What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bite or No Bite - that is the question

Did Proctor bite Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Can’t tell

Votes: 20 20.8%

• Total voters

coolumsharkie

Referee
Mal trying to say "It's not his go"

“It’s not in his character, he’s not that type of person to actually go out with intent and do things like that we’ll see what happens ....obviously his life felt threatened, he was choking so he felt that he needed to do something to get Shaun’s arm away to survive."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pr...diciary-after-shark-bite-20200816-p55m57.html

Thats hilarious. He's basically saying he bit him, to save his life. Good one Mal.

Personally I think they are making a big deal out of nuffin'. Leave it on the field, no harm was done and no lives were lost.

Leber

Bench
It 100% looks like a bite. The fact that Proctor is denying it so stridently is interesting though.

Wizardman

First Grade
No question at all that it was a bite. It doesn't matter about the circumstances surrounding it. The fact that Proctor took two chomps at it pretty much seals his fate for me.

One thing I will never truly understand in rugby league is the type of reaction from Shaun Johnson about keeping it on the field. If a player is a big enough dog to bite someone (which he is), then "honour" of that nature goes out the window for me. It is not an accident like a high tackle can be.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Two strong and aligned opinions from non-conflicted Mal and Gordy and I'm convinced. No bite, poor Kev, nothing to see here.

Meth

Staff member
Shouldn't have been a send off IMO. If Hetherington wasn't sent off in our game v Manly, no way Procter should have been. I know biting is a special category, but it just wasn't all that conclusive. As Gould said, Johnson's lack of reaction shows that if it was a bite, it was an extremely poor attempt at one.

Quicksilver

Bench
Shouldn't have been a send off IMO. If Hetherington wasn't sent off in our game v Manly, no way Procter should have been. I know biting is a special category, but it just wasn't all that conclusive. As Gould said, Johnson's lack of reaction shows that if it was a bite, it was an extremely poor attempt at one.

That’s why the evidence of the referee and the bite marks at the time is crucial. If they were present at the time then he bit him. (Unless Johnson bit himself which we could work out from the video)

If the referee saw bite marks at the time then he did the right thing by sending him off.

Meth

Staff member
That’s why the evidence of the referee and the bite marks at the time is crucial. If they were present at the time then he bit him. (Unless Johnson bit himself which we could work out from the video)

If the referee saw bite marks at the time then he did the right thing by sending him off.

Yeah, he said there was "clear evidence"- unsure whether that was marks or just what he saw on the screen

no name

Coach

That’s never been the case before, not sure why it would be now?

mave

Coach
Does it suprise anyone that H.Perenara has managed to find a way to make himself front and centre.

Frailty

First Grade

He literally reacted as soon as Proctor bit him FFS. What kind of reaction are you expecting?

"Wasn't all that conclusive" except for the video showing a bite, and Johnson's arm showing marks.

The fact that we have literally heard half a dozen of different excuses should just tell you it was clearly a bite. "I have sinus issues and couldn't breath", "He feared for his life", "He was choking me and was on my throat".

I may be in the minority here, which is sad, but if there is evidence of a player biting, they should be sent. As for Hetherington tackle, yep - he should have been sent too.

In these days of COVID-19, and the way we suspect the virus is transmitted, why would you be so stupid to put any part of your hand into another player's mouth?

I'm not condoning Proctor though. Biting has no place on the football field.

Quicksilver

Bench
In these days of COVID-19, and the way we suspect the virus is transmitted, why would you be so stupid to put any part of your hand into another player's mouth?

I'm not condoning Proctor though. Biting has no place on the football field.

Yeah, the evidence clearly shows Johnson trying to tickle Proctor’s tonsils with his fingers. -said Mal Meninger, probably

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Proctor's comments: "“It was a weird situation. I felt like I was being choked. I could feel my mouth being forced open and the pressure on my throat was getting tighter and tighter. I was finding it harder to breathe,”

So which is - your mouth being forced open or pressure on your throat? Because Johnson's forearm isn't that big.

This is so ridiculous that they can't even sort out their defence.

Latest posts