What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Roosters @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 18: Roosters v Knights

• Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
Two of the highest scores we've conceded have come within the last 3 weeks. Not a good thing at the pointy end of the season!

Definitely need that rebound again next week.

Alex28

Coach
Hopefully the boys sit down and watch the game and take in the lesson on how the game is played that the Roosters showed us.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Not too upset tonight. Went out for dinner with the wife, got back home for the second half. I was expecting this to happen and well...it happened. At least we didn’t concede 50. Good night all.

Zoidberg

First Grade
We can’t handle being held down in tackles. Every game where the opposition hold us down (far too long sometimes imho) we can’t get a roll on and get into good field position.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The effort was there tonight, no doubting it. Ultimately this shows the difference between a top side and a side making up the numbers. Maybe at full strength I’d expect this to be a pretty competitive game but our team is patched up tonight so wasn’t expecting much anyway.

But I’ve gotta question our tactics, especially given AOB just came from the roosters how is it that our structures look like they’ve come from a completely different playbook from theirs? We just look so un-creative with the ball.

Spot On

Coach
The difference between Pearce and Keary is just astonishing

All this talk about "Pearce just needs a calm 5/8th" is BS....... Keary could play with Jaelan Feeney as a halves partner and still be the one the best halves in the comp

Just turned it off after that pass from Pearce.

Don't want to be too cynical but he needs to be dropped for whoever.

I am constantly amazed at Pearce's lack of basic playmaking skills. You don't see stupid forward passes like that thrown in my C grade mixed touch footy league. I'm embarrassed for him half the time, which is not how you want to feel about your club's halfback and captain.

He needs to retire. I'm being serious.

... the club did go to great lengths to publicise the fact they wanted to extend him.

Reckon they have changed their stance yet?

Spot On

Coach
The effort was there tonight, no doubting it. Ultimately this shows the difference between a top side and a side making up the numbers. Maybe at full strength I’d expect this to be a pretty competitive game but our team is patched up tonight so wasn’t expecting much anyway.

But I’ve gotta question our tactics, especially given AOB just came from the roosters how is it that our structures look like they’ve come from a completely different playbook from theirs? We just look so un-creative with the ball.

The attack coach is???

O'Brien on the press conference focusing on how poor some of our defensive decisions were.
I'd agree but I also think our game plan is too one-dimensional. We rely on one out hit-ups to build a platform but when that doesn't work we have very little else. Some of the winning teams this week were going across and would then straighten up. We need to be able to mix it up and adapt and break them up and hit the edges.

I thought Sione made a good comeback. Solid in defence and good metres in attack.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
O'Brien on the press conference focusing on how poor some of our defensive decisions were.
I'd agree but I also think our game plan is too one-dimensional. We rely on one out hit-ups to build a platform but when that doesn't work we have very little else. Some of the winning teams this week were going across and would then straighten up. We need to be able to mix it up and adapt and break them up and hit the edges.

I thought Sione made a good comeback. Solid in defence and good metres in attack.
Unfortunately it can also be linked to not having a creative leader on the field, hopefully we can bring an attack coach in during the off season, Bulk Tex up just a tad and slot him in to 5/8 and see what happens.

Unfortunately it can also be linked to not having a creative leader on the field, hopefully we can bring an attack coach in during the off season, Bulk Tex up just a tad and slot him in to 5/8 and see what happens.
A 'General' out there might have directed the play otherwise. Pearce won't be one but I don't see anything in Hoy yet to indicate that he can control the game. I reckon we'd need much more experience in the halves than Hoy can bring for quite some time.

newyboy

Juniors
All of our forwards are too bland. No offloads, no footwork, no ability to bust the line or break tackles, no ball playing- just tuck it under the arm and power forward.
No LEG SPEED.

I would ditch Klemmer/Twins and Most of the forward pack.

Yosh

Coach
For me, it was the same old story. Pearce was a dud but Ponga/Hoy waited till the 60th minute and let Pearce our senior playmaker lead the play. Then by the 60th minute, they had enough and finally decided they needed the ball in their hands and finally stamped their mark on the game.

Hoy should have been first option every time tonight. Wasn't sold on Hoy but after tonight, could definitely see why we value the lad so highly. Was much more in the mold of Keary than Pearce and we really need that.

slotmachine

First Grade
All the yokel “locals” fans should be happy that Tex has got a run.

Cannot for the life of me see how anyone thinks he is the 5/8 we need.

jacob starting was a disaster, most of the clown show on our right edge to start the game can be pinned on him and pearce getting exposed.

Spot On

Coach
Cannot for the life of me see how anyone thinks he is the 5/8 we need.

jacob starting was a disaster, most of the clown show on our right edge to start the game can be pinned on him and pearce getting exposed.

This.

Both points

But the Great Andrew Jonhs said Hoy is this and that. He's a couple of seasons in reggies away being ready for firsts in whatever position he is suited.

We do have issues with the roster, namely - and obviously - the halves.

We also have issues on the edges and a total lack of creativity across the board in attack - with the exception of Ponga and a gun centre.

Not sure if the coaching staff can manufacture some attack over the off season. Don't think Frizzel will make much difference either. Strong ball carrier but those outside him will not see any ball. He does not pass and rarely offloads.

We need a genius attacking coach ASAP.