What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5: Eels v Dragons GAME DAY THREAD @ BankWest Stadium 11/4/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Yep, now we can all come back to earth, and re evaluate the team.....we are not as good as our position on the ladder suggests.

We are not a top 8 team.

We are poorly coached.

We have the cattle, but no direction.

We have absolutely no hope of winning a premiership this year.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Yep, now we can all come back to earth, and re evaluate the team.....we are not as good as our position on the ladder suggests.

We are not a top 8 team.

We are poorly coached.

Glenn

First Grade

We are not a top 8 team.

We are poorly coached.

Parramatta are still a top 8 side, to be able to knock off Melbourne showed they can mix it with the best.
Just need the consistency.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dylan Brown offers absolutely nothing as a half. Has not provided one line break assist all year. Everyone harps on about his running game but he has only produced 1 line break all year (tonight).He basically just takes hitups 2 off the ruck.
He usually creates space for the second receiver (mostly Gutherson) but he does need to start hitting the decoy runner more.

I think that because he isn't needed to kick on the last, and because his running game is strong, when the pass out the back isn't on he prefers to take the tackle himself instead of putting on the short ball. It's lower risk but it means less chance of a linebreak.

Soto

Bench
He has all the tools except for the ability to make good decisions. Even his defence is solid now.
Which prop should've played instead? Papali'i and Niukore were needed on the edges. Cartwright first came on in the middle. There was nobody else available.
Hipgrave has a go but he lacks Cartwright's size and mobility. Hopefully Oldfield solves both of those problems.

We have been lucky but every team that wins the comp has some luck. We just need to make the finals and roll the dice on the day. I think we have a better team than last year.
Hipgrave over Cartwright and Stone..no contest. Size wise there aint much in it but Stone we've all hoped would come good..i guess its also hard when the coach gives u lots of game time like 10-12 mins..Stone just needs to be playing footy which he isnt. Needs time in reserve grade..Cartwright was short of a gallop and again showed he has errors, lacks defensive grit and just can't be trusted enough to run and pass..no need to kick...again there was no reason to change what he had for the last couple of weeks

Noise

Coach
He usually creates space for the second receiver (mostly Gutherson) but he does need to start hitting the decoy runner more.
Yep he either passes to Gutho way before the line or goes himself. So easy for the defence to read. I also don’t think he can throw a flat long ball left to right on the run with any confidence.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think fans matter in this. Jim Santinos said we'll be finalists every year and then we'll see how many premierships we win.
He's right that winning premierships comes from consistently making the finals. If you do that you accumulate finals experience and get more players picked in rep teams. It all helps with recruitment and retention vs the salary cap. Eventually you win enough finals in a row to jag a premiership.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
1 TA 3 TB 1 LB, 29 tackles with no misses and 10 runs for 111m , no sure we can expect much more from a 20 year old half, he is the least of our problems tonight ...... he would have had another TA if it wasn’t because of Paulo’s laziness .....
Yep, when the defence is working that hard (and coming from offside positions) you don't put them under pressure by forcing passes. You put them under pressure by holding the ball and getting to your kick. If you do that you soak up a lot of their effort. If you instead panic and throw risky passes and make errors you actually reward the opposition's effort. Just dumb play.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dylan Brown offers absolutely nothing as a half. Has not provided one line break assist all year. Everyone harps on about his running game but he has only produced 1 line break all year (tonight).He basically just takes hitups 2 off the ruck.

Superstar half. I said this last year. W.Smith offers more at this stage.

hindy111

Post Whore
We have gone into the season with a slug of a backline. It is to slow.
We have 4 wins. We struggled against the tigers and broncos. Best a depleted and decimated Sharks side and the Storm in torrential rain.

I will reserve judgement untill rnd 10. I said this earlier in the season. We will get a better gauge by then.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not a whinge about the referee, but the 6 agains probably should have flowed more freely.

We were our own worst enemies. Too much ball playing way before the line. Makes it easy for the defence.

Cartwright: lol.
Seriously, that should be it. He is basically a turnstile in defence who makes dumb plays. "But he is here on a lifeline and will change". If his very first outing involves weak defence and dumb plays, sorry, goodnight forever.

He was playing through the middle most of the game, and I suppose the idea is to have an offloading forward to spell Paulo. Waste of time giving Carty the minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.