What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Fair enough but if he's MIA it might well be another roster spot that's opened up. Theses also media reports today that Our Eels have "torn up" Mennings contract. The vacancies are growing.

Haven’t torn up his contract, it only says we have stopped playing him. We won’t be able to terminate Jennings contract until his case is heard (or maybe B sample comes back)

Incorrect

Coach
I hope fans don't expect too much from Penisini, although it seems like some already are. Those in attendance yesterday would've seen why he isn't ready for first grade. Currently he may only just be ready for reserve grade. The highest level he's played regularly is under 18's, jumping straight up to reserves from that level is huge, the jump up to firsts is even further. He isn't mentally, or physically ready for first grade at this stage.
You're saying there's a hint of premature adulation for Penisini?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

maybe read the source article, I like this part:

“However coach Brad Arthur has to play $400,000 under the salary cap until there is a verdict. No one has a clue how long that will take as some cases can take up to two years.”

interestingly no mention of contract being torn up.....

Anyhow here it is:

The Parramatta Eels have cut off payments to banned star Michael Jennings as he awaits the outcome of a Sports Integrity Australia inquiry into his alleged drug cheating.

The 32-year-old centre is now working for a building company to provide for his family until a verdict is handed down on his footballing future.

Jennings was provisionally suspended from the NRL on the day of Parramatta’s finals match against South Sydney last October after returning a positive A-sample for banned substances Ligandrol and Ibutamoren and three of their metabolites.

Watch Live & On-Demand coverage of NRL pre-season trial matches on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >

b2c85cbcf916f44aeac2c39732ac4dad

Michael Jennings is working for a building company. Picture: Phil Hillyard
His lawyers have asked for a six-week extension to prepare his case.

The Eels continue to offer welfare support but have suspended his $8000-a-week salary on what is understood to be a $400,000 contract. The RLPA is monitoring the situation.

Jennings’ deal expires at the end of this season but he has an option in his favour.

Parramatta’s stance is different to that of Newcastle which kept paying Jarrod Mullen $15,000 a week in 2017 after he tested positive to steroid use until he was thrown out of the game.

St George Illawarra also continues to pay Jack de Belin despite sexual assault charges.

However last year the Cronulla Sharks stopped payments to Bronson Xerri.

A friend of Jennings told The Sunday Telegraph: “It’s great that he’s working and not just sitting around. He’s decided to keep himself busy.”

It is a difficult case for the Eels. As late as Friday the club’s welfare team spoke to him to check on his wellbeing.

However coach Brad Arthur has to play $400,000 under the salary cap until there is a verdict. No one has a clue how long that will take as some cases can take up to two years.

“Like in all cases, we are prevented from making any comment,” a Sports Integrity spokesman said.

When asked about the situation, Eels chief executive Jim Sarantinos also declined to comment because of confidentiality agreements.

Jennings is understood to be using a Melbourne barrister who was involved in the old Essendon AFL drugs scandal.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
maybe read the source article, I like this part:

“However coach Brad Arthur has to play $400,000 under the salary cap until there is a verdict. No one has a clue how long that will take as some cases can take up to two years.”

interestingly no mention of contract being torn up.....

Anyhow here it is:

The Parramatta Eels have cut off payments to banned star Michael Jennings as he awaits the outcome of a Sports Integrity Australia inquiry into his alleged drug cheating.

The 32-year-old centre is now working for a building company to provide for his family until a verdict is handed down on his footballing future.

Jennings was provisionally suspended from the NRL on the day of Parramatta’s finals match against South Sydney last October after returning a positive A-sample for banned substances Ligandrol and Ibutamoren and three of their metabolites.

Watch Live & On-Demand coverage of NRL pre-season trial matches on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >

b2c85cbcf916f44aeac2c39732ac4dad

Michael Jennings is working for a building company. Picture: Phil Hillyard
His lawyers have asked for a six-week extension to prepare his case.

The Eels continue to offer welfare support but have suspended his $8000-a-week salary on what is understood to be a $400,000 contract. The RLPA is monitoring the situation.

