What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

I'm not sure Ipswich is the right location for a new Brisbane team, it's as far out of Brisbane as the Gold Coast is, besides.. anyone who lives in Brisbane will tell you Ipswich is a complete cesspit of a place to live

I agree though, it should be a club that is already developed with a grassroots following. Rather than some cool new franchise that nobody really has any ties with
I went there a few years ago. The people were very rough and fat. It's a very dangerous place. The only time I felt uncomfortable at a football game was at North Ipswich Reserve. Whenever the Jets play at Kougari Oval against Wynnum their fans come along and stand behind the Arthur Lovell Stand and smoke. They don't appear to be too bright.

I call Ipswich, Shitswich.:p:p:cool:
Every time I go there I am scared to step out of my vehicle, it looks as bad as Woodridge

I don't like going to Woodridge or Logan Central. A few years ago I drove down Wembly Road and saw an old man carrying a big stick just in case he needed to defend himself from thugs. A bloke was executed in the parking lot of Logan Central Shopping Centre and the dumb cops left a gun on Wembley Rd, which ended up being stolen by one of the locals. Anything west of the motorway is best avoided.

Firehawks have the right idea. They're focusing on the affluent eastern suburbs of Logan and the south-east of Brisbane.

Last edited:
Woodridge is truly ghetto but to say Ipswich isn't safe is laughable lol
Have you ever been to Shitswich?

It is full of criminals and drunks. A few years ago there was a nutcase in Shitswich turning golf balls into bombs and littering them around the shitty, I mean city. One kid lost his hands when he picked one up and the dickhead who was making them accidentally dropped one into his lap and blew his nuts off.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Call me delusional then mate because you see it every Broncos home game, they don't come from just one corner of course (from all corners of the Greater Brisbane region) but RL pulls most of it's supporters from the outer suburbs and so they are used to travelling to Suncorp for NRL games.

The other thing is that you are making the mistake of assuming the Brisbane Jets or Brisbane Dolphins won't appeal to fans outside of Ipswich and Redcliffe and that's just not true.
You're worse than delusional, you've got a terrible case of confirmation bias.

As far as I know no such study exists, but I bet that if you did a comprehensive study of every Broncos fan that attends games in a season and how far they travel to get to Suncorp, you'd find that the vast majority of the fans whom attend more than a handful of games a season travel roughly an hour or less to get to and from games. Yes there is a minority that will travel further, but rarely, if ever, in Australian sport is there enough of that type of supporter to support a club.

That is the case for almost every club in the world (the exception that proves the rule being the Green Bay Packers), so if you aren't planning for the core of your active supporters to live very close to your home ground then you're almost certainly setting yourself up for failure.

flippikat

Bench
Unless we get lucky we're probably rooted if true.

All the worst decisions in human history have been made that way.

I fear that the Dolphins bid is the "anointed one", and as you say the NRL may be looking for a convincing argument to justify it.

While all 3 bids have firm roots in Qld Cup (formerly BRL) clubs, the Dolphins bid clearly appears to be the most at risk of becoming an enclave like Manly or Cronulla-Sutherland.

It might make sense as a 3rd Brisbane club, but it sure as hell doesn't as a 2nd.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I fear that the Dolphins bid is the "anointed one", and as you say the NRL may be looking for a convincing argument to justify it.
Which is crazy because Easts have all the benefits of the Dolphins bid but none of the negatives.

Sure we don't know much about the Jets bid now that they've merged, so maybe they bring more to the table then we think, but assuming that they don't the Firehawks are by far the best bid of the three options but for some reason they're being almost totally ignored by mainstream thought.

I also wish that the long rumoured other consortium/s would hurry the f**k up and step out of the shadows, if they actually exist at all. Things are starting to come to ahead, if they are going to be successful they need to get themselves into the running soon.

Which is crazy because Easts have all the benefits of the Dolphins bid but none of the negatives.

Sure we don't know much about the Jets bid now that they've merged, so maybe they bring more to the table then we think, but assuming that they don't the Firehawks are by far the best bid of the three options but for some reason they're being almost totally ignored by mainstream thought.

I also wish that the long rumoured other consortium/s would hurry the f**k up and step out of the shadows, if they actually exist at all. Things are starting to come to ahead, if they are going to be successful they need to get themselves into the running soon.
Firehawks do have the best bid of the bunch. Their mascot is uniquely Australian and will blend in with their colour scheme. Being based close to Lang Park, but on the south-east of the city, is a massive bonus that will help create a north vs south divide. They're also close to the Brisbane Lions, which will help eat into their corporate base and make them irrelevant.

flippikat

Bench

Overall, I think that the Easts bid is the best as far as a wide-appeal 2nd Brisbane club goes - HOWEVER I'm not sold on the branding. In their effort to move away from the parent club's identity (and avoid a brand collision with Wests Tigers), they've come up with something that seems almost as generic & "off the shelf" as the widely criticized Bombers bid brand.

