What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast

Jamberoo

Juniors
I've already explained some of the consequences to you;

• You make your city an exploitable resource to the league and the clubs, which makes them less inclined to support you getting your own team as they'd prefer keep the resource around to exploit when needed.
  • There're no long term benefits for the sport locally, and it puts the sport locally into a boom bust cycle which is damaging and makes it reliant on NRL/AFL clubs being in town for it to be successful on a local level, which is also damaging.
  • Teams coming and going creates a sense of abandonment that leads to the clubs and the league being resented by locals overtime, and once that resentment becomes widespread it has serious knock on effects for the sport locally. BTW I don't know how you can deny that this happens when this thread was literally created by somebody that was resentful of the Storm's abandonment of the SSC.
I also don't know how you could possibly suggest that it was the Rabbitohs and other NRL clubs playing games in Perth that was instrumental in the sports regrowth in Perth/WA and not the work of the WARL and help and investment from guys like John Sackson and Peter Cumins. They did all the work, they invested all the time and money, they made the growth possible, the Rabbitohs et al. just blew in, collected a paycheck, soaked up all the glory, and then pissed off back home.

Look, it's obvious that you think you know better despite having next to no experience with this stuff compared to what Canberra (or Tasmania) has, and that I'm never going to be able to convince you. So you are just going to have to experience it for yourself, and in 10,15,20, years time when Perth is starting to really feel the negative effects just remember that you were warned.
With Redcliffe likely to come in soon, any gains from Storm by playing in Sunshine Coast would soon be lost anyway. As a Melbournian, I am not a fan of losing a home game for Magic Round each year, so am glad we are not playing at SC.

So with COVID wreacking havoc on all clubs finances in 2020, people think that the financial situation is automatically back to pre-COVD conditions and all its rosy.

Seriously?! If you think that, let me sell you a nice House down on Sydney Harbour, has great views, and a nice big white tiled roof...... :rolleyes:

What’s the Sunshine Coast like as a town/city. Does it have a large retirement population? Is it’s population a permanent one or is it swelled by people who maybe own a 2nd home staying there during the holidays?
It used to be called gods waiting room but that has changed massively over the last decade, there has been a huge amount of new younger residents with families.

The council understands it can’t just rely on tourism and a new city cbd is well underway at Maroochydore on an old golf course that provides super fast broadband via a submarine cable now that the network is operational, the Sunshine Coast provides the fastest international connection point from Queensland and east Australia to Asia, a significant step-change in the Sunshine Coast's attractiveness as an investment location.

A new international runway has also been built and Its is anticipated the population will increase to 436,785 by 2031

This is certainly an area on the rise with a council very supportive of professional sport and our first professional team the Sunshine Coast lighting have been exceptionally successful.

I don’t think a NRL team is likely just yet but with an upgraded stadium imminent and a population that loves rugby league and in my opinion more likely than Gold Coast residents to actually support a local team even if they already have another team prior to moving here.

I was starved of sport seven years ago when I moved from Cronulla thankfully that is changing.

Attachments

• ACEFE985-8C53-4B61-BC07-87A669E83756.jpeg
    ACEFE985-8C53-4B61-BC07-87A669E83756.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1
So with COVID wreacking havoc on all clubs finances in 2020, people think that the financial situation is automatically back to pre-COVD conditions and all its rosy.

Seriously?! If you think that, let me sell you a nice House down on Sydney Harbour, has great views, and a nice big white tiled roof...... :rolleyes:
I actually thought financially it might make sense for Melbourne to play one game up here even a trial considering their links with the area.

I actually thought financially it might make sense for Melbourne to play one game up here even a trial considering their links with the area.

Trials rarely make money unless someone is paying the club a fee to take the game there. Additionally not playing at home you are forgoing the match day revenue you generate which is often substantially more at your regular home ground than away. Further you have additional travel and accommodation costs, and things like additional insurance costs to consider as well. It is why clubs often only take games away from their home ground if they are getting a nice bug up front payment from someone which will allay those financial issues.

Trials rarely make money unless someone is paying the club a fee to take the game there. Additionally not playing at home you are forgoing the match day revenue you generate which is often substantially more at your regular home ground than away. Further you have additional travel and accommodation costs, and things like additional insurance costs to consider as well. It is why clubs often only take games away from their home ground if they are getting a nice bug up front payment from someone which will allay those financial issues.
Have you seen the crowds for trials on the sunny coast ? They have been more than enough to make a dollar plus the council do offer incentives to play up here.

When you add in the possibility of gaining qld members for the storm i though that would make a compelling argument to play a game up here, I guess not so as I say I can go back hating them full time.

We will welcome the Bunnies, Sharks, warriors and Cowboys plus hopefully women’s SOO again next year.

I will continue to advocate for footy on the sunny coast wherever possible.

Have you seen the crowds for trials on the sunny coast ? They have been more than enough to make a dollar plus the council do offer incentives to play up here.

When you add in the possibility of gaining qld members for the storm i though that would make a compelling argument to play a game up here, I guess not so as I say I can go back hating them full time.

We will welcome the Bunnies, Sharks, warriors and Cowboys plus hopefully women’s SOO again next year.

