What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

reanimate

Bench
BS - it is a separate city/region from Brisbane - always had been. It was Redcliffe CITY council before it was amalgamated in 2008 with the Shires of Pine Rivers and Caboolture to create Moreton Bay Region. They were/are never part of Brisbane either. Redcliffe was always the next city north of Brisbane. That's like saying Wollongong is part of Sydney or Gold Coast is part of Brisbane.
A council can have 'city' in their name and still be part of a greater city. For example, in Sydney we have the City of Ryde Council and the City of Canada Bay Council, both LGAs are most definitely part of Sydney.

yadamisha

Juniors
A council can have 'city' in their name and still be part of a greater city. For example, in Sydney we have the City of Ryde Council and the City of Canada Bay Council, both LGAs are most definitely part of Sydney.

No shit Sherlock, but Redcliffe is NOT part of Brisbane. Redcliffe reps teams, in any sport, would play against Brisbane in state tournaments!

This was all about identity!

I love how all these NSW people (or elsewhere) are telling people from Redcliffe where they should identify as to where they come from, when those who actually come from that area do not agree with anything they are saying!

I don't know anyone from Redcliffe who says they come from Brisbane, similarly someone from Sunshine or Gold Coast say they are from Brisbane.

Redcliffe is north of Brisbane! Take if from someone from there and not assume otherwise when you are not!

Calling the team Brisbane Dolphins will alienate their traditional supporters. They know it can't be Redcliffe, but it can't be Brisbane either!

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
I am not sure if this was @yadamisha intention, but I am now 100% against Redcliffe. If it ain’t Brisbane, then they can piss off. We need a second Brisbane team. Sounds like Redcliffe can form a breakaway league where they play against Central Coast, Steelers, Queanbeyan, and any other country town who has delusions of grandeur. If they don’t want to identify as Brisbane, then they have completely misread the room. There is a very good reason why the A League admitted the Western Sydney Wanderers and not Manly FC. We need broad appeal, not niche.

MugaB

Coach
I am not sure if this was @yadamisha intention, but I am now 100% against Redcliffe. If it ain’t Brisbane, then they can piss off. We need a second Brisbane team. Sounds like Redcliffe can form a breakaway league where they play against Central Coast, Steelers, Queanbeyan, and any other country town who has delusions of grandeur. If they don’t want to identify as Brisbane, then they have completely misread the room. There is a very good reason why the A League admitted the Western Sydney Wanderers and not Manly FC. We need broad appeal, not niche.
Sunshine State Dolphins, it's basically another broad "South Queensland" type term
The reason they are keen on using Sunshine State is to keep it broad enough to play at Sunshine Coast stadium, and Suncorp, even Redcliffe if need be for a few exhibitions,Trials and Training.
I prefer East Coast Dolphins, but Sunshine State Dolphins seems to fit better for QLD as SEQ is the area they are targeting, not specifically "Brisbane"
and East Coast is very Vague where it could be anywhere north or south of the border.
Redcliffe WILL NOT be used as the name, this has already been stated by the bid, but they are open to suggestions, and have already saved the name "Brisbane Dolphins" incase the consenus chooses that over any other option

mongoose

Coach
BS - it is a separate city/region from Brisbane - always had been. It was Redcliffe CITY council before it was amalgamated in 2008 with the Shires of Pine Rivers and Caboolture to create Moreton Bay Region. They were/are never part of Brisbane either. Redcliffe was always the next city north of Brisbane. That's like saying Wollongong is part of Sydney or Gold Coast is part of Brisbane.

Your quote is referring to the suburb idiot, the region is named after that suburb, FMD, it's not a suburb of Brisbane! What's your quote from Wiki? The council chambers remain in Redcliffe, but the LGA name was changed to Moreton as a compromise - hence my suggestion for the NRL Dolphins.

Brisbane stops at the Hornibrook bridge - look that up, because I doubt you know what that is! Redcliffe as a suburb has nothing to do with Brisbane City metropolitan area apart from Redcliffe being the original capital of QLD as the first settlement until they moved it to a bigger river, now known as the Brisbane River.

Don't comment unless you know what you are talking about, obviously you don't come from anywhere near the area!

