What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Pippen94

First Grade
Gold Coast and Brisbane are geographically isolated. The two cities have nothing in common. Good luck getting people from Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Ipswich and Logan to adopt the Titans. The only part of Logan that might get on the Titans bandwagon are those who live in areas that used to be part of Gold Coast but are now in Logan, like Beenleigh.

It's like telling Penrith fans that they can go support Easts at the SFS.

I think that can work. Logan would have the best chance of succeeding as RL is stronger there than in Brisbane, and its population is set to boom with nee estates in Yarrabilba and Flagstone.

I think club based truly in the south is the future. Ipswich is a solid cbd but will Logan ppl get on board??

Dogs Of War

Coach
I suppose one thing going for a 2nd Brisbane club is that it gives ex-pats a chance to change who they support without being accused of jumping on any broncos bandwagon.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I suppose one thing going for a 2nd Brisbane club is that it gives ex-pats a chance to change who they support without being accused of jumping on any broncos bandwagon.
The foundation members of every expansion club is built up mainly of people whom were fans of other teams, but are picking up the new local team simply because it's an opportunity to see the footy more consistently.

They'll pick the new team up as their "second team", then if things go well their second team will become their first team after a few years.

Santino Patane

Juniors
The foundation members of every expansion club is built up mainly of people whom were fans of other teams, but are picking up the new local team simply because it's an opportunity to see the footy more consistently.

They'll pick the new team up as their "second team", then if things go well their second team will become their first team after a few years.
This is 100% the truth.

I came on as a Titans fan initially as a second-team fan, but after a few years (around our ‘09-‘10 seasons where we were going really well) they became my first. Also, the game day experience was far better than Suncorp (getting to Robina is so much easier and most Titans fans actually barrack for their team unlike the Hipsters in Brissie).

Most first gen supporters will come on board this way I would guess, then after some success, they will convert over. Kids will then jump on board, and there you have a successful combo.

Santino Patane

Juniors
It also allows fans of the Cowboys, Titans, Warriors, Storm and Sydney clubs who live in Brisbane to have another game that they can attend. The Dragons have strong support in Brisbane. Giving them the opportunity to play 3 games a year in SEQ will be great for them.
This point here gets totally lost south of the border. The Sydney teams fan base has the opportunity to not only see their team’s 11-12 home games a year, but an additional 10 away games (including Newcastle) with a day trip or a drive. Everyone else (apart from the GC and Brisbane for their Derby games) realistically have to jump on a plane to see an away game.

At least with a third SEQ team, the second largest League market gets a bit more of a chance to see live footy.

There is people all over SEQLD that support the Titans already... not in the numbers of the Broncos but they exist. They don't all live on the GC....
I've probably seen one person wear Titans apparel in the northern suburbs of Logan. I've seen more people walking around in Souffs and Cronulla apparel.

Cowboys have a far larger following up here than the Titans. When NRL merchandise is for sale at Coles, Best & Less and Rebel around here it's the Cowboys and Broncos gear that is most sought after.

I think club based truly in the south is the future. Ipswich is a solid cbd but will Logan ppl get on board??

Logan has twice as many people and more grassroot RL clubs. Logan Brothers is the largest club in the Brothers Confraternity.

The Brisbane Firehawks bid would have a massive fanbase to draw from just by focusing heavily on Logan, which they're doing according to their annual report. They have subdistrict clubs in the northern suburbs of Logan and are adding more in the new estates of Yarrabilba and Flagstone.

This is 100% the truth.

I came on as a Titans fan initially as a second-team fan, but after a few years (around our ‘09-‘10 seasons where we were going really well) they became my first. Also, the game day experience was far better than Suncorp (getting to Robina is so much easier and most Titans fans actually barrack for their team unlike the Hipsters in Brissie).

Most first gen supporters will come on board this way I would guess, then after some success, they will convert over. Kids will then jump on board, and there you have a successful combo.
I prefer Robina to Lang Park. It's not as condensed and the queues aren't as long. I just wish the train station was a little closer.

