What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

The_Frog

First Grade
I never saw that but how could it be judged an epic failure off one all stars game? I understand the die hard no rule changes ever crowd would have laughed it off straight away. But goal kicks/conversions are a stupid tip of the hat to union if you ask me. They are not entertaining hence why people hated the Bennett led take the 2 movement.
Yesterday would have been a 4-all draw then?

Gutherson did similar. I think it was against the WT it was given as no try. Both looked very similar but different person in the box so different decisions. Hence why I see it as a 50/50 one of a few that went against us but the players need to own that poor performance

Yeah, it’s a player thing mainly, as you couldn’t see Ivan sending them out to play like that.

Having said that, is it not his job to ensure they lift?

He might have done the same thing with them as the other wonderful games and didn’t realise they needed a serious intervention for the big dance.

I thought he blew the interchange.

Not much has been made of that gallant last 20 minutes. Late but very courageous. The game was over, someone forgot to tell your blokes!

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
I never saw that but how could it be judged an epic failure off one all stars game? I understand the die hard no rule changes ever crowd would have laughed it off straight away. But goal kicks/conversions are a stupid tip of the hat to union if you ask me. They are not entertaining hence why people hated the Bennett led take the 2 movement.

It was a failure because 95% of tries come from sustained pressure rather than first tackle set plays.

Maybe pitch it as a full set of six rather than a single tackle. Or maybe 7 on 7.

T-Boon

Coach
Maybe pitch it as a full set of six rather than a single tackle. Or maybe 7 on 7.

It would definitely be a 7 on 7 or something similar.
That would seem weird to people but its better than a 1 on 0 which is what the 2 point conversion kick is.

unKwn

Juniors
Oh well. that one hurts but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year... in the past decade we've followed up a good year with a bad/ordinary year. 2014 into 2015 (to be fair we had a horrific injury run), 2016 into 2017 (we just scraped into the finals), 2018 into 2019 (don't even have to talk about that one)...

hopefully the pain of a gf loss and the experience that comes with it makes us go one better next year. Keen for 2021 and HOPEFULLY COVID f**kS OFF so we can have massive crowds at panthers stadium again :p

Go panthers!

GongPanther

Referee
Oh well. that one hurts but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year... in the past decade we've followed up a good year with a bad/ordinary year. 2014 into 2015 (to be fair we had a horrific injury run), 2016 into 2017 (we just scraped into the finals), 2018 into 2019 (don't even have to talk about that one)...

hopefully the pain of a gf loss and the experience that comes with it makes us go one better next year. Keen for 2021 and HOPEFULLY COVID f**kS OFF so we can have massive crowds at panthers stadium again :p

Go panthers!
At least another 18 months before that could be a reality.

BTW. NRL site had Liam Martin in the SOO side. A cruel smart arse trick from the fookwits that run that site.

2020 Origin squads: NSW, Queensland announce several new faces
Chris Kennedy
9-11 minutes
Clive Churchill Medal winner Ryan Papenhuyzen is one of several new faces in line to make their State of Origin debut after NSW and Queensland announced the final additions to their squads following the NRL grand final.

Melbourne have been rewarded for their premiership win with seven players called into the squads while six Panthers received some consolation after their grand final loss by being told they would be required for state duty.

As expected, Josh Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen will head to the NSW camp during the week while Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Brenko Lee, Christian Welch, Felise Kaufusi and Cameron Munster will be joining Queensland's squad.

For Penrith, Kurt Capewell was added to the Maroons squad while grand final teammates Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo have been named by the Blues.

While it will be hard to displace James Tedesco from the NSW fullback role, Papenhuyzen could do a job elsewhere in the 17, according to his coach, Craig Bellamy.

"[Papenhuyzen] has really matured this year, I'm sure he'd be the first one to say he's had a lot of help off Billy [Slater] and he's been very grateful for that," Bellamy said.

"He can play a few other places and he's tough as nails and he'll give you some X-factor for a couple of other positions as well so I'm sure Freddie will be looking at him pretty hard to play on the bench.

"Tino went in leaps and bounds this year. Unfortunately he won't be with us, he's played his last game for the club tonight but he's been outstanding all year for a guy his age.

Cameron Smith pays tribute to Victoria then raises Provan-Summons trophy

"He was our only player coming to round 20 who played every game, he's done a tremendous job for us this year.

"Brenko only came to us this year. It's a great credit to him he'd be considered for Queensland selection this year. I'm really happy for them."

An emotional Brenko Lee told NRL.com he was speechless at the news.

"I'm lost for words; I can't believe it," Lee said.

