What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
The powers that be at the Panthers apparently believe Staines is the way forward.

They know better than me, I just thought out of the two in the juniors I personally thought Laurie was the more talented overall, can play 5/8 is need be and I got the impression was better in defence even if both are small by modern day standards.

Kilkenny

Coach
I saw Laurie beat Staines over 100m. It was very close though, the boys were mucking around at an Oztag tournament I was at.

I’d say Staines would have him over 40m.

Mute point now but there were silly rumours, well maybe not silly, just sounds dumb, but Jed Cartwright was reputedly as quick as anyone over 40 metres at the club. You wouldn’t think so but I’m sure it was from an official source at the time.

The two quickest players I have ever seen over the first 40 were Rhys in his heyday and Amos Roberts. They were both lightening quick. Special to watch.

I remember making a similar post many years ago and someone pointed out the quickest player ever at our club whilst records were recorded was Alan McIndoe.

Whoever it was suggested he was quick enough in his hey day to win the professional stallwell gift. He only played for us for a season or two and if I recall his best days were with Illawarra Steelers before they merged with the Dragons.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
I should have googled before I posted about Alan McIndoe.

Just did he only played two seasons for us 1989-1990 so played in our GF loss to the Raiders.

According to his Wikipedia he was named in our top 40 Panthers of all time in 2006 which is surprising given he only played with us for two seasons although he did score 26 tries in his 30 odd appearances.

Original Name

Juniors
I’ve seen him play plenty of Super League, admittedly it’s a weaker comp, but I’d put him on the same level as Zane.
Everyone who comes over there or vise versa will tell you the difference is in the Super League if you're a top team you can play certain teams not show up and get away with a win anyway. You're coming first and you do that against a team coming last in the NRL and you can all but guarantee an upset. You don't play with energy and leave the door open for cellar dwellers and they'll eventually gain momentum and make you pay regardless of how shit they are by NRL standards.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Zane provided very little impact. He was our solid type player off the bench.

Tetevano is a bench prop. That is it. But he did provide good impact off the bench.
Watch the game against Brisbane last year. Our opening 20 minutes was horrendous. Brisbane scored early and our forwards were going sideways. Tetevano came on and immediately straightened our attack and ran with vigor. Brisbane didn't have a hope after we got our momentum going. Set by him and Leniu. He did that plenty of times throughout last year. Always made an impact when he came on.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The powers that be at the Panthers apparently believe Staines is the way forward.

They know better than me, I just thought out of the two in the juniors I personally thought Laurie was the more talented overall, can play 5/8 is need be and I got the impression was better in defence even if both are small by modern day standards.
Raw speed isn't common and something we haven't had since early Jenko

Smug Panther

First Grade
Definitely. 100% with you there. It is such a valuable commodity.
I feel Staines changes our side in a good way. If we went into 2021 just doing what worked last year I feel we'd come up short. We are going to be targeted and have so much video done on us

Kilkenny

Coach
I feel Staines changes our side in a good way. If we went into 2021 just doing what worked last year I feel we'd come up short. We are going to be targeted and have so much video done on us

I just hope the work of Josh Mansour coming out of our own end doesn’t come back to bite us.

Staines can’t deliver the same go forward or metres from the wing. If Edwards is injured at any stage and Staines is playing fullback then different story I guess.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I just hope the work of Josh Mansour coming out of our own end doesn’t come back to bite us.

Staines can’t deliver the same go forward or metres from the wing. If Edwards is injured at any stage and Staines is playing fullback then different story I guess.
Yeah that will be missed but we aren't carrying some of plods that Sauce did the work for. Our pack is pretty sacked now and both Edwards and To'o like the hard stuff

WestyLife

First Grade
Edwards was top 5 for average run metres, tackle breaks and kick return metres in 2020. no one else in the top 5 played as few games as him either.

2021.01.16-19.08_01.png 2021.01.16-19.08_02.png 2021.01.16-19.10.png

betcats

Referee
Edwards was top 5 for average run metres, tackle breaks and kick return metres in 2020. no one else in the top 5 played as few games as him either.

