What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Well I'm not advocating waiting 4 years for Drown and Mahoney to become the players we need them to be.

At this stage we will pretty much have the same Top 13 next year with the same coaching staff. If that is the case I don't see that going well for us. We're going to need to change something.
You're correct as as we've seen over the years BA doesn't like change except for the coaching staff apparently. This year we're the fittest we've ever been and the Panthers game highlights that.

If I was the coach I'd be looking for a fullback with elite speed and move Gutho to centre to replace Waqa until he learns how to defend. In attack Gutho can float around becoming another halfback which will enhance our attack imo. A new attacking and defensive coach might help also. That's the only changes I'd make.

Glenneel

Bench
The player doesn't have to be a better player than Moses, they just have to be a better option than Moses on helping develop Drown and Mahoney to be the players they need to be in 4 years time. A better option has to take into account more than individual ability of the players because we don't need most of Moses individual abilities if you're prepared to wait 4 years. We will have to let him go at the end of his contract anyway.
Mahoney is fine, he just needs to run more. Which he did in Warriors game and our attack improved.

Spooner

Juniors
You're correct as as we've seen over the years BA doesn't like change except for the coaching staff apparently. This year we're the fittest we've ever been and the Panthers game highlights that.

If I was the coach I'd be looking for a fullback with elite speed and move Gutho to centre to replace Waqa until he learns how to defend. In attack Gutho can float around becoming another halfback which will enhance our attack imo. A new attacking and defensive coach might help also. That's the only changes I'd make.
It’s not rocket science - Gutherson offers a lot but difficult to win a premiership without a fullback with speed to kill.
Target Charlie Staines - he has won every junior title, players player in the country and city football comps he’s played in.

hindy111

Post Whore
like who? Foran ? Marshall? If it was that simple I am sure we would have done it last year when Moses was off contract.

Anyhow Moses is good enough to get us the finals consistently.

This is what I would do. It will be unpopular.
I would move Moses on and target firstly Burton. This would be tough. If not I would swap Mitch for Milford. I feel him amd Dylan would be a good combo. Dylan runs the team and Milford can just play footy.

hindy111

Post Whore
It’s not rocket science - Gutherson offers a lot but difficult to win a premiership without a fullback with speed to kill.
Target Charlie Staines - he has won every junior title, players player in the country and city football comps he’s played in.

To bad we signed MJ for another 2 seasons.

hindy111

Post Whore
Our hope for next season is Schneider starts to push in NRL. Hughes and Hollis likewise and someone in backs comes out of the clouds. It is all possible along with Kafusi,Rheed and Dylan improving.

Avenger

Immortal
Our hope for next season is Schneider starts to push in NRL. Hughes and Hollis likewise and someone in backs comes out of the clouds. It is all possible along with Kafusi,Rheed and Dylan improving.
Schneider’s development has stalled. He is not really rated and has not kicked on as expected. Hollis has poor leg drive. Not my thoughts either.
:wink:

I’ll give Moses the benefit of the doubt because he is carrying an injury but if he has another season like this I’d be replacing him with Kyle Flanagan in 2022. The Roosters have 3 halfbacks with Lam and the other guy rated over Flanagan.

hindy111

Post Whore
Schneider’s development has stalled. He is not really rated and has not kicked on as expected. Hollis has poor leg drive. Not my thoughts either.
:wink:

I’ll give Moses the benefit of the doubt because he is carrying an injury but if he has another season like this I’d be replacing him with Kyle Flanagan in 2022. The Roosters have 3 halfbacks with Lam and the other guy rated over Flanagan.

Interesting on Kyle and Hollis. I assumed with no other footy everyone development stalled to a degree. But they both may of been overhyped on here also and won't ever see NRL.

TheRam

Coach
If we are listening to Matty John podcasts maybe also listen to the one where he talks about a rookie half in his first 50 games is just trying to “survive” and basically expect not much from them.

Drown has had just over 30 games and recently turned 20 and he is already elite level as a defensive half and already runs the ball, willing to take a hit (biggest issue with most halves). He kicks ok and short passing game is decent (Not great but developing).

Drowns doesn’t get to his current level at 20 by not taking a keen interest in his development.

Then listen to Matty Johns talk about a half taking 100 games to actually to feel comfortable playing NRL.

Then listen to him mention it took Thurston 200 or so games to become a really elite half

anyhow gee some expect Drown to perform f**ken miracles at 20!!!!

It's not that I expect him to be Thurston at 20 or be performing miracles mate. What I am suggesting is that we need to get some real quality tuition into him now while he is young and developing his game. It will benefit and show down the track and sooner rather then later. He will not develop bad habits like Moses and Shaun Johnston have and are taking forever to sort them out properly if ever. Look at Cleary, he has had quality coaching all his life and it shows.

What it also does is make the players around them much better players too by them understanding exactly how to run all sorts of different lines and holes/gaps. At the moment for example both Matterson and Lane are lost out there. They haven't got a clue as to what a good line is and when to run it or go through a hole. It's all hit and miss.

The same can be said about Moses and Brown, they too don't come on Thursday as Beetson would say, but Monday or Saturday. They need to fix all this sh*t up or they we will never, ever be elite or win a Premiership.

Avenger

Immortal
Interesting on Kyle and Hollis. I assumed with no other footy everyone development stalled to a degree. But they both may of been overhyped on here also and won't ever see NRL.
Maybe it’s Hughes that’s the plodder I forget now but it was one of them.

Spooner

Juniors

TheRam

Coach
Bert was a terrible trainer....Drown trains hard and pushes himself to passing out levels (At bloody 18!!!!)......not bad for a kid taking it easy ....

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...season/video/90334c7f1218f7545e5f3605fccec054

Yeah sure some players just know how to do things naturally, but it was also a semi professional game back then and he was playing against other semi professional merkins. So he could get away with a lot more sh*t back then. How many halves are terrible trainers now and are elite level or even playing first regular grade?

yy_cheng

Coach
Do we actually have a specific game plan against each team targeting their weaknesses?

It seems to me, we play the same structure each week and the attack is play what you see in front of you.

That's why the backs are lost.

That's why souths said that they knew what we were going to do and it was like a training drill against us

When mitch was out, gutho chimed into the back line.

What happened to that? Is he too knackered from covering in defense?