What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Art Of Class War - The Monthly Article

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of interest, as I dont know to much about early game history here, why did RL start in Sydney and Brisbane and not go any further at the turn of the century? Was it because Union was in these two states and so the rebellion from Union made it the natural place for the game to begin? Why did the working classes of the other States not take up the game? Was AFL already ingrained and filling the sports void in those other states at time of RL's emergence?

Perth Red

Post Whore
V'Landy's seems to get AFL's arrogance. He doesn't have to say much to get under their skin and get the halfwits in Melbourne in a tizz. His "second rate event" crack had everyone south of the Barassi line foaming at the mouth. It was epic. FTR, when I heard it I laughed. He did more in one sentence to put AFL in its place than the fraud that was his predecessor did in his whole tenure.

He's embarrassing and just perpetuates the bogun image of RL that has stopped it from being as appealing a sport as AFL has become. Sadly I feel he is using RL to further his racing aims and I have grave fears for what TV deals he has signed us up to.

TheRam

Coach
Great essay, but what are the ARLC actually doing to change this class perception and divide? I mean all well and good knowing what is going on, doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar if you have been following League for a few years or decades, to know and feel this cringe that has developed in particular since the SL War, but how are they going to fix it?

For one I would start and I have said this before, get League into as many elite private schools as possible. Yeah I know all the naysayers as always will bring up a thousand excuses as to why and how it will never happen, but as always that is a losers and defeatists mentality. V'Landys thank heavens is a winner so he may have an actual strategy and plan for it. We certainly are in dire need for one and a significant part of leagues future is at stake on this outcome alone.

We need to get the future leaders of our country invested and openly loving our game and the media have to openly and to really love our game too. That will change everything going forward. I for one would engage Phil Gould in going to these leading private schools and engaging with the Principles and whoever else is necessary to bring about the change that has to happen to allow RL to be played in these schools. V'Landys himself may also need to get involved to get it over the line. The NRL needs to find out what needs to be done to make this happen and not rest unlit it does. The AFL have already started to do this in both NSW and QLD. They don't rest on their laurels or leave anything to chance. They know what has worked for them so far to eclipse the NRL in everything including TV ratings this year.

How much longer has the NRL got before it stops being considered as even a true rival to the AFL? I say 15 years max if V'Landys doesn't make significant positive progress on many fronts for the game of RL. The class divide and perception is just one. I used to say 20-30 years and AFL will take over and most of you fellow forumites would roast me and attack me and say it would never happen. Well look who's right now? I wish that I wasn't of course, but slowly and surely, the AFL have started to dominate the country including our RL States. The only place they haven't a clear advantage is participation in NSW and QLD. But that too will come. Of course not in the short to medium term, but in the long term future it is a distinct possibility. Around the 50 years from now mark, if we don't start to reverse all their gains and actually start to take some of their territories, they will have the dominant junior nurseries too.

Sounds like pie in the sky stuff and ridiculous, right? Watch this space if you are still around 2060 and onwards. But by then, like I have also said before, not many will care. League will not die a sudden death by any means. It is to well liked even now for that to happen. But like Stalin said of Communism's take over Capitalism, it will be like eating a salami, you do it one slice at a time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting two recent PM's have been RL fans but it did nothing to change the publics bogun perception of the sport. I guess AFL isnt competing with Union in reality so doesnt have the obvious class choice that the "Rugby's" presents?

AFL wont take over RL in NSW and Sydney but the more it strengthens in those States, whilst growing unchecked in its own, the quicker it moves to the undisputed #1 winter footy code in the country. You can see 20 years ago they adopted "Australias game" as a bit of brand shift and theyve just kept workign towards that.

I am not sure we have any metric now that NRL is actually ahead of AFL at a domestic level have we? Maybe viewers on Foxsports, that would be about it.

taipan

Referee
Whilst ever rugby league is kept out of GPS and Associated schools (where even AFL is allowed), the perception will remain.
If it were up to me,I'd organise a 9s inter school tournament for these schools.The trouble is the stuff shirts on the old school boards have too much control.
And whilst players carry on like loons in public, the current situation will remain as is.
Rugby league is a forgiving code, but the likes of T Carney getting so many 2nd ,3rd and 4th chances, just adds fuel to the bogan argument.He should have been pissed off years earlier.
And some of the media need a kick for sensationalising some incidents, for headline purposes.Buzz are you listening?

mongoose

Coach
Great essay, but what are the ARLC actually doing to change this class perception and divide? I mean all well and good knowing what is going on, doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar if you have been following League for a few years or decades, to know and feel this cringe that has developed in particular since the SL War, but how are they going to fix it?

