What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Host

redVinme

Juniors
Souths get Host and Arrow. They have a try scoring machine taking unders to stay with them.
In comparison we lose Frizell and Host. We re-sign a winger for 3 or 4 years and then drop him from first grade a few weeks later.

Can you guess which team is playing in its 3rd preliminary in a row this weekend?

Management and Recruitment have screwed us up bigger than they'd even care to know about, and yet they cotton on to the fact that we had a dud coach 4 or 5 years too late. We are left to pick up the pieces. They'll sit there making Griffin the scapegoat, you watch.

We also have to compete with the teams below or around us on the table who are getting signings done whether on contract or not.

Titans, warriors and bulldogs all are going to be much stronger next year. You'd think we were under cap pressure. The top 4 will just roll on next year unless Smith retires and storm drop back probably and a heap of sides will be chasing the other four spots. Hook may improve us but this roster needs a lot of work. I really hope we swing for the fences and try to agitate a few releases. It's all well and good to patch holes with players like Joe o but we need some genuine fire power, players the other team doesn't actually want to lose. Tapau, Paulo, lane, pangai, SST etc. Some big mobile forwards that can do more than run to the line and fall over.

Backs I think we need at least one experienced campaigner to help break the rookies in. I'd look at Daniel tupou. I'd imagine he'd be on unders at the roosters. Maybe a trade for Saab and cash their way. It's not like they don't have the depth.

IMO of course

possm

Coach
Souths get Host and Arrow. They have a try scoring machine taking unders to stay with them.
In comparison we lose Frizell and Host. We re-sign a winger for 3 or 4 years and then drop him from first grade a few weeks later.

Can you guess which team is playing in its 3rd preliminary in a row this weekend?

Management and Recruitment have screwed us up bigger than they'd even care to know about, and yet they cotton on to the fact that we had a dud coach 4 or 5 years too late. We are left to pick up the pieces. They'll sit there making Griffin the scapegoat, you watch.
Griffin is not that stupid. You can bet that club politics resulted in Millward being kept on in a significantly lessor role and you can be sure he is being watched very closely. He will have to perform or be on his way.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have a feeling Griffin will stick with most of what he has and give this current squad a good run next season and then decide who is good or not. You cannot base their performance under a poor coach. They will be hungry to impress Hook and if they still perform badly then see ya later. I don't think Hook has time for guys with poor attitudes like he did at Penrith (Moylan and Cartwright).

I have heard Hook and Elliot say that they think the squad is quite good. I am expecting a couple of forwards to come in and that is it to replace Frizell, Sims, Merrin and JDB.

I would take Joe O, Maguire and Asiata if they were available. That would be great business. Asiata has got great ball skills for a forward.

True_Believer

Juniors
I have a feeling Griffin will stick with most of what he has and give this current squad a good run next season and then decide who is good or not. You cannot base their performance under a poor coach. They will be hungry to impress Hook and if they still perform badly then see ya later. I don't think Hook has time for guys with poor attitudes like he did at Penrith (Moylan and Cartwright).

I have heard Hook and Elliot say that they think the squad is quite good. I am expecting a couple of forwards to come in and that is it to replace Frizell, Sims, Merrin and JDB.

I would take Joe O, Maguire and Asiata if they were available. That would be great business. Asiata has got great ball skills for a forward.

I agree - I really don't think you can judge the players based on their performance under an under performing coach. I've also heard both Griffin and Elliot say they believe the squad is good - they just need to get them working together and get the best out of them.

I think there'll be some recruitment, but I don't anticipate wholesale changes.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I agree - I really don't think you can judge the players based on their performance under an under performing coach. I've also heard both Griffin and Elliot say they believe the squad is good - they just need to get them working together and get the best out of them.

I think there'll be some recruitment, but I don't anticipate wholesale changes.
Agree, I think they may get about 2- 3 recruits at most, (excluding JBD) and I feel they’ll back themselves in turning some players around. No evidence for that, just a feeling. Should get interesting post GF, but the traditional ‘off contract’ market indicates that there aren’t that many attractive options that are presenting themselves anyway. This is been compounded further by no reserve grade been played in 2020, resulting in little forces of change or pressure being applied to existing team rosters. Manly, Tigers, Cronulla, Brisbane are all in similar situations.
It’s more about who Griffin and co and player managers know rather than what the fan can usually identify at the end of the season.

