What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaeman Salmon

strider

Post Whore
But seriously, why outrage at opacic vs salmon .... I'd probably consider them similar risk/benefit .... and I'd assume probably similar salary .... and playing games has never necessarily been the be all and end all of deciding who to retain

Gazzamatta

Coach
I kinda agree but to be fair I cant recall watching the new guy play. We will probably only get to compare by the way they sit on a bench.

84 Baby

Referee
But seriously, why outrage at opacic vs salmon .... I'd probably consider them similar risk/benefit .... and I'd assume probably similar salary .... and playing games has never necessarily been the be all and end all of deciding who to retain
I’ve never got the outrage over Salmon. Not just cause I don’t eat seafood, but in the games he played was mostly unremarkable. No noticeable passing game, kicking game on par with Drown at best and even though he came with a highly touted running game it was never on display. Perhaps he could make it as a centre/backrower but he’s not better than Matto/Lano nor Blake/Jenko and given we signed (assumedly) Opacic before learning of Jenko’s suspension, I’m inclined to believe we didn’t see any future for him at centre. How long do we give players to prove their spot? Reckon he goes down as one of those players not skilful enough for backs, not big enough for forwards

hindy111

Post Whore
I kinda agree but to be fair I cant recall watching the new guy play. We will probably only get to compare by the way they sit on a bench.

Opacic runs hard and straight. Very strong runner of ball. Provlem is injuries. If he stayed fit he would be fine.
I reckon we will get another replacement if we have MJ off books. Id say Opacic was signed as a just incase.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’ve never got the outrage over Salmon. Not just cause I don’t eat seafood, but in the games he played was mostly unremarkable. No noticeable passing game, kicking game on par with Drown at best and even though he came with a highly touted running game it was never on display. Perhaps he could make it as a centre/backrower but he’s not better than Matto/Lano nor Blake/Jenko and given we signed (assumedly) Opacic before learning of Jenko’s suspension, I’m inclined to believe we didn’t see any future for him at centre. How long do we give players to prove their spot? Reckon he goes down as one of those players not skilful enough for backs, not big enough for forwards

I kind of agree. But some guys just develop a little later. BA didn't rate and I wouldn't be supposed if it was an attitude thing this season.

84 Baby

Referee
Opacic runs hard and straight. Very strong runner of ball. Provlem is injuries. If he stayed fit he would be fine.
I reckon we will get another replacement if we have MJ off books. Id say Opacic was signed as a just incase.
Opacic signed before Jenko was suspended, yeah? I don’t think he was seen as genuine starting 13.
If/when Jenko is cut we’ll 100% get a starting centre (unless Opacic proves himself).

strider

Post Whore
re: salmon .... he was ok - but agree with everyone above saying not remarkable .... and I still recall him being absolutely murdered defensively in that magic game vs the scum

84 Baby

Referee
I kind of agree. But some guys just develop a little later
But how long do we wait? We’re not at the level where a couple of players can carry us to contention, nor are we at the level where we need to absolutely build a roster, so guys need to fill a role and if we want to be in contention, positionally undecided, 3 year rookies really have no place in squad

Gazzamatta

Coach
Who do you think will play centre in place of Jennings?
Probably the guy yet to be signed.
I thought Salmon was excellent filling in for Drown in 2019. I hope he does well at The Pennys. Im also hopeful Opacic and Oldfield do well if given the chance.