"I was at a crossroads, now I have a ring and I'm about to roll into Origin camp. I'm grateful to be called into Origin camp because Queensland means the world to me."

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary, while despondent at the grand final result, praised the efforts of his Origin debutants and the benefit their experience could add to Penrith next year.

"I'm really happy for them, all of them thoroughly deserve it," he said.

"It is a bit of cold comfort but all those individuals can sit back and say 'I've earned my spot in the biggest game around'.

"It's only going to help our team as well, it shows all those young boys have made some incredible strides this year as a team.

"We'll have to wait for the pre-season [to reap the benefits as a club] but I'm looking forward to it as well."

NSW coach Brad Fittler said in the Channel 9 post-match coverage that no players suffered injuries in Sunday's grand final win.

Fittler said he was close to knowing what he wanted his 17-man line-up for Origin I to be and would give Tedesco as much time as he needed to get over his knee injury.

Luai was a surprising selection but Fittler said he was "a player of the future for NSW" and "one of the most energetic players" in the NRL finals.

His inclusion was welcomed by his club halves partner, Nathan Cleary.

"It's definite a silver lining, all the boys found out after the game, especially someone like Romey, it's his first year in first grade so to be picked in the Blues squad he's super pumped," Cleary said.

Lee, Fa’asuamaleaui and Capewell are yet to play Origin football, taking the tally of uncapped Maroons in this year’s squad to 17, which means their team for Origin I will have at least seven debutants.

The Origin series kicks off at the Adelaide Oval on November 4, followed by game two in Sydney on November 11 and the series finale at Suncorp Stadium on November 18.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/25/2020-origin-squads-nsw-queensland-announce-several-new-faces/

Dodgy

Juniors
A bit of an empty feeling being a lone Panthers fan down here in Melbourne. Not even 24 hours on and it feels like history to me.

Obviously it's crap to lose a GF and to Melbourne of all teams. But it's not as bad down here as you'd imagine. All the talk on radio was about the AFL GF, their pre game and half time entertainment, a night GF, Richmond and Dusty Martin's legacy and so forth.

When it came to league there hasn't been as much talk of the game or even that much praise for Storm that otherwise wasn't already there. Banging on about tv ratings, and everyone's getting their panties in a knot over Gould and V'landys.

Dodgy

Juniors
Also, while they mightn't have played as well throughout the season. Last night was a graphic example why you pay James Maloney the big bucks.

Port Panther

Juniors
Got home this afternoon from going down for the game .
Sutton did a job on us exactly how i expected and the players seemed to be dare i say it ....were too full of adrenaline. Timing was off as in playing frantic
And as everything is turning into your worst nightmare you still cant believe its happening .
Sutton is a foul creature and had me bleeding from every orifice........mind blown.

Kilkenny

Coach
We can’t have any complaints about Sutton or Video Ref we just didn’t quite play anywhere near our best.

Disappointing definitely but that’s the way it goes.

Everything that could have gone wrong went against us, penalty try, intercept and try on last play of the half.

Great season despite the heartbreak of Sunday night.

Hopefully we can re-sign most if not all those we want and need to keep for next season and beyond.

Frankus

Juniors
In 2021 we need to revert to what was working for us in the midst of our streak. Tough defence, grinding through the middle and playing off the back of the space and time created by our forwards and playing off the back of Api's smarts out of dummy half. In all of our finals for the majority, our ball players didn't have the time they were used to. This comes back to two reasons:
1. Finals games are more intense
2. We weren't being patient enough and grinding out dominance in the middle of the park before trying to put on points. We did it in patches, not consistently.

The points will come, the team just needs to go back to playing patient, grinding footy.

Next year, I'd like to see some player changes and some of the younger guys given a genuine chance to cement their first grade spots - namely Charlie Staines and Brent Naden. I'd love to see Staines come in to replace Mansour initially and if he fires there, give him an honest go at fullback.

Mansour for mine doesn't have what we need right now, which is speed. He's not an aerial target and he has major vulnerabilities under a high ball. He just bashes up and works hard from deep in our half. He's been a terrific servant and player for us but its time to move on.

Naden is a gun. With clean ball, he is a handful. Let him play. Baffles me why we started Tyrone May ahead of him.

Capewell, Lenui and Leota definites on the bench. I'm not sold on Tyrone May just yet. Decent utility, but I'd prefer someone like Burton coming off the bench. Call me crazy but that kid will become a genuine, long term first grader whether it is here or elsewhere.

