What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cause why would you want to get extra clients that take an hour to get too? That is benefit to suburban grounds get new sponsors that you normally wouldn't get

Jersey sponsors and alike no doubt love the better corporate facilites but if all did then every side would use these stadiums

I very much doubt the motivation for a "local" business to sponsor an NRL team $50k plus is for some pitch side advertising three games a year at Campbelltown that reaches just 12k people! You could run radio and local newspaper ads cheaper than that and reach a hell of a lot more local people. Most sponsors in NRL are in it as they have an affinity with the club, it is not a great general advertising vehicle and has a poor ROI in reality.

greenBV4

Bench
If you are say a local plumber in Campbelltown. you sponsor the WT for the local coverage...What is in it for playing at Parramatta?

So not all cases work in central places
Because first grade teams in a national competition should be striving for better sponsors than a local plumber?

also most sponsorship exposure would come from tv anyway

Quicksilver

Bench
I very much doubt the motivation for a "local" business to sponsor an NRL team $50k plus is for some pitch side advertising three games a year at Campbelltown that reaches just 12k people! You could run radio and local newspaper ads cheaper than that and reach a hell of a lot more local people. Most sponsors in NRL are in it as they have an affinity with the club, it is not a great general advertising vehicle and has a poor ROI in reality.

You might be surprised by the amount of networking that goes on in the chairman’s.

Local doesn’t necessarily mean small or poor either. They get a good buck connections out of mid to high tier wealth.

unforgiven

Bench
Then they shouldn't be running a multi Million $ sports business. If the fans want it and it makes commercial sense then you'd have to be plain stupid to not use the best RL stadium in Sydney because of a false perception of it belonging to Eels.

Its the fans that don't want it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You might be surprised by the amount of networking that goes on in the chairman’s.

Local doesn’t necessarily mean small or poor either. They get a good buck connections out of mid to high tier wealth.

You'd get the same opportunity at Bankwest, just in a nicer chairmans lounge!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its the fans that don't want it.

Evidence?

Tigers stadium avg last year

LO 14.1k (massively boosted avg by final sunday afternoon game v sharks)
Bankwest 11.8k
Camp 11.5k

Seems to me Tigers fans dont really care where they are playing, they are turning out in roughly same numbers.
At least B/W gives tigers some decent corporate facilities to sell and opportunity to have reciprocal membership deals with eels and Dogs.

Doggies havent played there enough to really tell but there one game last season, whilst low drawing (10k), was still better than 4 of their games at ANZ which drew sub 10k.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
Evidence?

Tigers stadium avg last year

LO 14.1k (massively boosted avg by final sunday afternoon game v sharks)
Bankwest 11.8k
Camp 11.5k

Seems to me Tigers fans dont really care where they are playing, they are turning out in roughly same numbers.
At least B/W gives tigers some decent corporate facilities to sell and opportunity to have reciprocal membership deals with eels and Dogs.

Doggies havent played there enough to really tell but there one game last season, whilst low drawing (10k), was still better than 4 of their games at ANZ which drew sub 10k.

I am involved on a Tigers forum and as I have told you before, the vast majority do not want us to have home games at Bankwest and would prefer ANZ. Personally I like really like Bankwest but am on the losing end of that discussion whenever it arises. There is currently a discussion about Liverpool and a large number wouldn't be happy with that either as it would like be built on Bulldogs owned land. I think it is ridiculous, but that is how a lot of people view it.

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting in that Roosters article, state the capacity of new SFS will be 42,500

I think the top two tiers have a total capacity of 15,000 or 7,500 each. Leaves 27,500 taking out the top tier. How many seats will be taken up by the SCG Trust ? I'd guess 5,000 on the middle tier of western stand. Leaves 22,500 corporate and general public tickets about perfect for NRL club games.

Craegus

Juniors
I am involved on a Tigers forum and as I have told you before, the vast majority do not want us to have home games at Bankwest and would prefer ANZ. Personally I like really like Bankwest but am on the losing end of that discussion whenever it arises. There is currently a discussion about Liverpool and a large number wouldn't be happy with that either as it would like be built on Bulldogs owned land. I think it is ridiculous, but that is how a lot of people view it.

I can 100% back you up on those points.

However I do agree with the others on the whole Bankwest and Liverpool points, though my issue with Liverpool is not that it would be on Bulldogs land, but that the infrastructure around that site is terrible for traffic at the best of times, and with the new tower developments in the same area it is only going to become worse. Add a stadium and it will just be ridiculous trying to get out of there.

Leichhardt is of course worse, but that comes with an inner city suburban ground, but for Campbelltown if a multistory carpark was built with new access to it on the opposite side of the train line, I think an upgraded Campbelltown would be the best choice for a stadium location.

It is next to the train station for those using public transport and access to the highway is fairly easy from the location if not driving from the stadium side (which in reality isn't that bad either if compared to leaving from ANZ).

franklin2323

Immortal

However I do agree with the others on the whole Bankwest and Liverpool points, though my issue with Liverpool is not that it would be on Bulldogs land, but that the infrastructure around that site is terrible for traffic at the best of times, and with the new tower developments in the same area it is only going to become worse. Add a stadium and it will just be ridiculous trying to get out of there.

Leichhardt is of course worse, but that comes with an inner city suburban ground, but for Campbelltown if a multistory carpark was built with new access to it on the opposite side of the train line, I think an upgraded Campbelltown would be the best choice for a stadium location.

It is next to the train station for those using public transport and access to the highway is fairly easy from the location if not driving from the stadium side (which in reality isn't that bad either if compared to leaving from ANZ).

All valid points. That is why there is no one size fits all as some want to believe. It is just getting the mix right

franklin2323

Immortal

You need to play where there fans/sponsors want it. I doubt any club board doesn't know what Fans want as far as home game locations

franklin2323

Immortal

Well in that case why doesn't someone like Cook's plumbing based in Windsor sponsor the Sharks or Manly?

franklin2323

Immortal

Nailed it. Plenty of decent well off mid range sponsors. If they can do business with those local and save travel then they will.

unforgiven

Bench

I don't think Campbelltown is very likely as a sole ground, as it is just too far away from Ashfield.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well in that case why doesn't someone like Cook's plumbing based in Windsor sponsor the Sharks or Manly?

Because like I said, they have an affinity for the "local" club,. They're not paying for the value of some advertising billboards at 3 Campbelltown games that have 11k at them. I'd suggest a plush box at Bankwest in front of 20k would be a better value return for them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Since when did a hyper minority of hardcore fans become representative of the fan base as a whole?

I'm not saying you are wrong, nor do I really have a dog in the fight, but I think it's very silly to base your opinion on something like that.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Because like I said, they have an affinity for the "local" club,. They're not paying for the value of some advertising billboards at 3 Campbelltown games that have 11k at them. I'd suggest a plush box at Bankwest in front of 20k would be a better value return for them.

Not if it isn't where their customer base is though. Plenty of Sydney clubs have local companies as corporate box sponsors.. If it was in the business sense to move clubs would

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not if it isn't where their customer base is though. Plenty of Sydney clubs have local companies as corporate box sponsors.. If it was in the business sense to move clubs would

they want to sponsor the local club, they’re not doing it for the billboards at the local ground.

Latest posts