What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Its interesting that journos need access to players & clubs for their livelihood. After a while they develop friendships with players & officials so it is not surprising that the media ( particularly TV ) go in to bat for their "mates ". The ignorance of McWreckers ineptitude is a prime example of this. As long as the access is still there don't let facts get in the way of a feelgood story or two.
O for the days of Alan Clarkson etc !
Couldn’t agree with you more! Clarkson’s era felt like you were reading about League; now it often sounds like a mutual admiration society gossip club.

denis preston

First Grade
Corey Parker got sacked by the Broncos.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/corey-...ing-feud/3f64f8be-1f5d-479e-9842-6be3e78f7aa6

Be afraid.
Be very afraid.
Corey Parker is a classic example of the "job for life " expectation most good NRL players have. It is not enough to earn over half a mill a year as a player but the expectation for another 150 - 250k a year in the media./ coaching or some other role in leeching clubs. At least as a player they can justify their salary but as commentators 90% of these former players dont offer any insights and come from the Laurie Daly school of "stating the bloody obvious"

BLM01

First Grade
Corey Parker is a classic example of the "job for life " expectation most good NRL players have. It is not enough to earn over half a mill a year as a player but the expectation for another 150 - 250k a year in the media./ coaching or some other role in leeching clubs. At least as a player they can justify their salary but as commentators 90% of these former players dont offer any insights and come from the Laurie Daly school of "stating the bloody obvious"

And we all know there has been a few of these within our club ranks at all levels within the last 15-20 years except Bennetts tenure.

It seems to be the modern way and a way around the cap for senior players if part of your last deal is a carrot post retirement and good $$$ for putting out cones in a club T-shirt at training.
Player managers recognise that some of these higher profile players need help to transition from doing all they know to the real world of having nothing to do and trying to get a job with in a lot of cases no qualifications or experience and maintaining a lifestyle earning less than $100,000 p.a, (even though some have set themselves up financially for life with their pro career)..so they get on the blower to all and sundry.
I just feel a bit more for the lower profile and earning 1st graders that slip away quietly never to be heard from again who hopefully have been smart enough to set up their transition when its over and not rely on others.

And we all know there has been a few of these within our club ranks at all levels within the last 15-20 years except Bennetts tenure.

It seems to be the modern way and a way around the cap for senior players if part of your last deal is a carrot post retirement and good $$$ for putting out cones in a club T-shirt at training.
Player managers recognise that some of these higher profile players need help to transition from doing all they know to the real world of having nothing to do and trying to get a job with in a lot of cases no qualifications or experience and maintaining a lifestyle earning less than $100,000 p.a, (even though some have set themselves up financially for life with their pro career)..so they get on the blower to all and sundry.
I just feel a bit more for the lower profile and earning 1st graders that slip away quietly never to be heard from again who hopefully have been smart enough to set up their transition when its over and not rely on others.

this is when it’s actually nice that players who weren’t “elite” and struggled to make top grade go on to be successful educators ie coach or Assistant Coach.
Peter Gentle and Justin Holbrook spring to mind.

Drakon

Juniors
Fulton, Murray & Gibson, Sheens maybe Brian Smith would be the last in that era that could claim that
Modern day Hasler, Bellamy and Sticky were good players and pretty successful coaches

Yeh your right 86 you have to think deep to remember any
Bennett

ALSGI

Bench
Fulton, Murray & Gibson, Sheens maybe Brian Smith would be the last in that era that could claim that
Modern day Hasler, Bellamy and Sticky were good players and pretty successful coaches

Yeh your right 86 you have to think deep to remember any
Pretty sure Brian Smith never played first grade, let alone be classed as a good player.
He was my PE teacher and coach at School before he coached I think the u23’s before 1st Grade.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Pretty sure Brian Smith never played first grade, let alone be classed as a good player.
He was my PE teacher and coach at School before he coached I think the u23’s before 1st Grade.
He actually did ALSGI; whilst not a great player he played first grade for St George when Billy Smith was injured. You can see him on a youtube video playing (fg) against Newtown at the SCG.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Yeh fair call That is why I said I “think”
But I was sure he played 1st grade for Souths in the halves.. happy for any corrections to that

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Warren Ryan also a good player not a great one but great coach; Roy Masters no real playing achievements but great coach. Always think the game is bias towards ‘an expectation’ that ex players will naturally transform into great coaches. Different skills set entirely and surprised why we haven’t seen more coaches in our game in recent years without necessarily having the prerequisite of having a grade playing career.

Latest posts