I find it bizarre how many away supporters attend matches at Robina. They often make more noise than the Titans fans. The Cowboys games I've been to at Robina have had more Cowboys fans than Titans and the merchandise kiosk for the Cowboys had plenty of people buying stuff while the Titans one was avoided.

If the Titans rebranded as the Diehards I would attend their games. There are plenty of Valleys fans around in Brisbane. They're an iconic team and would give the Titans history and tradition. People in Brisbane who hate the Broncos would probably be more inclined to support the Gold Coast Diehards, dressed in royal blue, than the Gold Coast Titans. Seagulls-Diehards won the Brisbane Winfield Cup and Woolies Pre-Season competition in 1988, so there's already a history between Gold Coast and Valleys.

This point here gets totally lost south of the border. The Sydney teams fan base has the opportunity to not only see their team’s 11-12 home games a year, but an additional 10 away games (including Newcastle) with a day trip or a drive. Everyone else (apart from the GC and Brisbane for their Derby games) realistically have to jump on a plane to see an away game.

At least with a third SEQ team, the second largest League market gets a bit more of a chance to see live footy.

It's why I think 3 teams in the Greater Brisbane area by 2035 or 2040 should be the goal, as it will create more local derbies and give RL fans more games to attend. It's just a matter of getting the balance between too little and too much just right, as oversaturation will lead to viewer fatigue. 2 teams provide 2 local derbies. 3 teams provide 6.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
This is 100% the truth.

I have to agree. Having been to heaps of games in Sydney at all grounds, then experiencing the Bronco's home game where the atmosphere was horrible, and then being a Titans member for a couple of years just to see some live footy, Titans >>>> Broncos for the atmosphere at games. Titans have some passionate supporters. I think that's what happens when you have some down years, those rusted-on supporters really get into winning footy and let you know about it. Can't wait to see the Titans have some good years in a row to get the Gold Coast community right behind them.

Sickening stuff!!
View attachment 45648

Blasphemy!!! Damn you to hell
:joy:

No one from Penrith would drive that far to see a team that's from the other side of town, regardless of it having the name 'Sydney' in its title. Same applies to SEQ. A few people from Brisbane's southern metropolitan area who don't identify with the Broncos might adopt the Titans, but they're probably not going to be attending all 12 games at Robina and buying memberships each year unless the travel isn't too demanding. Those who live in Moreton and Ipswich would have trouble getting there.

Sydney's lucky to have small grounds spread out across its metro area. It helps build tribalism for people who hate travelling long distances.

I have to agree. Having been to heaps of games in Sydney at all grounds, then experiencing the Bronco's home game where the atmosphere was horrible, and then being a Titans member for a couple of years just to see some live footy, Titans >>>> Broncos for the atmosphere at games. Titans have some passionate supporters. I think that's what happens when you have some down years, those rusted-on supporters really get into winning footy and let you know about it. Can't wait to see the Titans have some good years in a row to get the Gold Coast community right behind them.

It's not too bad being at Lang Park when the Cowboys win, especially in a tight game. Walking down all those stairs and queueing up for the bus ride home is quite rewarding when all the Donkeys fans are glum.

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
The more I think about a second Brissie team, the more I I think it should be (and will be) the Dolphins. This contrasts with the fact I’d be more inclined to back the Firehawks though. Partly growing up on the Southside, the Firehawks would definitely be my second team, whereas the Dolphins would be a third or fourth team.

The NRL has come out and stated on the record that another team cannot cannibalise either existing team. This is something that unfortunately the Firehawks will do to both- they will appeal to areas that have the potential to have both Broncos and Titans fans. Redcliffe on the other hand, won’t impact “both” clubs half as much.

Also, watch the growth of Titans fans in the Logan area over the next few years as they go from strength to strength, it’s actually planned for and focused on inside the club. Donkeys- I know you’re not a believer and I know that I’m biased here totally, but there is a lot of synchronicity between Logan and the Titans, especially with the Leagues Club being built at Oxenford (completely planned to be accessible for fans from Logan).

