What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News 2021 NRL rule changes

Chimp

Bench
Bunker reviews for every try is going to slow it down. So a try that's an overlap where the winger scores easily is going to have to be reviewed.

The 2 point field goals is going to make coaches try and poach union kickers now. They slot them from 50. The english/south Africans will be raided it's how half of their points are scored in Union. Next will be 3 point penalty kicks from outside the 40.
My big take on the bunker reviewing every try is that they should only get 2 looks at it, and those should be at full speed with no super zoom..... they can only overrule if there is an absolute clanger that is obvious at full speed.

AJB1102

First Grade
My big take on the bunker reviewing every try is that they should only get 2 looks at it, and those should be at full speed with no super zoom..... they can only overrule if there is an absolute clanger that is obvious at full speed.

But we'll all see it at half speed with zoom and unless you know (and accept) that the video ref doesn't get that opportunity a lot will be wondering how the f**k he missed an obvious one.

We have multiple angles. We have slow-mo. We have zoom. I don't think restricting the use of available tech is beneficial. The punter on the couch would have better ability to review a try than the officials. Feels like "make em watch in SD just cause".

A cap on how many looks they get I can get behind. 2 feels not enough but there is a point where there's obviously insufficient evidence and the on-field call should be supported.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking forward to more field goal attempts and more video reviews, said no RL fan ever!

only change I like is getting rid of scrums, getting rid altogether to move us away from union can only be a good thing.
Biggest issue I have is significantly changing rules of a game that’s supposed to be an international sport. Any major change be should have to be ratified internationally and adopted at all levels everywhere. We are on the path of nrl ending up a different game to rugby league.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Look forward to it

22 November 2003
20:00 AEDT (UTC+11)
Australia
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
17–20 (a.e.t.)
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
England
Try:
Tuqiri 6' m
Pen: Flatley 47', 61', 80', 97' Report Try: Robinson 38' m
Pen: Wilkinson 11', 20', 28', 82'
Drop: Wilkinson 100'

Why bother picking up the ball, just kick it.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I thought this was a joke when I first saw it.

Talk about overcomplicating the game.

Ooh which side of the 40m line was his foot on.

What does the 2 point field goal bring to the game?

Mr Spock!

Referee
Looking forward to more field goal attempts and more video reviews, said no RL fan ever!

only change I like is getting rid of scrums, getting rid altogether to move us away from union can only be a good thing.
Biggest issue I have is significantly changing rules of a game that’s supposed to be an international sport. Any major change be should have to be ratified internationally and adopted at all levels everywhere. We are on the path of nrl ending up a different game to rugby league.
This...

The NRL as usual came up with nothing rule changes - f2 point field goals!!!! - clueless

What needed to be fixed is

7 tackle rule

An attacking team knocking the ball on in the in goal - should be 20 metre restart and 6 tackles
Kicks inside the 20 that go dead - should be 20 metre restart and 6 tackles
Field goal attempts inside the 30 (40 perhaps) - should be 20 metre restart and 6 tackles - outside 40- 7 tackles

Get rid of golden point - the above would fix this - should be only used in finals after extra time

Reserves

Should be 2 reserves for when players are ruled out of the game through injury or failing the HIA

Sin Bin

5 minutes for repeated infringements/professional foul
10 minutes for foul play

3 Tacklers

Ban the tactic of 2 defenders holding a player up so a third defender can come in an target the knees/legs/ribs etc of the attacking player(prowler i think they call it) -

Other Tackles

Ban the arm around the neck hold by defenders - any tackle around the neck and head should be penalised and offender sin binned for 10 minutes and on report. Attacking team receives an additional 6 tackles

Ban the one were a defender is tackling the attacking player around the ankles and other defenders then pull the attacking player the other way ( not sure what is it called) matter of time before players suffer serious injuries from this - ankle/leg/knee/back- offenders sin binned for 10 minutes and on report.- Attacking team receives an additional 6 tackles.

Ban Head and back slam tackles too- offenders sin binned for 10 minutes and on report- Attacking teams receives an additional 6 tackles.

