back. It is common knowledge that the majority of props don't come good until there mid 20's. Half our forward pack is missing due to injuries, covid or court cases and this kid's workload has increased ten fold so what's the answer, criticise him. Give the kid a break

The best prop on the ground against the Cowboys- ran with great determination and consistently dented the line - put our other two props (Ellis and Kerr) to shame.

Mjab

Juniors
I’m not a big fan to date but the main issue I suspect with a lot of these guys is that Mary-was in charge And most players went backwards
Vaughn no good this year has been good past
Kerr has good games but no consistency, he’s young as is Lawrie
Frizell tries hard but terrible game plan and keeps coming back middle when he needs run wide
K sims no good get rid him
TariQ possibly busted or best behind him
ford looks too small for me
Lots issues in forwards

hopefully the new coach will sort stuff out and some may improve and if not move them on

slippery5

Juniors
Ok, I'll just say he is too slow & won't get any faster when he turns 24 nor will he grow any bigger to be a dominant prop.

BLM01

First Grade
Ok, I'll just say he is too slow & won't get any faster when he turns 24 nor will he grow any bigger to be a dominant prop.
BTW If you understand props he has no need to get faster
He needs to just learn to position his body st impact by getting a fraction lower to bounce off a few tackles and be a little bit harder to put down
A bit of footwork that will come in time and good coaching

redv13

Bench
BL has been one of our most consistent forwards all season but most on here simply don’t rate him and think he’s a reserve grade plodder which is disappointing. He has busted his ass all year and had very little back up from a few others who have been underwhelming tbh

kit66

Bench
He is still only young
Has not developed as a prop yet fully and he will get better

He's definitely improved this year and should keep getting better, just needs to work on his passing game and getting quicker play the balls like Kerr. He has a bit of a " top heavy " build so going into tackles upright can see him get tipped arse over, I suspect that's why he's developed a style to get lower or back in to tackles. Hopefully as he develops both strength and skill he can use his upper body to make more barging type runs causing would be high ( wrap up the ball ) tacklers to bounce off long enough to get his arms free for a pass. That's what I'd be coaching him to do anyway.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
BTW If you understand props he has no need to get faster
He needs to just learn to position his body st impact by getting a fraction lower to bounce off a few tackles and be a little bit harder to put down
A bit of footwork that will come in time and good coaching
Agree, I’d never question his toughness that’s for sure; but I would question his overall effectiveness in defence and how many times he drops the ball at crucial times in the game. I also question whether he can develop that further if he hasn’t got it by now. Notwithstanding, better footwork, more offloads and greater concentration in attack and defence would be welcome and like everyone in the side I feel he ‘has’ to improve at least 20% in all facets of his game to be considered a regular first grader and for Saints to be a more effective unit next year.

Last edited:

jak

Bench
Agree, I’d never question his toughness that’s for sure; but I would question his overall effectiveness in defence and how many times he drops the ball at crucial times in the game. I also question whether he can develop that further if he hasn’t got it by now. Notwithstanding, better footwork, more offloads and greater concentration in attack and defence would be welcome and like everyone in the side I feel he ‘has’ to improve at least 20% in all facets of his game to be considered a regular first grader and for Saints to be a more effective unit next year.
well at least he now has a coach that will help him.