For one I would start and I have said this before, get League into as many elite private schools as possible. Yeah I know all the naysayers as always will bring up a thousand excuses as to why and how it will never happen, but as always that is a losers and defeatists mentality. V'Landys thank heavens is a winner so he may have an actual strategy and plan for it. We certainly are in dire need for one and a significant part of leagues future is at stake on this outcome alone.

We need to get the future leaders of our country invested and openly loving our game and the media have to openly and to really love our game too. That will change everything going forward. I for one would engage Phil Gould in going to these leading private schools and engaging with the Principles and whoever else is necessary to bring about the change that has to happen to allow RL to be played in these schools. V'Landys himself may also need to get involved to get it over the line. The NRL needs to find out what needs to be done to make this happen and not rest unlit it does. The AFL have already started to do this in both NSW and QLD. They don't rest on their laurels or leave anything to chance. They know what has worked for them so far to eclipse the NRL in everything including TV ratings this year.

How much longer has the NRL got before it stops being considered as even a true rival to the AFL? I say 15 years max if V'Landys doesn't make significant positive progress on many fronts for the game of RL. The class divide and perception is just one. I used to say 20-30 years and AFL will take over and most of you fellow forumites would roast me and attack me and say it would never happen. Well look who's right now? I wish that I wasn't of course, but slowly and surely, the AFL have started to dominate the country including our RL States. The only place they haven't a clear advantage is participation in NSW and QLD. But that too will come. Of course not in the short to medium term, but in the long term future it is a distinct possibility. Around the 50 years from now mark, if we don't start to reverse all their gains and actually start to take some of their territories, they will have the dominant junior nurseries too.

Sounds like pie in the sky stuff and ridiculous, right? Watch this space if you are still around 2060 and onwards. But by then, like I have also said before, not many will care. League will not die a sudden death by any means. It is to well liked even now for that to happen. But like Stalin said of Communism's take over Capitalism, it will be like eating a salami, you do it one slice at a time.

The last bunch of prime ministers all openly supported or pretended to support League though..
Morrison - Sharks
Turnbull - Pretended he was a Roosters fan
Abbott - Manly
Rudd - feigned support for the Broncos
Howard was a Dragons man.

Albanese is a Rabbitohs tragic apparently.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Whilst ever rugby league is kept out of GPS and Associated schools (where even AFL is allowed), the perception will remain.
If it were up to me,I'd organise a 9s inter school tournament for these schools.The trouble is the stuff shirts on the old school boards have too much control.
And whilst players carry on like loons in public, the current situation will remain as is.
Rugby league is a forgiving code, but the likes of T Carney getting so many 2nd ,3rd and 4th chances, just adds fuel to the bogan argument.He should have been pissed off years earlier.
And some of the media need a kick for sensationalising some incidents, for headline purposes.Buzz are you listening?

Rugby League commenced at the AIC Colleges in Brisbane in 2019.

King hit

Coach
He's embarrassing and just perpetuates the bogun image of RL that has stopped it from being as appealing a sport as AFL has become. Sadly I feel he is using RL to further his racing aims and I have grave fears for what TV deals he has signed us up to.
The more you cry about him the more I’m convinced he is doing a good job. Do you honestly believe that con artist Beattie could’ve restarted the comp. I highly doubt it

taipan

Referee
V'landys got the comp up and running early May 28th and was ridiculed by AFL and Union media types for being arrogant ,and daring to do so whilst the country was in lockdown.All completely ignoring the fact, the strictest bio protocols were in place(advised by a biological expert none less than a Professor) ,such protocols met the standards required by Governments in both NSW and Qld.
The fact some NRL player numbnuts broke these protocols and a coach FMD, is not the fault of V'Landys.
The NRL comp continues, the also ran AFL and Union types(helloo Hanky Head)who bagged V"landys and the Apollo team, all ended up with lashings of egg on their faces.
That a so called "bogan" Greek born(yet uni educated) leader of a football code achieved this ,says little for the stiff shirted twats on a couple of the other codes, who called him arrogant, yet followed him a couple of weeks later.
To date by getting the comp running and hopefully completed by year's end ,will save the NRL $400m plus.If that's the work of a down to earth human being(a so called "bogan") who calls a spade a spade, he can lead me into battle any time against the Hanky Heads and Polo Pony riders of this world..

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more you cry about him the more I’m convinced he is doing a good job. Do you honestly believe that con artist Beattie could’ve restarted the comp. I highly doubt it

Every comp in the country restarted, so yep I think he could of, in fact it would have been the CEO not Beattie who restarted it, thats why we pay CEO's! The day your board start running the company operations is a worrying day for the company.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Every comp in the country restarted, so yep I think he could of, in fact it would have been the CEO not Beattie who restarted it, thats why we pay CEO's! The day your board start running the company operations is a worrying day for the company.
If Beattie was still the CEO you'd be complaining about him instead

Latest posts