View attachment 45243 View attachment 45244 View attachment 45245

For averages playing less games is probably not a disadvantage. He had awesome season no doubt, the only issue with him is ball playing. He is great at everything else and just average at ball playing but unfortunately fullbacks need a passing game the way they play now.

For me Staines is the long term option if he can handle the rigours of first grade which he will have to prove on the wing, but if he can he is such a classy player. Obviously his speed is his biggest weapon but he is the total package besides lacking some size. Whenever I saw him in the lower grades he just made everything look easy, his 100 minutes of fg was the same. I’m looking forward to seeing how goes with regular fg.

Smug Panther

First Grade
For averages playing less games is probably not a disadvantage. He had awesome season no doubt, the only issue with him is ball playing. He is great at everything else and just average at ball playing but unfortunately fullbacks need a passing game the way they play now.

For me Staines is the long term option if he can handle the rigours of first grade which he will have to prove on the wing, but if he can he is such a classy player. Obviously his speed is his biggest weapon but he is the total package besides lacking some size. Whenever I saw him in the lower grades he just made everything look easy, his 100 minutes of fg was the same. I’m looking forward to seeing how goes with regular fg.
The worry is Dylan came to the club as a 5/8 I believe. Not sure how much his ballplaying can improve

WestyLife

First Grade

Should've been more specific. It was in response to the talk about Mansour's metres. With Edwards and To'o we are good. Even if Staines moves to fullback Edwards is still one of the better ball runners in the comp.

Kilkenny

Coach
Should've been more specific. It was in response to the talk about Mansour's metres. With Edwards and To'o we are good. Even if Staines moves to fullback Edwards is still one of the better ball runners in the comp.

When it comes the bringing the ball back out of the 20 metre zone I don’t think any player has done that better than Josh. Maybe the stats don’t say that but just watching the game the guy has been a freak for us over the years. He is clearly at the back end of his career but Bennett acquired him for a reason, he knows what Josh will give the Bunnies and his metres will be invaluable. Neither Latrell, nor Johnson do the hard yards different type of players, Josh will get the yards while the Bunnies forwards are still getting back on side. Great pick up for them.

WestyLife

First Grade
When it comes the bringing the ball back out of the 20 metre zone I don’t think any player has done that better than Josh. Maybe the stats don’t say that but just watching the game the guy has been a freak for us over the years. He is clearly at the back end of his career but Bennett acquired him for a reason, he knows what Josh will give the Bunnies and his metres will be invaluable. Neither Latrell, nor Johnson do the hard yards different type of players, Josh will get the yards while the Bunnies forwards are still getting back on side. Great pick up for them.
I never said Mansour was bad at what he did and you've supported my point. Souths need a guy like Mansour, almost like a missing piece they've needed for a while. One we shared at a point. We now have player like Edwards(Better runner who makes more metres and breaks more tackles) To'o who is essentially a younger Mansour. and now Staines rounds it out with pure speed. It's a simple matter of balance more than anything.

Kilkenny

Coach
The worry is Dylan came to the club as a 5/8 I believe. Not sure how much his ballplaying can improve

I can’t remember which position Dylan played in SG Ball. I thought he was always a fullback but I could be wrong.

A ball playing fullback he is not, just not his strengths. His other attributes thou make him a very solid option until something better comes along. Whether that is Staines time will tell. Our salary cap issues are going to be an on going issue so Dylan will have to deliver otherwise he will surely get the Mansour treatment. Tough love, but that’s probably the reality going forward.

Kilkenny

Coach
I never said Mansour was bad at what he did and you've supported my point. Souths need a guy like Mansour, almost like a missing piece they've needed for a while. One we shared at a point. We now have player like Edwards(Better runner who makes more metres and breaks more tackles) To'o who is essentially a younger Mansour. and now Staines rounds it out with pure speed. It's a simple matter of balance more than anything.

I never said you did. Agree with you 100%.

Latest posts