What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not completely sold on Dearden yet. Probably needs a good run of games I guess but anyone who couldn’t get past Croft when Brisbane were utterly rubbish doesn’t fill me with confidence.
He only just turned 20. At the same age Thurston had only played seven NRL games (Dearden has 20+), Cronk was six months away from his debut and DCE was two years away from his. If the experience doesn't ruin Dearden it will all make him stronger.

Gazzamatta

Coach
He only just turned 20. At the same age Thurston had only played seven NRL games (Dearden has 20+), Cronk was six months away from his debut and DCE was two years away from his. If the experience doesn't ruin Dearden it will all make him stronger.
He looks likely. How Croft was ahead of him early is mind blowing but it's probably because Kevvie knew he was outta there.

blaza88z

Coach
Just reading some opinions here, I think the Titans will also be in the mix at some stage for a halfback.

Ash Taylor is on a million a year and he's been a flop, can't see them looking to offer him that again

Just reading some opinions here, I think the Titans will also be in the mix at some stage for a halfback.

Ash Taylor is on a million a year and he's been a flop, can't see them looking to offer him that again
The stats for this year and last suggest Fogarty is going better (FFS O'Neill!!). And he's probably on a quarter of Taylor's wage.

IFR33K

Coach
Boys take longer to mature that girls. Moses is 27 and it seems the penny has finally dropped. I guess at 19 and being paid $600k might have an effect. Everything about Drown will be better once he matures.

Is it a maturity thing thou? What kind of filth does what he did. I know I didn’t. The problem is some of these players are animals, that consume too much alcohol.

eels_fan

First Grade
If he is “forced” back to the negotiation table then we should be dropping the offer by $50k.

If you think the grass may be greener on the other side you don’t just get to mosey on back when you find it isn’t..

Incorrect

Coach
Is it a maturity thing thou? What kind of filth does what he did. I know I didn’t. The problem is some of these players are animals, that consume too much alcohol.
I do all my copulating in the bathroom as I'm never sure if I'm coming or going....

I'm here all week... try the veal!

Glenneel

Bench
I kinda agree with most of that. I remain keen to understand our recent "purchase good young talent" policy specifically those that have NRL experience or obviously destined too. Sharp has gone. Was he holding us back in this regard? I'd suggest it's more than MON who is identifying these players. Maybe Kidwell who possibly didn't have a voice prior. Maybe Sharps replacement who is obviously working studiously behind the scenes. Maybe the Recruitment/Retention team collectively. Whatever it is I, like you, am mightily impressed. As much as I agree MON is doing a good job, I think there are more involved with this obvious improvement than him. Then again it could well be that MON is working towards improving the personnel in those positions. Sarintinos could be a quietly spoken mover and shaker and maybe we are seeing the development of a strong board.
Its a very clever way to manage a salary cap. These players ARE out there. Lots hiding in the shadows of poor coaching, poor culture, lack of opportunity and poor development. Identification is the key and we now seem to be improving in that area. We can't only rely on our own juniors and high priced, ready made recruits. Change is good.
Whats really impressive is that these players, who are under contract, have all been released immediately.

Glenneel

Bench
Do you reckon Perham is faster than Waqa?
Probably not but I'm hoping he is a better player. From what I've seen of him he is quick without being elite but an improvement on Niukore as far as speed goes. Both current centres are good defensively but lack speed so Perham (and Peninisi probably next year) will improve that area. Just have to hope their defence is similar to current players.

Glenneel

Bench
100%, BA will have zero hesitation to play someone in reggies. Mannah is a perfect example. I just think that those two rookies have a long way to go before they are a better option than Waqa. Rock solid centres (like Jenkovic) are rare earth commodities and Waqu is nowhere near the bottom of the shit list of NRL centres. There are some shockers out there.
We have a new centre named Wagu? When did this happen?