What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

NRL expansions has been so backwards that we're still discussing putting teams in Qld.

Sometimes i wish Super League won the war.
I agree. The Sydney-centric approach by the ARLC is making the game boring and geographically limited. I'm enjoying the Queensland Cup more than the NRL these days. The Burleigh vs PNG game on 9Now was a beauty, with Burleigh down to 13 men by halftime and 12 mid-way through the 2nd half but still managing to secure the win in the last minute. Compare that to the 2 afternoon NRL games between 4 Sydney teams that were blow-outs. Glad I chose the QRL game.

Nerd

Bench
It's better to watch it on TV, so most of their fans do that. You'll see plenty of people walking around in Broncos gear all through Logan and southern Brisbane, but most don't bother to attend the games for one reason or the other. What I am saying is they have 35k fans who prefer to watch the game at Lang Park, but there are hundreds ot thousands who would rather go to the pub or bring a mate around to watch it on TV while they have a piss up. Tradies who are buggered after a hard day of work would rather watch the game while knocking back a few cans of piss, then going to bed so they can wake up early the next morning. I find most Broncos fans who go to Lang Park are retirees or have an office job.
You hit the nail on the head. I've been a Bronco's fan and member since 88 and on average would attend only 1-2 games a year. Much better on TV and with most games being Thursday or Friday nights and me living in the Moreton Bay area making it a bit of a chore to get to these games. Everyone complains about the Broncos getting Friday night games but I and many other fans would prefer Saturday night or Sunday games but can't see the broadcasters letting that happen at least till a second side comes in.

MugaB

Coach
You hit the nail on the head. I've been a Bronco's fan and member since 88 and on average would attend only 1-2 games a year. Much better on TV and with most games being Thursday or Friday nights and me living in the Moreton Bay area making it a bit of a chore to get to these games. Everyone complains about the Broncos getting Friday night games but I and many other fans would prefer Saturday night or Sunday games but can't see the broadcasters letting that happen at least till a second side comes in.
Then it's Thursday and Friday only not just one or the other, its channel 9 remember????

blaza88z

Coach
This new Brisbane team will be the Titans v2.0

Buy a real hot team right off the whack, probably get a good coach.. but once that dies off, you are left with a club with no real fan base, do you guys think Brisbane fans will just jump to the 2nd team? They'll probably support both of them.

Buy a real hot team right off the whack, probably get a good coach.. but once that dies off, you are left with a club with no real fan base, do you guys think Brisbane fans will just jump to the 2nd team? They'll probably support both of them.
If they regularly finish ahead of the Donkeys, which won't be hard given the state they're in, then I know who the kids from Brisbane will get behind.

Travitoh

First Grade

Difference between Titans and now is the Broncos aren't the powerhouse they once were. If the second Brisbane side can hit the ground running, they'll be a genuine competitior in the market

Perth Red

Post Whore
Difference between Titans and now is the Broncos aren't the powerhouse they once were. If the second Brisbane side can hit the ground running, they'll be a genuine competitior in the market

That suggests some broncos fans will switch to the new club? I thought the idea was not to cannabilise the broncos supporter base but to engage RL fans in Brisbane who aren’t currently Broncos fans?

Hartwood

Juniors
That suggests some broncos fans will switch to the new club? I thought the idea was not to cannabilise the broncos supporter base but to engage RL fans in Brisbane who aren’t currently Broncos fans?
As if v'landys actually cares about that, the NRL just want a game a week at Suncorp and more qlders watching FTA games

blaza88z

Coach

Believe me when I say this, half the people pushing for a 2nd Brisbane team are the same people who watched us dominate for about 20 years, they absolutely want the Broncos to crash and burn

It's not really about expansion, it's about demolition

jim_57

Staff member

Getting people to switch over in droves isn't realistic for any expansion team really, not many adults will change their team.

I'd say the Titans are a good comparison actually. They would have gotten a few adults to switch across at the start sure, but the key is now that for the last 14 years the majority of kids growing up on the Gold Coast & Tweed will be Titans fans. I wouldn't be surprised at all if with a bit of success in the next 5 years Titans are back in the top 2-4 for crowds.

MugaB

Coach
Getting people to switch over in droves isn't realistic for any expansion team really, not many adults will change their team.