Kilkenny

Coach
In 2021 we need to revert to what was working for us in the midst of our streak. Tough defence, grinding through the middle and playing off the back of the space and time created by our forwards and playing off the back of Api's smarts out of dummy half. In all of our finals for the majority, our ball players didn't have the time they were used to. This comes back to two reasons:
1. Finals games are more intense
2. We weren't being patient enough and grinding out dominance in the middle of the park before trying to put on points. We did it in patches, not consistently.

The points will come, the team just needs to go back to playing patient, grinding footy.

Next year, I'd like to see some player changes and some of the younger guys given a genuine chance to cement their first grade spots - namely Charlie Staines and Brent Naden. I'd love to see Staines come in to replace Mansour initially and if he fires there, give him an honest go at fullback.

Mansour for mine doesn't have what we need right now, which is speed. He's not an aerial target and he has major vulnerabilities under a high ball. He just bashes up and works hard from deep in our half. He's been a terrific servant and player for us but its time to move on.

Naden is a gun. With clean ball, he is a handful. Let him play. Baffles me why we started Tyrone May ahead of him.

Capewell, Lenui and Leota definites on the bench. I'm not sold on Tyrone May just yet. Decent utility, but I'd prefer someone like Burton coming off the bench. Call me crazy but that kid will become a genuine, long term first grader whether it is here or elsewhere.

You make some good points in a very good post.

The only thing I will say on Josh Mansour is he was close to our best on Sunday night. I understand the whole need for speed debate which is a legitimate issue for us going forward but I think he deserves a lot of respect for what he had brought to this club. If Father Time has caught up with him so be it, but he still has something to offer and hopefully he will have a great last season with us in 2021.

Abacus

Juniors
Well, I just re-watched the 1st half. I forgot how dominant our forwards were in general play. We repeatedly received their clearing kick around our 30 - except where made errors or gave penalties.

Otherwise it appeared our timing was just off & each time we made a mistake the Storm turned it into points. A step off the left by Crichton & Mansour gets a try, Api hitting the ball instead of Smith's arms, the offside penalty to Kikau following a poor offload from the Storm, even the late hit from Fish for a penalty goal.

The obvious game-changer was the intercept which, ironically, if Cleary had thrown the short ball to Kikau he goes over easily. 10-6 and the way we were playing would have made things very interesting - probably ending with a different result. The scary part is that Nathan said he'd still throw the long ball - hopefully someone shows him the tape and where he should have passed the ball.

soc123_au

Staff member
Well, I just re-watched the 1st half. I forgot how dominant our forwards were in general play. We repeatedly received their clearing kick around our 30 - except where made errors or gave penalties.

Otherwise it appeared our timing was just off & each time we made a mistake the Storm turned it into points. A step off the left by Crichton & Mansour gets a try, Api hitting the ball instead of Smith's arms, the offside penalty to Kikau following a poor offload from the Storm, even the late hit from Fish for a penalty goal.

The obvious game-changer was the intercept which, ironically, if Cleary had thrown the short ball to Kikau he goes over easily. 10-6 and the way we were playing would have made things very interesting - probably ending with a different result. The scary part is that Nathan said he'd still throw the long ball - hopefully someone shows him the tape and where he should have passed the ball.
You are a better man than me giving it another watch. It will be a long time if ever that I can manage that. It was over 25 years before I watched the 1990 GF again.
You are right though, we were dominating field position for a lot of that 1st half. Gus wasn't that far off the mark with his commentary. Even with all the errors etc a few plays go the other way & the result could have been much different. It's crazy really, even playing like headless chooks, the game was there for the taking.

Kilkenny

Coach

100%.

Penalty try, intercept and try to Smith on the stroke of half time not to mention the two penalties right in front which gifted them four points.

Other than these game defining moments we were competing very well overall even if we weren’t able to convert our opportunities into points.

Abacus

Juniors
You are a better man than me giving it another watch. It will be a long time if ever that I can manage that. It was over 25 years before I watched the 1990 GF again.
You are right though, we were dominating field position for a lot of that 1st half. Gus wasn't that far off the mark with his commentary. Even with all the errors etc a few plays go the other way & the result could have been much different. It's crazy really, even playing like headless chooks, the game was there for the taking.
Yep, can't say it was any better the 2nd time around. But if just 1 or 2 things went our way in the 1st half...who knows.

unKwn

Juniors
If you're into superstitions, hear this:

I've heard its bad luck for a player to see the grand final ring before the game. Well, a couple days before the GF I go on instagram and see that Tyrone may had seen and liked a picture of the 2020 ring...

Latest posts