What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hastings

Tigerm

First Grade
Normally I don’t like these two’s opinions but they do make some sense.

EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler back Jackson Hastings to shine with Wests Tigers
By Chris De Silva

League legend Andrew Johns has described Jackson Hastings as a “really good” individual, backing him to be a positive addition to the Wests Tigers squad.

After a three-year exile away from the NRL in the UK Super League, Hastings signed a two-year deal to return to Australia for the Wests Tigers.

Hastings left the NRL under controversial circumstances back in 2018, released from his contract with Manly after a falling out with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans and coach Trent Barrett.

Despite his acrimonious NRL exit, Johns recalled his positive experiences while working alongside Hastings when he was a teenager with the Roosters between 2014 and 2016.

“I found him to be a really good young guy,” he told Wide World of Sports’ Freddy and the Eighth.

"I remember when I’d go to training, I’d sometimes take my
little fella and he’d kick the footy around with him.

"He was very young coming in when he was at the Roosters and he was playing with some real strong and dominant players.

“He’s gone away and obviously matured. You’re a different person when you’re in your mid-20s to when you’re in your late teens, so I think he’ll go well.”

Fellow league great Brad Fittler also praised the Hastings signing, suggesting the halfback would give the Wests Tigers more of an on-field identity than they’ve had with Luke Brooks on the controls.

“What he will do is he’ll voice up. He’ll own where they are and where they’ve got to go on the field and he does that easy,” Fittler told Freddy and the Eighth.
"You can tell he’s a real student of the game. He knows when to kick, all that sort of stuff, which Brooks falls in and out of a lot.

"It might give them a bit more consistency in what they’re doing during a game. Sometimes at the end of the game, you’ll watch the Tigers and go, ‘What happened? What have they done?’, it’s very hard to know.

“When he plays, you become more aware of what he’s trying to do.”

BrotherJim05

Bench
I highly recommend listening to his interview on Bloke in a Bar podcast. I don't think he will slot straight into the 7 Jersey but f**k me he will light a fire under Brooks ass.

Tigerm

First Grade
I highly recommend listening to his interview on Bloke in a Bar podcast. I don't think he will slot straight into the 7 Jersey but f**k me he will light a fire under Brooks ass.
Agree, he doesn't come across as a bloke who wants to play second fiddle, will be interesting.
As for the board telling Brooks they are 100% behind him, that is generally something to be feared.

I want a half that doesn’t drift in and out of games and has some reasoning about his decision making,Brooks fails miserably in these areas.

Pezz70

Juniors
Hastings sort of reminded me a bit of Alfie Langer in the trials, looked slow but something he does gets defenders hanging off him a bit and lets him ball play. I think he’ll be alright

MasterTiger

Juniors
When we signed Hastings I was always of the believe his best position in NRL would be a ball playing lock. I am still convinced of this. But the key to Hastings playing lock is funnily enough Brookes. I have always supported Brookes whilst others {understandably} are positive he should move on. My opinion is now that Hastings is here and when Doueihi is back means Brookes team responsibility's are significantly reduced. Jahrome Hughes is maybe something Brookes can now base his game on because I think this is exactly the type of player Brookes is. He IS not and never will be a dominant/playmaking/ball playing halfback. But he is a very good individual player. If he can play and shape his game as I have suggested and perform reasonably means our spine could be very balanced. 1.Lawrie , 6.Doueihi , 7. Brookes 13.Hastings. The way the game is being played now I regard a ball playing lock has essential and a big part of a balanced spine UNLESS you have a very dominant half such as Cleary in your team which very very few teams have.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Hastings is a halfback. I know that throws a spanner in our works but he looks like an out and out, dominant, game managing halfback.