What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

It would make more sense to redevelop QEII Stadium into a 30,000 seat rectangular stadium. There are plenty of clubs that would use it. Roar, Reds and Brisbane 2 would play games there.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just calling a spade a spade.

I've traveled across Brisbane extensively, and there's no way in hell that a person could travel from Redcliffe or Ipswich to Suncorp in an hour or less on an average weekday night in peak hour.

Add to that that the majority of potential attendees would ideally like to get home from work before going to the game, and other commitments like picking kids up, and you'll be pushing shit up hill to get even half the potential attendance to show after the novelty period wears off.

Also the congestion in Brisbane has been getting significantly worse over the years, so it seems almost inevitable that travel times will get worse, not better.

It's not an assumption, it's a pattern of observed behaviour in humans.

Brisbane isn't some magical land where humans haven't evolved in-group/out-group preference and tribal politics doesn't exist. So you guys are going to face those pressures just like everybody else does, and if you don't accept that fact it's going to bite you firmly on the arse.

It isn't calling a spade a spade, it is just being a dick when we are having a simple discussion / disagreement about expansion in the NRL.

A direct train from Redcliffe takes an hour and a direct train from Ipswich takes about 45 mins.

I guess your travel to a city that you don't live in trumps the experiences of myself and others that have always lived here then... case settled - very compelling evidence.

It has nothing to do with the people of Brisbane evolving differently and has everything to do with habit and the fact is that if you want to see NRL level RL in Brisbane you have to travel to Suncorp Stadium and there are people that live in Redcliffe and Ipswich that already have to do that.

In terms of people outside of Redcliffe and / or Ipswich not following the Brisbane Dolphins and or Brisbane Jets playing out of Suncorp Stadium in the heart of Brisbane - why the hell wouldn't they? @Get Rid of The Donkeys and I are two on here that live in the Greater Brisbane Region that would support either bid. GROTD already follow the Cowboys and Wynnum and I don't have a club but I will certainly go to games of either team because I love the game. Sure, it's an extremely small sample size but we aren't the only ones in the city. There are certainly not the level of barriers to supporting either bid that you think there is for the general public and especially the next generation of kids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It isn't calling a spade a spade, it is just being a dick when we are having a simple discussion / disagreement about expansion in the NRL.

A direct train from Redcliffe takes an hour and a direct train from Ipswich takes about 45 mins.

I guess your travel to a city that you don't live in trumps the experiences of myself and others that have always lived here then... case settled - very compelling evidence.

It has nothing to do with the people of Brisbane evolving differently and has everything to do with habit and the fact is that if you want to see NRL level RL in Brisbane you have to travel to Suncorp Stadium and there are people that live in Redcliffe and Ipswich that already have to do that.

In terms of people outside of Redcliffe and / or Ipswich not following the Brisbane Dolphins and or Brisbane Jets playing out of Suncorp Stadium in the heart of Brisbane - why the hell wouldn't they? @Get Rid of The Donkeys and I are two on here that live in the Greater Brisbane Region that would support either bid. GROTD already follow the Cowboys and Wynnum and I don't have a club but I will certainly go to games of either team because I love the game. Sure, it's an extremely small sample size but we aren't the only ones in the city. There are certainly not the level of barriers to supporting either bid that you think there is for the general public and especially the next generation of kids.

Kippa ring station to Milton station is an hour. Then factor in getting from your house to the station and walking from Milton to Suncorp. Fair to say its going to be 90mins at least for most people living in redcliffe area. If there are thousands doing this on a Thursday or Friday night for most games then hats off to them. An evening 3 hour round trip to watch 90mins of footy is some level of commitment!

Reality is any new club has to be able to draw 20k plus from within a 45min travel of Suncorp as that is where majority of fans will come from who will attend regularly. especially given the club is likely to get stuck with Thursday or friday night games if they are popular. Should be very doable if RL is as popular in Brisbane as we all think it is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The seats can be reused. The old grandstands are 40 years old and shit, so it's time to knock the bastards down, get rid of the running track and make it a rectangular stadium.

lol, no they can’t, and plastic seats are t large part of the cost of a new stadium! Brisbane doesn’t need another stadium 14kms from Suncorp!

Santino Patane

Juniors
Kippa ring station to Milton station is an hour. Then factor in getting from your house to the station and walking from Milton to Suncorp. Fair to say its going to be 90mins at least for most people living in redcliffe area. If there are thousands doing this on a Thursday or Friday night for most games then hats off to them. An evening 3 hour round trip to watch 90mins of footy is some level of commitment!

Reality is any new club has to be able to draw 20k plus from within a 45min travel of Suncorp as that is where majority of fans will come from who will attend regularly. especially given the club is likely to get stuck with Thursday or friday night games if they are popular. Should be very doable if RL is as popular in Brisbane as we all think it is.
As I’ve said a fair few times before, QR do direct trains too from Petrie to the city, making it about 1/2hr trip. So if you get the right train, you can half the time.

