What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Roosters ask for $350k Salary Cap Relief

Saxon

Bench
Roosters just taking the piss now.

If it was a one off severe head injury then absolutely it's worth consideration, but it's the fourth in a season for a player with a long record of concussions.
Star players Cordner and Luke Keary have both spent extended periods of time on the sideline due to the Tricolours approach towards player welfare.
Add in the fact that Friend had a couple as well and you have to start to wonder about the tackling techniques they train at the Cocks.

This Year?

Immortal
If they don't get what they want from the NRL, I'm sure their plan B would be to go to the dragons and do a swap to get Poasa Faamausili back.

And being the cucks the Dragons are, they'd probably agree. I can picture the headline already: "Milward the captain catcher stuns the NRL by signing Boyd Cordner".

AJB1102

First Grade
If the rules allow you some cap relief if your player is injured long term in a rep game I guess why not have a go.

I think Canberra got it when Hodgson done a knee?

But a knee and a brain are very different. No one saw Hodgson's ACL going pop - everyone has been watching Cordner's brain get rattled to slush and have felt its only a matter of time until it leaks out his ear.

12 weeks seems convenient. Cut off for eligibility. That'll be like 7 months since his last game/knock. We shouldn't forget he passed the HIA andwas controversially cleared to return from the knock that'll require 7 months out?

Not pointing fingers but something stinks there. I hope its just the rules being toyed with and not Boyd's health/wellbeing.

MugaB

Coach
If the rules allow you some cap relief if your player is injured long term in a rep game I guess why not have a go.

But a knee and a brain are very different. No one saw Hodgson's ACL going pop - everyone has been watching Cordner's brain get rattled to slush and have felt its only a matter of time until it leaks out his ear.

12 weeks seems convenient. Cut off for eligibility. That'll be like 7 months since his last game/knock. We shouldn't forget he passed the HIA andwas controversially cleared to return from the knock that'll require 7 months out?

Not pointing fingers but something stinks there. I hope its just the rules being toyed with and not Boyd's health/wellbeing.
Extremely convenient, i get he is important to that team and being captain is another reason they would try, but its definitely not the same situation as Hodgson was for Canberra, that was a representative international game, and a one of occurrence that ypu can easily say yes you'd be eligible for compensation, Cordner had multiple HIA occurrences during the NRL season, a shortened season too, then played state of origin, when he probably shouldn't have, i feel he only played for this to happen. This is a stitch up

BadnMean

Juniors

Yeah Raiders got some for Rapana a couple of years ago when he busted an AC joint for NZ. I think we applied some for Bateman too when he did similar for England- can't remember if we got that or he came back earlier anyway.

I think the numbers are reasonable; 350k is unlikely to unbalance the comp & no-one is disputing Cordner should take a break (or even retire).

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

NRL set to grant Roosters $350k cap relief over Cordner concussion
ROOSTERS

• February 2, 2021 7:23am
  • JAMES HOOPER
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
816f19813543fc9b7a29e0ba7d39a3ab

Boyd Cordner could miss the first 12 weeks of the 2021 NRL season. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
Champion Sydney Roosters co-captain Boyd Cordner looks set to miss at least the opening 12 games of the season with the NRL set to hand the tricolours $350,000 salary cap relied.

The NRL community has thrown its support behind Cordner in recent months after the NSW State of Origin captain opted to rule himself out of last year’s end-of-season series due to repeated concussions.

Cordner suffered his fourth concussion of the season playing Origin I in Adelaide last November.

Under the NRL rules, the Roosters are eligible to apply for salary cap relief because Cordner sustained the injury playing representative football.

The maximum amount NRL clubs can apply for is $350,000 – which means the player in question must be sidelined for a minimum of 12 weeks.

The Roosters have shown their hand by applying for the full $350,000 and it is understood the NRL will grant it.

The club has also sought the absolute best medical advice for Cordner from a variety of experts.

The Roosters co-captain is expected to opt to continue playing in the NRL provided the doctors green light his return.

The Roosters have led the way on the issue of concussion for the NRL by insisting players who suffer repeated head knocks sit out for up to six weeks.

Star players Cordner and Luke Keary have both spent extended periods of time on the sideline due to the Tricolours approach towards player welfare.

With Cordner expected to be sidelined for the opening three months of the season and club champion Mitch Aubusson retired, the Roosters are expected to turn to Angus Crichton and Sitili Tupouniua as the club’s starting edge backrowers.

The NRL confirmed to Fox Sports the Roosters formally submitted the Cordner paperwork last week.

Roosters just taking the piss now.

If it was a one off severe head injury then absolutely it's worth consideration, but it's the fourth in a season for a player with a long record of concussions.

Add in the fact that Friend had a couple as well and you have to start to wonder about the tackling techniques they train at the Cocks.

Given that there are many facets (many of which we don’t fully understand) to a brain that control different parts of our body, you could argue every concussion is a new injury which is where the medical exemptions come in?

I do understand your suspicions but you have to treat concussions differently or you risk clubs and players trying to cover up.

It was brought in due to Hodgson getting injured when playing for England against Tonga in the 2017 WC Semi-Final. The last player and club who availed themselves of it was the Canterbury Bulldogs when Kieran Foran did his shoulder playing for NZ in an end of season Test in 2019. The Bulldogs complained publicly that it was only $350,000 and not the full amount of Foran's contract.

As to the "salary cap woes" some of you are going on about, proves you have NFI. The rule states that -

"To qualify for maximum dispensation, a player must miss three months of the NRL season and be replaced with a like-for-like player."

The $350,000 is the maximum dispensation.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...f-for-cordner-concussion-20210201-p56ykg.html