Jennings’ deal expires at the end of this season but he has an option in his favour.

Parramatta’s stance is different to that of Newcastle which kept paying Jarrod Mullen $15,000 a week in 2017 after he tested positive to steroid use until he was thrown out of the game.

St George Illawarra also continues to pay Jack de Belin despite sexual assault charges.

However last year the Cronulla Sharks stopped payments to Bronson Xerri.

A friend of Jennings told The Sunday Telegraph: “It’s great that he’s working and not just sitting around. He’s decided to keep himself busy.”

It is a difficult case for the Eels. As late as Friday the club’s welfare team spoke to him to check on his wellbeing.

However coach Brad Arthur has to play $400,000 under the salary cap until there is a verdict. No one has a clue how long that will take as some cases can take up to two years.

“Like in all cases, we are prevented from making any comment,” a Sports Integrity spokesman said.

When asked about the situation, Eels chief executive Jim Sarantinos also declined to comment because of confidentiality agreements.

Jennings is understood to be using a Melbourne barrister who was involved in the old Essendon AFL drugs scandal.

Read the article? That's for loosers, I blow my load over headlines

hindy111

Post Whore
At their best, I think it's arguable that Junior Paulo, and Mitchell Moses, are our X-factors.

Excellent players. But if you count Moses then you need to count heaps of halves who I would dismiss.
Jnr is kind of x factor. Bryce maybe but not the explosive type I am talking about

Eelementary

Post Whore
Excellent players. But if you count Moses then you need to count heaps of halves who I would dismiss.
Jnr is kind of x factor. Bryce maybe but not the explosive type I am talking about

I was speaking specifically about Eels players.

It's true we don't have our own version of Tedesco, Kikau, etc. - but our side plays a game based on forward dominance, and discipline.

It's hard to watch sometimes, because it's quite boring, but it's relatively effective.

Kikau- as good an attacking player as he is - is quite average defensively.

Tedesco - as explosive as he is - has a limited skill set, and isn't a great defender.

I am not sure you need X-factor players, so much as you need efficient players; if we get to the attacking red zone, the goal should be to score points, or get a repeat set, with every play.

But sometimes, we panic, and make bad plays; our efficiency isn't fantastic.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How many of them have played 150 NRL games and can kick? Moses is not a complete halfback, but he definitely has X factor. If he can go back to playing what's in front of him instead of having to worry about all the build up play he will be exactly what we need.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It's true we don't have our own version of Tedesco, Kikau, etc. - but our side plays a game based on forward dominance, and discipline.

It's hard to watch sometimes, because it's quite boring, but it's relatively effective.

Tedesco - as explosive as he is - has a limited skill set, and isn't a great defender.

I am not sure you need X-factor players, so much as you need efficient players; if we get to the attacking red zone, the goal should be to score points, or get a repeat set, with every play.

And that comes down to poor decision making by the spine players. Gutherson is getting better at making decisions but we are banking on improvement in Mahoney and Drown for us to go to the next level.

IFR33K

Coach

In regard to your comments about our game plan and forward dominance, it is boring and I think predictable. This could be BA’s biggest flaw. No variation or game plans to target the oppositions weakness’.

hindy111

Post Whore

Wow. Teddy isn't a great defender? He is brilliant. His running game is best I have ever seen and that includes slater or Hayne.

Kikau is an absolute weapon. His defense may not be great but I love watching him play.

I wonder what Semi situation is. Id love him back. A guy who can make 50mtr runs from nothing.

hindy111

Post Whore
How many of them have played 150 NRL games and can kick? Moses is not a complete halfback, but he definitely has X factor. If he can go back to playing what's in front of him instead of having to worry about all the build up play he will be exactly what we need.

It is just what I have noticed. Premiership sides tend to have a x factor.
Maybe Sharks where an exception. Barba, Holmes,Bird and Fafita where close but maybe not quite there. But for that one season maybe you could argue they where.