Interesting, Penrith led the change this new way a bit when they released Luke Lewis and Jennings (I think mid year) whilst they still appeared to have more football in the tank and still months/years to run off their existing contracts. With Griffin, Elliott and Soward their is a fair bit of Penrith influence in the joint. Could be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree, I think they may get about 2- 3 recruits at most, (excluding JBD) and I feel they’ll back themselves in turning some players around. No evidence for that, just a feeling. Should get interesting post GF, but the traditional ‘off contract’ market indicates that there aren’t that many attractive options that are presenting themselves anyway. This is been compounded further by no reserve grade been played in 2020, resulting in little forces of change or pressure being applied to existing team rosters. Manly, Tigers, Cronulla, Brisbane are all in similar situations.
It’s more about who Griffin and co and player managers know rather than what the fan can usually identify at the end of the season.

Interesting, Penrith led the change this new way a bit when they released Luke Lewis and Jennings (I think mid year) whilst they still appeared to have more football in the tank and still months/years to run off their existing contracts. With Griffin, Elliott and Soward their is a fair bit of Penrith influence in the joint. Could be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I can definitely see some players getting cut. It’s going to be an interesting few months.

denis preston

First Grade
Got the story , was told by Millward at start of season that his contract wouldn't, be renewed. His management followed up mid year ( as his form was good ) and were told nothing has changed so one would assume both mcwrecker & Milward are the instigators of this decision. When Hook took over wanted to talk to him but was told that he had to move on and already had taken the Souths offer.

He certainly didn't want to go and was devistated by the lack of interest and even agreed to the departing interview as he didn't want to burn his bridges with the club so he still will leave it open to return ( both on double the salary !) This has convinced me that Webb has one more act to rid he club of the amateur admins that have plagued us the past decade: get rid of Millward !

Got the story , was told by Millward at start of season that his contract wouldn't, be renewed. His management followed up mid year ( as his form was good ) and were told nothing has changed so one would assume both mcwrecker & Milward are the instigators of this decision. When Hook took over wanted to talk to him but was told that he had to move on and already had taken the Souths offer.

He certainly didn't want to go and was devistated by the lack of interest and even agreed to the departing interview as he didn't want to burn his bridges with the club so he still will leave it open to return ( both on double the salary !) This has convinced me that Webb has one more act to rid he club of the amateur admins that have plagued us the past decade: get rid of Millward !

That's putrid. Hosty was a better than average player who could have developed into something special with the right coaching. Hope to see him back in the Red V one day.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Work in progress for mine. Saw the potential
but not the performance; would have liked to see a bit more. Might be back....

BBTB

Juniors
Obviously JD, Bennett and South’s have a better opinion of Host than some of the keyboard experts in here.
Below average judges of Rugby League players.
Just my opinion.........
They must have spot for him, in reserve grade.

possm

Coach
Obviously JD, Bennett and South’s have a better opinion of Host than some of the keyboard experts in here.
Just my opinion.........
Souths have the luxury of a very good pack and so can fit in Host as a depth player. We have only one decent backrow forward right now (T Sims) and Ford still in development. We also have Merrin and a couple of others that are reserve grade level at best. Host is a player the squad does not need right now.

BLM01

First Grade
Just my opinion.........
Well lets see if Souths when are at full strength and who are not losing any significant players for 2021..find a spot and rate him above average in their current 17 for Hosty over Sironen, Sua, Lowe and Carthwright (who play similar positions). I doubt he would push any of the current crop out.(maybe Lowe who is 4th on that list)..remebering they had a handful of the Top squad injured and did not play last night.
And if you are calling people keyboard experts for rating him below average then what does that make yourself who rate him different?. :p..just saying.
PS Forgot Jai Arrow. Did not include Murray as he plays middle as can Arrow

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
Well lets see if Souths when are at full strength and who are not losing any significant players for 2021..find a spot and rate him above average in their current 17 for Hosty over Sironen, Sua, Lowe and Carthwright (who play similar positions). I doubt he would push any of the current crop out.(maybe Lowe who is 4th on that list)..remebering they had a handful of the Top squad injured and did not play last night.
And if you are calling people keyboard experts for rating him below average then what does that make yourself who rate him different?. :p..just saying.
PS Forgot Jai Arrow. Did not include Murray as he plays middle as can Arrow

Lowe just retired. So I take it that's why they got host

BLM01

First Grade
Lowe just retired. So I take it that's why they got host
That is why I indicated that Lowe was well behind their best starting team, especially next year with Arrow coming. No differnce to position Hosty found himself in at the Dragons. Not one of our best starting back row. No shame in it.

redVinme

Juniors
That is why I indicated that Lowe was well behind their best starting team, especially next year with Arrow coming. No differnce to position Hosty found himself in at the Dragons. Not one of our best starting back row. No shame in it.

Can't argue it really. They also have Keaon k who plays in the middle back is a back rower. He has been massive off the bench so I assume he will see more game time

epDragon62

First Grade
I say Host steps up another notch with Bennett as his mentor and he would have had he stayed under Hook.

Last edited:

Latest posts