If it were so much more economically profitable, more clubs would do it, but they don't. Further game day revenue is also generated from sponsorships. Not all sponsors have a multi-state let alone a multi-city presence, hence you take away a home game to another venue, and those sponsors will want a reimbursement of a portion of its sponsorship for the moved game in many instances.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
It used to be called gods waiting room but that has changed massively over the last decade, there has been a huge amount of new younger residents with families.

The council understands it can’t just rely on tourism and a new city cbd is well underway at Maroochydore on an old golf course that provides super fast broadband via a submarine cable now that the network is operational, the Sunshine Coast provides the fastest international connection point from Queensland and east Australia to Asia, a significant step-change in the Sunshine Coast's attractiveness as an investment location.

A new international runway has also been built and Its is anticipated the population will increase to 436,785 by 2031

This is certainly an area on the rise with a council very supportive of professional sport and our first professional team the Sunshine Coast lighting have been exceptionally successful.

I don’t think a NRL team is likely just yet but with an upgraded stadium imminent and a population that loves rugby league and in my opinion more likely than Gold Coast residents to actually support a local team even if they already have another team prior to moving here.

I was starved of sport seven years ago when I moved from Cronulla thankfully that is changing.
Thanks for the very detailed reply mate. Sounds like the Sunshine Coast need a NRL franchise ASAP.

Generalzod

Immortal
Yet I directly answered your queries about crowd averages and financial troubles and you point blank ignored me. Presumably because I was right...
No I didn’t we have a great support the Grand final a few years back proved it the place was full of Sharks supporters, but saying that not everyone can come to the football every week and we know how memberships can be totally inflated..

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

If you were hammering on about a Sydney club I might understand this. Melbourne only gets 11 games of rugby league a year (likely 12 this year including Origin). Last year it got zero.

If you hate the Storm that's all well and good but trying to paint them as bad guys because they're not returning to your precious region is a bit harsh.

Thanks for the very detailed reply mate. Sounds like the Sunshine Coast need a NRL franchise ASAP.
No worries, the big thing the coast needs is a big financial backer, unfortunately the local QRL team runs on fumes and doesn’t even have a leagues club.

I actually think the Sunshine Coast makes better sense geographically and supporter wise than the peninsula of Redcliffe but they have the cash and money talks.

If you were hammering on about a Sydney club I might understand this. Melbourne only gets 11 games of rugby league a year (likely 12 this year including Origin). Last year it got zero.

If you hate the Storm that's all well and good but trying to paint them as bad guys because they're not returning to your precious region is a bit harsh.
I actually I think it’s them that’s missing an opportunity not us obviously they disagree, that’s okay we will get plenty of footy in the years to come.

Maybe Melbourne could have been a little like Hawthorn in Tasmania but I suspect someone else will see the value in embracing the Sunshine Coast in the years to come.

Yup.

It’s far, far from sunshine and lollipops.

Maybe, just maybe if there’s an unimpeded 2021... the NRL may recover over half of the huge losses its been smashed with in 2020.

And so unless costs are absolutely essential.. they should be off the table. For a long time.

Timmah

Staff member
No I didn’t we have a great support the Grand final a few years back proved it the place was full of Sharks supporters, but saying that not everyone can come to the football every week and we know how memberships can be totally inflated..
Not sure a single crowd in a major event is something to hang your hat on. If anything it shows the club has not done a good enough job converting casual fans to more permanent ones.

As for memberships being inflated - are you suggesting all the other clubs do it and Cronulla don't?

This is very Trumpy areas

Timmah

Staff member
I actually I think it’s them that’s missing an opportunity not us obviously they disagree, that’s okay we will get plenty of footy in the years to come.

Maybe Melbourne could have been a little like Hawthorn in Tasmania but I suspect someone else will see the value in embracing the Sunshine Coast in the years to come.
I still don't think you quite get it.

Melbourne itself is an RL outpost and needs all the footy it can get (given a population base of 5M+).

Hawthorn going to Tasmania is borne from the fact that Hawthorn are a Melbourne team in the AFL among 8 others inside a 50km radius. Your argument would hold water if the Storm were a Sydney based club, but they aren't.

It really just sounds like you resent the Storm (which is fine) and want an excuse to bash up on them.

I still don't think you quite get it.

Melbourne itself is an RL outpost and needs all the footy it can get (given a population base of 5M+).

Hawthorn going to Tasmania is borne from the fact that Hawthorn are a Melbourne team in the AFL among 8 others inside a 50km radius. Your argument would hold water if the Storm were a Sydney based club, but they aren't.

It really just sounds like you resent the Storm (which is fine) and want an excuse to bash up on them.
I do hate them indeed you are correct but that doesn’t change the fact they are the ones that have created a link to to the area and own the netball team and are strongly linked to the QRL team.

As they have invested in the area and Melbourne already have strong support up here I do not understand why Melbourne don’t build on that support with a game that the council would pay for, as you say I hate them but I went to all six games on the Sunshine Coast.

It makes much more sense for Melbourne to play here than Souths or Cronulla, the good news is I’m annoyed I don’t get more NRL up here and there are plenty of us that want more footy so that’s a good thing for the sport.

Generalzod

Immortal
Not sure a single crowd in a major event is something to hang your hat on. If anything it shows the club has not done a good enough job converting casual fans to more permanent ones.

As for memberships being inflated - are you suggesting all the other clubs do it and Cronulla don't?

This is very Trumpy areas
Don’t people buy memberships for the pets ?