The Dolphins also sits in a growth corridor, unlike the Easts consortium, so has natural opportunity to grow too. Easts growth will all come from prying away existing fans. There is an initial sugar hit of all the non Broncos Brisbane based league fans, but that’s about it. The wider Moreton Bay area has plenty of people moving to it from interstate and internationally, so these people are where actual growth of Rugby League can come from.

Finally, the infrastructure and capability to sustain themselves much more than anyone else puts the Dolphins as the logical choice for a club to take on #17 in 2023, let’s now just hope it’s gonna happen!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I think about a second Brissie team, the more I I think it should be (and will be) the Dolphins. This contrasts with the fact I’d be more inclined to back the Firehawks though. Partly growing up on the Southside, the Firehawks would definitely be my second team, whereas the Dolphins would be a third or fourth team.

The NRL has come out and stated on the record that another team cannot cannibalise either existing team. This is something that unfortunately the Firehawks will do to both- they will appeal to areas that have the potential to have both Broncos and Titans fans. Redcliffe on the other hand, won’t impact “both” clubs half as much.

Also, watch the growth of Titans fans in the Logan area over the next few years as they go from strength to strength, it’s actually planned for and focused on inside the club. Donkeys- I know you’re not a believer and I know that I’m biased here totally, but there is a lot of synchronicity between Logan and the Titans, especially with the Leagues Club being built at Oxenford (completely planned to be accessible for fans from Logan).

The Dolphins also sits in a growth corridor, unlike the Easts consortium, so has natural opportunity to grow too. Easts growth will all come from prying away existing fans. There is an initial sugar hit of all the non Broncos Brisbane based league fans, but that’s about it. The wider Moreton Bay area has plenty of people moving to it from interstate and internationally, so these people are where actual growth of Rugby League can come from.

Finally, the infrastructure and capability to sustain themselves much more than anyone else puts the Dolphins as the logical choice for a club to take on #17 in 2023, let’s now just hope it’s gonna happen!!

biggest downside is distance from dolphins catchment area to Suncorp. It’s 40 kms and as we know RL fans don’t like to travel to games. It would be concerning to see them kick off in front of 10k fans a game.

Change the Titans to the Gold Coast Scorpions and it'll appeal to Logan RL fans. I'll get on board and support them.

Titans do a lot of work in the Flagstone area, running clinics for the kids.

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
biggest downside is distance from dolphins catchment area to Suncorp. It’s 40 kms and as we know RL fans don’t like to travel to games. It would be concerning to see them kick off in front of 10k fans a game.
I actually don’t think this will be an issue. A lot of people commute for the games in the outer suburbs, and I can’t see it changing for Redcliffe. Also, they are going to appeal to a wider greater Brisbane audience, so I honestly think 15k will be a minimum for them.

I actually don’t think this will be an issue. A lot of people commute for the games in the outer suburbs, and I can’t see it changing for Redcliffe. Also, they are going to appeal to a wider greater Brisbane audience, so I honestly think 15k will be a minimum for them.
I'm interested in how they identify themselves.

Brisbane Dolphins?
North Brisbane Dolphins?
Moreton Bay Dolphins?
East Coast Dolphins?

Perth Red

Post Whore
North coast dolphins or is that too generic?
Problem once again is that all those region names except sq or Brisbane monikers are a loooong way from where they will play games. And given most of their games are going to be either Thursday or Friday nights whose going to travel to watch them?

Diesel

Referee
Moreton Bay seems the best fit. They’re based in the Moreton Bay regional council area, Redcliffe is on the Moreton Bay, the bay covers all of coastal area of greater Brisbane.

MugaB

Coach
I'm interested in how they identify themselves.

Brisbane Dolphins?
North Brisbane Dolphins?
Moreton Bay Dolphins?
East Coast Dolphins?
EASTS COAST Dolphins for sure,
Can't call it brisbane being too far away, Moreton bay isn't that nice of a name, Sth QLD, could work, but if perth gets to call their expansion West Coast Pirates, then Dolphins can call theirs East Coast

Latest posts