I'd say the Titans are a good comparison actually. They would have gotten a few adults to switch across at the start sure, but the key is now that for the last 14 years the majority of kids growing up on the Gold Coast & Tweed will be Titans fans. I wouldn't be surprised at all if with a bit of success in the next 5 years Titans are back in the top 2-4 for crowds.
Depends on how much of a Brisbane Broncos fan you are, if casual or just like certain players, of this new team gets wayne bennett and Adam Reynolds, Cameron Munster, Kurt Capewell, Josh Maguire etc, some key signings and a well known coach, people might jump on board, i was a fan of both the warriors and reds wgen they started coz of Brandy, Phil Blake, Brad Mackay, Matt Rodwell and MG.
Obviously not my teams, but i was interested enough to tune in, overtime those teams were still favorites for me and hoped theyd do well, but yes converting to those teams would be hard as i was already a Penrith supporter, i think it depends on whether your a die hard bronx supporter or not

Santino Patane

Juniors
Y
Believe me when I say this, half the people pushing for a 2nd Brisbane team are the same people who watched us dominate for about 20 years, they absolutely want the Broncos to crash and burn

You’re absolutely correct on who wants a second Brisbane team, it’s the large numbers of fans in Brisbane that don’t want to support the Broncos, hence why there’s an appetite for the team. But it’s not all about demolition too mate.

Being a former Broncos fan (now a Titans fan) it’s more about better servicing Queensland’s RL community. A second Brisbane team means more RL games without having to jump on a plane to go. It means more options for local talent to not have to leave home. It means strengthening the QLD Cup more.

The only real demolition that has gone on is the Broncos successful insistence on being the only horse in town for over 30 years.

I do think the world would be better if the Broncos were thrown out and replaced with 2 or 3 BRL clubs. It's not going to happen, but that's what I would like to see and would be extremely proud if it were to happen. As a Queenslander who takes pride in the history of this great state and its RL culture, I believe the Broncos are an insult to everything the BRL stood for and make a mockery of the warriors who played for the BRL clubs from 1909 until 1987.

To me, the Broncos are a NSWRL created abomination designed to piss on the proud history of the BRL because the sooks down south couldn't stand it that the little league from Brisbane that had less money and resources was producing the country's best players and dominated Origin throughout the 80s. Combined Brisbane went to Sydney and beat all of their teams. That was the final insult for the NSWRL and they decided to never let it happen again, so they killed the league.

MugaB

Coach
I do think the world would be better if the Broncos were thrown out and replaced with 2 or 3 BRL clubs. It's not going to happen, but that's what I would like to see and would be extremely proud if it were to happen. As a Queenslander who takes pride in the history of this great state and its RL culture, I believe the Broncos are an insult to everything the BRL stood for and make a mockery of the warriors who played for the BRL clubs from 1909 until 1987.

To me, the Broncos are a NSWRL created abomination designed to piss on the proud history of the BRL because the sooks down south couldn't stand it that the little league from Brisbane that had less money and resources was producing the country's best players and dominated Origin throughout the 80s. Combined Brisbane went to Sydney and beat all of their teams. That was the final insult for the NSWRL and they decided to never let it happen again, so they killed the league.
Utter bullshit, but personally id much prefer a BRL team getting a promotion to the NRL, than some weird new franchise with bugger all roots, like the bombers bid seemed to be, im glad they've joined the ipswich jets (western coridor) just need to adopt their colors

blaza88z

Coach
I'm not sure Ipswich is the right location for a new Brisbane team, it's as far out of Brisbane as the Gold Coast is, besides.. anyone who lives in Brisbane will tell you Ipswich is a complete cesspit of a place to live

I agree though, it should be a club that is already developed with a grassroots following. Rather than some cool new franchise that nobody really has any ties with

MugaB

Coach
I'm not sure Ipswich is the right location for a new Brisbane team, it's as far out of Brisbane as the Gold Coast is, besides.. anyone who lives in Brisbane will tell you Ipswich is a complete cesspit of a place to live

I agree though, it should be a club that is already developed with a grassroots following. Rather than some cool new franchise that nobody really has any ties with
Well as far as the three bids for SEQ, i'm backing the Dolphins, over the other two bids, i just feel its a better location being north and can grow further north without taking from bronx or titans

flippikat

Bench

Well that's not really an issue now that the Bombers bid (the only one devoid of formal links to an existing club) merged with the Jets bid.

The 3 remaining bids have roots in Qld Cup clubs (Ipswich, Easts, Redcliffe) - so the debate has become all about which club/branding/location is the most polarizing.. and whether that's a desirable thing or not.