Geez ok dipshit, then if that's the case Redcliffe should definitely NOT get the next NRL license and they sure as f**k shouldn't play any games at Suncorp stadium since Redcliffe is a completely different city.
Seems like the Dolphins have conned the NRL into thinking they can be the second Brisbane team but as they are a different city I doubt anyone from Brisbane will support them so Dolphins are a waste of time.

Perhaps a crude comparison...

But..

Port Adelaide was already a strong club in the state SAFL before they were brought it into the national comp. They aren’t based in Adelaide, (but admittedly not too far away) and brought a strong supporter base with them. Support now for both clubs is very strong (Crows and PA). The two-teams-one-town scenario really works here - and they hate each other.

That said, I like the Dolphins as the 2nd team as there will be an existing supporter base to start off with that can be grown against a rival in the broncos. I’m just not certain how many people will switch from whoever they follow to support “firehawks”..,

But agree they should play out of Lang Park / Suncorp.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Moreton Bay Dolphins. Moreton Bay covers most of Brisbane all the way down to Victoria Point. But the Moreton Bay council region is really north Brisbane. So you sort of cover both. And it still allows in the future Ipswich/West Brisbane team to come on board.

reanimate

Bench
Redcliffe reps teams, in any sport, would play against Brisbane in state tournaments!
This is meaningless, in a lot of Sydney/NSW sporting comps and conferences, a Manly/Manly-Warringah/Northern Beaches/Northern Sydney team will often vs a team called Sydney, does that mean the Northern Beaches aren't part of Sydney?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
FFS. The people of Redcliffe would not give a rats rear regarding the variable dropped infront of ‘Dolphins’ - they would be creaming their draws at their local teams promotion to the NRL.

The more intelligent folk that support them will understand that the name ‘Brisbane Dolphins’ would be commercially beneficial to them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can this expansion talk be taken elsewhere please?
This is a stadiums thread.

we have an expansion thread with numerus dolphins conversations, come and join us :)

Back to stadiums, any news or rumblings about the NSW govt deliberations on what it will do now its binned an ANZ refurb?

MugaB

Coach
we have an expansion thread with numerus dolphins conversations, come and join us :)

Back to stadiums, any news or rumblings about the NSW govt deliberations on what it will do now its binned an ANZ refurb?
To my knowledge the 4 Mini bankwest style upgrades are still happening
Manly, Kogarah, Liverpool, and Penrith
I'd say only the Liverpool one will be the only New, made from scratch stadium that will have some resemblance to Parramattas Bankwest and the others are only improvements to upgrade the facilities to be of bankwest's standard.
I also heard that leichardt was getting some love, but that's gone quiet now, not sure if thats in any plans other than those orginal four areas

Timbo

Staff member
I don’t hate the idea of an 18,000 seat stadium somewhere in the southwest.

I think if Wests and Canterbury shared it for most of their home games, and played derby’s at BankWest, it could be a cracker.

I don’t see this as a lack of initiative on the part of rugby league. We’re never going to get NFL or AFL sized crowds, and I think we need to accept that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with a 15,000 or so average in a sport that’s made for TV in a country with our population.

And, I don’t care what the most one eyed league fan thinks, we are a millennia away from 40,000 people showing up to watch Wests vs Gold Coast on a Saturday night.

A brilliant 18,000 seat stadium would have a great atmosphere every week, and create competition for tickets. Something like:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totally_Wicked_Stadium

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Park

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquakes_Stadium

One of those would be awesome to watch club footy at.

Tiger Shark

Bench
To my knowledge the 4 Mini bankwest style upgrades are still happening
Manly, Kogarah, Liverpool, and Penrith
I'd say only the Liverpool one will be the only New, made from scratch stadium that will have some resemblance to Parramattas Bankwest and the others are only improvements to upgrade the facilities to be of bankwest's standard.
I also heard that leichardt was getting some love, but that's gone quiet now, not sure if thats in any plans other than those orginal four areas

If Leichardt is getting love and they only play a handful of games there then Shark Park needs to get some love.

To be upgrading Kogarah with the Dragons only committing a handful of games there and the Sharks not committing is ridiculous. Hopefully it's the last stadium to be done and they come to their senses by then. At the pace they're going in about 15 years time.

Latest posts