What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 27th February 6:30pm @Glen Willow Stadium

callmack1

Staff member

truthslayer

Juniors
Walker, Mitchell star as Dragons humbled by Rabbitohs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/02/27/walker-mitchell-star-as-dragons-humbled-by-rabbitohs/

Latrell and Walker send ominous NRL warning with classy clinic to sink hapless Dragons: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/9f53433539c5c33f6078a052713eaef3

Gallery - Charity Shield vs Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/02/27/charity-shield-match-day-gallery/
Its going to be tough to make the top team, Liam Knight and Jayden Sua Missing yesterday!

handyman2190

Bench
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. I'm kinda speechless!! Expected us to be on but I didn't expect us to be that on! I mean, 48-16 in the Charity Shield? First game of the year? Again, wow. A record breaking performance as it's the biggest by any team in Charity Shield history and it also brings up nine Shield wins in a row for us!

They said in the commentary that they've never ever seen a side come out and just be that on in the first game of the year in a trial, never. I have to agree with them because that first half in particular was simply scintillating! Firstly, the full strength starting side not making ANY errors at all in the first half and completing ALL their sets is just incredible, especially for a trial game, absolutely incredible. Ball security was one of our biggest let downs last year so it was a good sign in that regard. And then we just put them to the sword!! The forwards laid a fantastic platform led by awesome performances from Burgess, Murray and Host which allowed the backs to work their magic, and boy did we do that!! The Dragons just couldn't stop us and one stage. Our entire spine fired but Latrell and Coduy in particular were crazy good! Latrell is just a freak and that pass for Cody's first try was amazing. I just can't get over how on those two were, it bodes very well for the Season proper. Aside from all that, everyone, including all the forward pack, got through the first 40 without a break so that shows you were our fitness is at.

The second half wasn't quite as good as we let them back in but that's to be expected considering it was almost a completely different 13. despite looking a bit shakey in defence at times, they still all did really well and managed to match the Dragons and keep the scoreboard ticking over which is a great sign. I liked what I saw from the likes of Taaffe, Marshall, Moga, Mansour and Arrow.

For us Footy starved members and fans, that was great nourishment. Couldn't ask anymore really. Still, the Dragons were poor no doubt and it's the age old line that Premierships aren't won in February so let's not get too carried away. still so happy though!

Bring on Round 1!!
It was a great performance, and whilst the 2nd half showed us the difference in class, we still managed to whip the floor.
But, dont be so overly enthusiastic, i dont consider hook that good a coach and st george still have massive problems, as their performance showed, there is no quick fix for them, and truthfully their spine is so weak, they will struggle this year. Id be going to the market for a half that can play,i think hunt has shown he just isnt it in the 7 and norman needs to go.

handyman2190

Bench
Hey Callmack, I didn't get to see the game but I noticed you said you liked what you saw from Moga. I'm really happy to hear that as I think he's going to be a very astute signing for us this year.
Im not happy with mogas workrate he looks unfit, as does marsters who could do with a 10kg reduction,his defence was very average

handyman2190

Bench
Very very impressive.

The backline looks so threatening, on both sides. I'll bet that sent a shiver down the spines of a few teams.

The fowards were great too, Keaon played 55 straight and then came back with about 10 to go. Jacob Host was very impressive in defense and on the edge,

The strike power is all over the park. It's scary.

Prediction: We won't be beat if we stay injury free
Host actually had a good game did alot of D and ran over 100m satisfyed he will contribute

big hit!

Bench
Normally I come in here with some light hearted banter, but tonight I'm absolutely embarrassed as a Dragons fan. In all honesty I literally cannot think of anything constructive or positive to type about the way my team has played tonight. As an opposition fan that's pretty much the ultimate compliment. I really was hoping this game would be more of a contest, but that 15 minutes was very telling.

We've all been in that place as fans (well most of us anyway), so I'll just leave it at that.

Enjoy the win tonight and good luck for the season ahead.

Got some good kids in Feagi and Sullivan - they both individual sets of male twins aren't they? So if their brothers come along too, they might be some joy for Saints fans down the track.

But yes, Hook largely kept the 1st side on the park for most of game, so fairly worrying for this season.

End of day, it's not the coach, it's the cattle. Saints don't have them

Jim Rockford

Bench
Im not happy with mogas workrate he looks unfit, as does marsters who could do with a 10kg reduction,his defence was very average
The good thing is fitness can be worked on. As Big Hit! pointed out it's the first hit-out of the year. I'm sure our training staff will have him lean and mean before too long.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We are definitely going to be a force in the competition but I do have my concerns that we are going to be overly reliant on the left side shift. That seems to be our go to play and we're not going to be up against Josh Kerr every week.

Some standouts for me in that game were Mitchell, Walker, Murray and Tom Burgess. Tom was pushing them back for fun.

The biggest thing for me was our handling. We had an 100% completion rate in the first half. If we keep this kind of completion up we should be in for a good year.

Wizardman

First Grade
We are definitely going to be a force in the competition but I do have my concerns that we are going to be overly reliant on the left side shift. That seems to be our go to play and we're not going to be up against Josh Kerr every week.

Some standouts for me in that game were Mitchell, Walker, Murray and Tom Burgess. Tom was pushing them back for fun.

The biggest thing for me was our handling. We had an 100% completion rate in the first half. If we keep this kind of completion up we should be in for a good year.
The performance was that good that they will struggle to match that. Teams have ups and downs....that was an insane up half.

big hit!

Bench

Yeah, this is thing that you think is easy to replicate each week, but is the most frustrating aspect of watching or coaching in Rugby League IMO.

Drop balls, pushed passes, bad passes, bad play-the-balls, etc all lead to incomplete sets.

The boys looked sharp on Saturday night. But they also played a footy team that didn't really put them under much pressure. Will be different vs Melbourne in Rd 1. Replicating these complete sets against better drilled team with better footballers will be the test. And Melbourne are also one of the best at completing their own sets.

Wizardman

First Grade
Yeah, this is thing that you think is easy to replicate each week, but is the most frustrating aspect of watching or coaching in Rugby League IMO.

Drop balls, pushed passes, bad passes, bad play-the-balls, etc all lead to incomplete sets.

The boys looked sharp on Saturday night. But they also played a footy team that didn't really put them under much pressure. Will be different vs Melbourne in Rd 1. Replicating these complete sets against better drilled team with better footballers will be the test. And Melbourne are also one of the best at completing their own sets.
Melbourne have an incredible round one record. I don't think Bellamy has ever lost a round one fixture.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Melbourne have an incredible round one record. I don't think Bellamy has ever lost a round one fixture.
It sure is gonna be extremely tough. Such a hostile environment down there as well and we always never have won down there, even when we we’ve been ahead the Storm find a way to win it or we find a way to lose it......

I feel like this could be our time though to get that win down there. Completions and discipline will be very much key as well as not getting frustrated with an iffy refs decision as that can happen down there.... we can’t let anything get to us must stay focussed for the 80mins.

Latest posts