Repeated or serious foul play for above offender sent off.

With 10 in the sin bin /additional 6 tackles/possible sending off this will get rid of all this wrestling/judo/jujutsu etc holds which is a real blight on the game. Players will have to learn how to tackle properly and by the rules.

Play the ball

Should be able to play the ball anyway you like - forward or backwards

I remember Fittler's Try against Manly in 1996 - 1/4 final - he made a long break and was tackled near the line - played the ball forward and scored

Not sure about raking for the ball in the play the balll in bringing that back - but i used to like seeing it done. - Would this be any different to a one on one strip as after all its about a contest for the ball and dominating possession.

Captains Challenge - 2

Add more things to be challenged i.e try and no try rulings - have a monitor sideline where the captain challenging can point out to the ref why they think video ref got it wrong.

i know NFL although Video refs don't always get try or no try rulings correct - show this on the big screen at the ground and on TV

Challenges should be straight away not after looking at the replay - cant do this in Cricket - watch it on replay and or seek advice from the dressing room before challenging the umps decision.

Kick-Off after Tries

Teams can elect to receive the kick off or kick off after scoring a try

Can happen at any time during the game - After scoring Teams down say by 6 or less points with time running out can elect to kick off - either long to try to force an error or short kick off to regain possession

6 Again Change- 6 additional tackles

The Six again should be an additional six tackles added to the current set - currently a team gives away a 6 again on tackle 1 its 7 tackles - Under this one the team in possession finishes the first set of six then gets a second set of six as a result of the infringement (12 tackles) - if teams keep on infringing them more additional 6 tackles are awarded.

This would really clean up the ruck and reduce infringements as what team will be wanting to have to make 12/18/24 etc tackles in succession.

Competition points change

1 point for scoring the most points in each half- if same points in either half each team get 1/2 a point
2 Points for winning the game ( if no golden point and a draw each team receives 1 point each)
4 points up for grabs each game.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Fmd if they want to see more attacking footy how about making a try from your side of half way being 6 points with an additional point dependant on the try celebration at the end to be judged by an online poll before the kickoff.

Also tries which pass through 7 or more sets of hands to be worth 7 points.

Tries scored from kicks and second man plays worth 3 points.

Fmd if they want to see more attacking footy how about making a try from your side of half way being 6 points with an additional point dependant on the try celebration at the end to be judged by an online poll before the kickoff.

Also tries which pass through 7 or more sets of hands to be worth 7 points.

Tries scored from kicks and second man plays worth 3 points.

kick a field goal from 40m out and stand on one foot until the ball goes over, 3 points

AJB1102

First Grade
Anyone know how many successful 40m field goal attempts we've had in any period of last 20 years?

I feel its just a publicity stunt almost. Gets everyone riled up and talking in the off season, gearing up and tuning in next year to shit can it and it won't even happen just like 20/40.

I bet every coach they asked said "no one will ever use that" and they went "perfect, its in."

Vee

First Grade
Look forward to it

22 November 2003
20:00 AEDT (UTC+11)
Australia
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
17–20 (a.e.t.)
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
England
Try:
Tuqiri 6' m
Pen: Flatley 47', 61', 80', 97' Report Try: Robinson 38' m
Pen: Wilkinson 11', 20', 28', 82'
Drop: Wilkinson 100'

Why bother picking up the ball, just kick it.
Argentina once beat France 21-20. France scored 5 tries to nil but couldn't kick a goal while Hugo Porta kicked 4 penalties and 3 field goals.

Memory's a funny thing. I would've sworn on the bible i remember reading that. Closest I could find was a 21-21 draw with the ABs in 1985 when they scored 4 tries to nil and porta kicked 21 points.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Fmd if they want to see more attacking footy how about making a try from your side of half way being 6 points

They really should think about this as a rule. It has never been more warranted with the way the game has become. If you score a try from within your own half these days it is deserved of extra points.

no name

Coach

The NRL has been a completely different game to rugby league for at least 10 years.

Latest posts