What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

The Great Dane

First Grade
The expectation of immediate on-field success is a bit of a problem. Even 50% isn't good enough. I know it is stating the obvious but that is the average. When you've got teams like Melbourne and the Roosters perennially well above 50%, that doesn't leave so much for everyone else to build a supporter base. Strong supporter bases seem to build on eras of spectacular and sustained success, and survive lean periods. All the strong Sydney clubs have had a sustained period when they were top dog.
I wouldn't even call it an expectation of immediate success.

I'd say that it's hard to build a fan base when you lose all the time, and if you're a new club without a pre-existing fan base that is large enough to support the team (i.e. almost every expansion team), it makes it very hard to survive the lean period if you start off with a lean period because you haven't built a support base to survive off.

Let me put it this way, do you think the, e.g., Crushers attendance more than halves in a couple of seasons and they are quickly punted if they are genuine contenders for a premiership throughout their existence? Probably not right.
If they made the GF instead of being spooners 1997, then odds are that they survive the SL war, and (their financial issues and attempted sabotage aside) there's a good chance that we aren't talking about a second Brisbane side because they are still around today.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brisbane needs more than two teams. It is twice the population of Adelaide (two AFL teams) and half of Sydney (8.5 NRL teams). That Sydney has more AFL teams than Brisbane has NRL teams is the most ridiculous anomaly in Australian sport.
GO with the strength.
Bring in the South East Firehawks (2023) and North Brisbane Dolphins (2024). That gives you at least one game at Suncorp each week and six Brisbane derbies. Huge for RL.
Now that might actually kill off the current Brisbane Lions revival.
Brisbane doesn't need more than two teams, Sydney needs less than 9...

Also no matter how many NRL clubs you add in Brisbane they are never going to be responsible for killing interest in the Lions, that's simply not how the market works.
No matter how many chocolate ice cream products you flood the market with there'll still always be demand for vanilla and strawberry ice cream.

Last edited:

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Brisbane doesn't need more than two teams, Sydney needs less than 9...

Also no matter how many NRL clubs you add in Brisbane they are never going to be responsible for killing interest in the Lions, that's simply not how the market works.
No matter how many chocolate ice cream products you flood the market with, there'll still always be demand for vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
Haha!! What a good analogy.

mongoose

Coach
Brisbane needs more than two teams. It is twice the population of Adelaide (two AFL teams) and half of Sydney (8.5 NRL teams). That Sydney has more AFL teams than Brisbane has NRL teams is the most ridiculous anomaly in Australian sport.
GO with the strength.
Bring in the South East Firehawks (2023) and North Brisbane Dolphins (2024). That gives you at least one game at Suncorp each week and six Brisbane derbies. Huge for RL.
Now that might actually kill off the current Brisbane Lions revival.

It's too late for that. Brisbane has been a 1 team town for so long now, you couldn't just introduce another 2 or 3 teams and expect them to get support.

I've said it many times before on here - most League followers in Brisbane already have a team whether its the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Storm or one of the Sydney clubs. You bring in another 2 or 3 Brisbane clubs and you are just cannibalizing other clubs in the NRL.

Brisbane is definitely well overdue for a 2nd club. Maybe a 3rd down the track in Brisbane or Sunshine Coast if a Sydney club folds/relocates.... but that's a big maybe

T-Boon

Coach
Sure some clubs like Easts and Redcliffe have a lot of the basic infrastructure in place already, but unless they get significant amounts of help from the NRL it's going to be a big ask to sign a competitive team in a year and a half, and the whole thing would be a disaster if they don't have a competitive team from day one.

I disagree with this. I'd rather they have a crap team in 2023 than no team. They can have a crap team then still get it together for 2024.

T-Boon

Coach
It's too late for that. Brisbane has been a 1 team town for so long now, you couldn't just introduce another 2 or 3 teams and expect them to get support.

I've said it many times before on here - most League followers in Brisbane already have a team whether its the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Storm or one of the Sydney clubs. You bring in another 2 or 3 Brisbane clubs and you are just cannibalizing other clubs in the NRL.

Brisbane is definitely well overdue for a 2nd club. Maybe a 3rd down the track in Brisbane or Sunshine Coast if a Sydney club folds/relocates.... but that's a big maybe

3 teams in Brisbane would work in the long term and would be brilliant. In the short term you are right it would be rough and they would have to get by on 10k crowds or so. But it would prove to be the right decision in 20 years time without doubt.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
I wouldn't even call it an expectation of immediate success.

I'd say that it's hard to build a fan base when you lose all the time, and if you're a new club without a pre-existing fan base that is large enough to support the team (i.e. almost every expansion team), it makes it very hard to survive the lean period if you start off with a lean period because you haven't built a support base to survive off.

Let me put it this way, do you think the, e.g., Crushers attendance more than halves in a couple of seasons and they are quickly punted if they are genuine contenders for a premiership throughout their existence? Probably not right.
If they made the GF instead of being spooners 1997, then odds are that they survive the SL war, and (their financial issues and attempted sabotage aside) there's a good chance that we aren't talking about a second Brisbane side because they are still around today.
Yes, but are people not saying that there is not enough chocolate to go around (only one game a week), or some people love chocolate (RL), but just not that particular chocolate (Broncos), therefore people will try salted caramel only to find that they like it better?
Why do you think that AFL has two teams in every market?

Yes, but are people not saying that there is not enough chocolate to go around (only one game a week), or some people love chocolate (RL), but just not that particular chocolate (Broncos), therefore people will try salted caramel only to find that they like it better?

On that argument, NRL already has two teams in Brisbane / SEQ market.

The Titans are finally on way up. Will they be decimated like 1995 to bring a 2nd Brisbane team again?

MugaB

Coach
I like chocolate! Maybe a new brissie team that is the color chocolate, like the panthers of 67-91... or both chocolate AND caramel, a direct offshoot of the Bronx colors a bit derivative, they can be sponsored by nestle, and be the ipswich browns (like the snake)

T-Boon

Coach
On that argument, NRL already has two teams in Brisbane / SEQ market.

The Titans are finally on way up. Will they be decimated like 1995 to bring a 2nd Brisbane team again?

The titans will benefit it is the storm that should get deboweled. The titans will benefit from there being no one single strong club.

shear_joy9

Coach

a few more utensils to their cutlery drawer and some new teams in brisbane will look pretty damn appealing to them

flippikat

Bench
The titans will benefit it is the storm that should get deboweled. The titans will benefit from there being no one single strong club.

This is where the Storm needs to pivot it's focus from Qld feeder arrangements to scouting NZ talent initially, and long run creating the "home grown" talent pipeline in Victoria. It could be a good thing for NZ and Victorian rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its the NRl, when it comes to expansion always good to read what they actually say, not the media headline!

"If I said 2022 they'd be ready"
"If we came to a decision in June this year"
I’m not going to do it if it’s going to hurt the game" (funny Id have thought the commission would be the ones who decided!)

Hopefully they get off their arses this time and do something, even if it is just consolidation rather than expansion!

Perth Red

Post Whore
3 teams in Brisbane would work in the long term and would be brilliant. In the short term you are right it would be rough and they would have to get buy on 10k crowds or so. But it would prove to be the right decision in 20 years time without doubt.

Why? Very few clubs have grown their attendance avg in the last 20 years. Why would new ones be any different?

Latest posts