Pippen94

First Grade
99k in brisbane watching one of biggest brands in NRL last night. We need more Brisbane teams stat.

Hartwood

Juniors
lol, no they can’t, and plastic seats are t large part of the cost of a new stadium! Brisbane doesn’t need another stadium 14kms from Suncorp!
A 30k seat stadium would be quite good for Brisbane, roar have to play out of Redcliffe and the reds can't be bothered upgrading their trash heap of a stadium, neither get good enough crowds to justify playing at lang park. a new stadium with 3 permanent tenants would definitely make its moneys worth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roar are playing at Redcliffe as it’s cheap, a 30k govt stadium isn’t going to be cheap to play at. Reds moving and Brisbane2 there just means less tenants at Suncorp so less money for govt to cover Suncorp upkeep. They aren’t spending $300mill to take two tenants out of their existing stadium lol

Roar are playing at Redcliffe as it’s cheap, a 30k govt stadium isn’t going to be cheap to play at. Reds moving and Brisbane2 there just means less tenants at Suncorp so less money for govt to cover Suncorp upkeep. They aren’t spending $300mill to take two tenants out of their existing stadium lol
PVL could entice the QLD Gov to build one by providing exclusive events to Queensland, such as Test matches, 2 Origins a year, final of the "Non-Sydney Conference" if that idea is given the go ahead.

If Sydneysiders are going to say that the GF has to be held there every year because of tradition then Origin should play 2 games out of Lang Park every year, as Queensland created Origin and Lang Park is where it was mostly played during the 80s. If they're going to say it'll be unfair then they've just explained why the NRL GF shouldn't be in Sydney every year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PVL could entice the QLD Gov to build one by providing exclusive events to Queensland, such as Test matches, 2 Origins a year, final of the "Non-Sydney Conference" if that idea is given the go ahead.

If Sydneysiders are going to say that the GF has to be held there every year because of tradition then Origin should play 2 games out of Lang Park every year, as Queensland created Origin and Lang Park is where it was mostly played during the 80s. If they're going to say it'll be unfair then they've just explained why the NRL GF shouldn't be in Sydney every year.

from a RL point of view what is the benefit of another stadium just down the road from Suncorp?

from a RL point of view what is the benefit of another stadium just down the road from Suncorp?
Nathan isn't in the CBD and doesn't have the congestion issues that plague Milton. Putting a ground here will give people from the southern end of town who only attend 2 or 3 games a year at Lang Park, due to tyranny of distance and the amount of time it takes to get there, an opportunity to attend 6 or 12 games. Having 2 teams playing out of Lang Park will not solve the problem of people who live in southern Logan, western Ipswich, Redlands and even the outer southern suburbs of Brisbane not being able to attend every game due to distance. Some people can, but those who work long hours and have kids will struggle to do it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nathan isn't in the CBD and doesn't have the congestion issues that plague Milton. Putting a ground here will give people from the southern end of town who only attend 2 or 3 games a year at Lang Park, due to tyranny of distance and the amount of time it takes to get there, an opportunity to attend 6 or 12 games. Having 2 teams playing out of Lang Park will not solve the problem of people who live in southern Logan, western Ipswich, Redlands and even the outer southern suburbs of Brisbane not being able to attend every game due to distance. Some people can, but those who work long hours and have kids will struggle to do it.

that’s really not justification to spend $300mill or for the nrl to concede a lot to get it. 35k go to games at Suncorp so it can’t be that hard to get there, or to go an extra 14kms from where a new stadium would be.

that’s really not justification to spend $300mill or for the nrl to concede a lot to get it. 35k go to games at Suncorp so it can’t be that hard to get there, or to go an extra 14kms from where a new stadium would be.
It'll create jobs for construction workers, which is something the QLD Gov can spin to their advantage. If it brings more events to Brisbane, which leads to more money from tourism, then it's a winner.

If it's cheaper to just create more high-speed rail links from every nook and cranny of Greater Brisbane to the CBD then it would make sense to just stick with Lang Park. I just cannot see that happening, and Brisbane's population is set to double over the next 30 years. Commuting times will get worse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It'll create jobs for construction workers, which is something the QLD Gov can spin to their advantage. If it brings more events to Brisbane, which leads to more money from tourism, then it's a winner.

If it's cheaper to just create more high-speed rail links from every nook and cranny of Greater Brisbane to the CBD then it would make sense to just stick with Lang Park. I just cannot see that happening, and Brisbane's population is set to double over the next 30 years. Commuting times will get worse.

Which is why if you’re going to invest that sort of money in a new stadium you wouldnt build it within a stones throw of an existing one. Long term you would hope that if Redcliffe or Ipswich get the next license that a 25k stadium in their region would eventually be built. If Firehawks get it suncorp will be fine and no need for another stadium.

Latest posts