What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Dragons: Saturday 27th February 6:30pm @Glen Willow Stadium

Jim Rockford

Bench
Thanks for posting that training update Callmack. I'm hoping Cookies poor service is just a case of being a little rusty. The good thing is we can now throw Benji in there if Cookie is a little off during a game.

callmack1

Staff member
Here. We. Go!!! It was great to have the All Stars and our forst trial last week but ever since October last year, I think this is the day we have all be waiting for, it's Charity Shield Game Day!!! Always a big game. There's silverwear up for grabs against traditional rivals and this game is covered in history. This is no trial match.

We're gunning for our nineth straight Charity Shield victory so the Dragons are going to be more desperate that ever to win this game and get it back. There's also been a lot of talk about how they're going to go this year so they'll want to come out in this trial and show everyone what they're in for. We need to be ready for a very tough contest tonight.

For us, it's a great chance to see where we're really at against a quality NRL outfit as it's two near full strength sides going up against each other. Of course, we'll be just as desperate to win but this game is a trial so it's a great chance to give everyone some game time and trial our combinations, work out what works and what doesn't, blow out some cobwebs and iron out a few creases. I simply cannot wait to see a near full strength side run out there for us!

The blood is boilling and I feel ready! Gonna be so good to be back screaming at the TV tonight. Let's go!!!

assess5

Juniors
A few comments from a guy on another forum,

Damien Cook was throwing some poor passes. There was the usual crash ball to Burgess that was put down. Have to say from what I saw yesterday the ball distribution by Benji was so much better.

Pardon me for cutting that report to what's left but what I want to say is -

Fox Sport has been screening all the old Charity Shield matches from its inception and it great to watch all the old players going at it and you can say 'oh he went on to achieve da da da da....or he went and signed with da da da ......

Now, watching Isaac Luke (one of my favorite all time RL players) delivering a crash ball, the receiving player coming on the burst always got the ball a couple of meters before the defensive line and so was able to catch and hold the pass.
Now, if you watch Cook's crash ball delivery, the player is right on the line at the time of catching the pass, and, quite often, maybe to often, the ball is spilled for the obvious reasons.

Now I'm not the coach but I aint stooopid either, so maybe a bit of work here might not go astray.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
This is scintillating STAND AND APPLAUD

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. I'm kinda speechless!! Expected us to be on but I didn't expect us to be that on! I mean, 48-16 in the Charity Shield? First game of the year? Again, wow. A record breaking performance as it's the biggest by any team in Charity Shield history and it also brings up nine Shield wins in a row for us!

They said in the commentary that they've never ever seen a side come out and just be that on in the first game of the year in a trial, never. I have to agree with them because that first half in particular was simply scintillating! Firstly, the full strength starting side not making ANY errors at all in the first half and completing ALL their sets is just incredible, especially for a trial game, absolutely incredible. Ball security was one of our biggest let downs last year so it was a good sign in that regard. And then we just put them to the sword!! The forwards laid a fantastic platform led by awesome performances from Burgess, Murray and Host which allowed the backs to work their magic, and boy did we do that!! The Dragons just couldn't stop us and one stage. Our entire spine fired but Latrell and Coduy in particular were crazy good! Latrell is just a freak and that pass for Cody's first try was amazing. I just can't get over how on those two were, it bodes very well for the Season proper. Aside from all that, everyone, including all the forward pack, got through the first 40 without a break so that shows you were our fitness is at.

The second half wasn't quite as good as we let them back in but that's to be expected considering it was almost a completely different 13. despite looking a bit shakey in defence at times, they still all did really well and managed to match the Dragons and keep the scoreboard ticking over which is a great sign. I liked what I saw from the likes of Taaffe, Marshall, Moga, Mansour and Arrow.

For us Footy starved members and fans, that was great nourishment. Couldn't ask anymore really. Still, the Dragons were poor no doubt and it's the age old line that Premierships aren't won in February so let's not get too carried away. still so happy though!

Bring on Round 1!!

Jim Rockford

Bench
Hey Callmack, I didn't get to see the game but I noticed you said you liked what you saw from Moga. I'm really happy to hear that as I think he's going to be a very astute signing for us this year.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Very very impressive.

The backline looks so threatening, on both sides. I'll bet that sent a shiver down the spines of a few teams.

The fowards were great too, Keaon played 55 straight and then came back with about 10 to go. Jacob Host was very impressive in defense and on the edge,

The strike power is all over the park. It's scary.

Prediction: We won't be beat if we stay injury free

This Year?

Immortal
Normally I come in here with some light hearted banter, but tonight I'm absolutely embarrassed as a Dragons fan. In all honesty I literally cannot think of anything constructive or positive to type about the way my team has played tonight. As an opposition fan that's pretty much the ultimate compliment. I really was hoping this game would be more of a contest, but that 15 minutes was very telling.

We've all been in that place as fans (well most of us anyway), so I'll just leave it at that.

Enjoy the win tonight and good luck for the season ahead.

Latest posts