The Jets bid intrigues me, but I need to see a bit more substance- particularly how their branding etc will differentiate themselves from the Qld Cup Ipswich club.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You're worse than delusional, you've got a terrible case of confirmation bias.

As far as I know no such study exists, but I bet that if you did a comprehensive study of every Broncos fan that attends games in a season and how far they travel to get to Suncorp, you'd find that the vast majority of the fans whom attend more than a handful of games a season travel roughly an hour or less to get to and from games. Yes there is a minority that will travel further, but rarely, if ever, in Australian sport is there enough of that type of supporter to support a club.

That is the case for almost every club in the world (the exception that proves the rule being the Green Bay Packers), so if you aren't planning for the core of your active supporters to live very close to your home ground then you're almost certainly setting yourself up for failure.

No need to be a rude prick mate.

On the topic we are discussing, that's exactly what I'm saying. People regularly travel up to an hour to get to NRL games in Brisbane (both Redcliffe and Ipswich are within an hour of Suncorp Stadium) and they are used to it so admitting the Dolphins and / or Jets won't be a problem. That is also assuming (which is an incorrect assumption) that those clubs will only draw fans from Redcliffe and / or Ipswich and only ever will do that in the future.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Got to hand it to V'landy's - credit where credit is due. He is waiting for a study to come in next month to show the viability of expansion and if the numbers stack up he's going to make it happen so that when he goes to the table to negotiate the new FTA TV deal starting in 2023, he has some extra value to sell.

Pretty much has done everything that you wouldn't expect of previous NRL administrations when it comes to expansion decisions and is getting out in front of the TV networks.

The queues for the Eight Mile Plains Bus pick-up area at Lang Park is always exceptionally long after games. Plenty of people from the outer south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane attend Lang Park and this is the target area for the Firehawks.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Overall, I think that the Easts bid is the best as far as a wide-appeal 2nd Brisbane club goes - HOWEVER I'm not sold on the branding. In their effort to move away from the parent club's identity (and avoid a brand collision with Wests Tigers), they've come up with something that seems almost as generic & "off the shelf" as the widely criticized Bombers bid brand.

The Jets bid intrigues me, but I need to see a bit more substance- particularly how their branding etc will differentiate themselves from the Qld Cup Ipswich club.

Wests Tigers should kick Balmain to link with Brisbane Easts and become Wests Magpies again. Can have 3 clubs in Brisbane.

Won't happen because Tigers is a valuable logo and sells lots of merchandise....so rugby league.

MugaB

Coach

You mean the Norths "Logan" Bears consortium with its rich affluent backers

The Great Dane

First Grade
No need to be a rude prick mate.
Just calling a spade a spade.
On the topic we are discussing, that's exactly what I'm saying. People regularly travel up to an hour to get to NRL games in Brisbane (both Redcliffe and Ipswich are within an hour of Suncorp Stadium) and they are used to it so admitting the Dolphins and / or Jets won't be a problem.
I've traveled across Brisbane extensively, and there's no way in hell that a person could travel from Redcliffe or Ipswich to Suncorp in an hour or less on an average weekday night in peak hour.

Add to that that the majority of potential attendees would ideally like to get home from work before going to the game, and other commitments like picking kids up, and you'll be pushing shit up hill to get even half the potential attendance to show after the novelty period wears off.

Also the congestion in Brisbane has been getting significantly worse over the years, so it seems almost inevitable that travel times will get worse, not better.
That is also assuming (which is an incorrect assumption) that those clubs will only draw fans from Redcliffe and / or Ipswich and only ever will do that in the future.
It's not an assumption, it's a pattern of observed behaviour in humans.

Brisbane isn't some magical land where humans haven't evolved in-group/out-group preference and tribal politics doesn't exist. So you guys are going to face those pressures just like everybody else does, and if you don't accept that fact it's going to bite you firmly on the arse.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Doesn't matter what they pick there'll always be people whom don't like it, so there's no point worrying about it. Besides most of the people I've seen that critise it do so for one of two reasons; A. they are ignorant and don't know what a firehawk is, B. it's not their ideal team's brand therefore it's bad.

Easts will probably be forced to change it anyway.

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane isn't some magical land where humans haven't evolved

Most work places ive seen in the CBD of brisvegas knock off early on a "game day" theres a really country town vibe there, i wouldn't be worried about the travel for folks who have tickets or memberships, as you'll find its not about the stadium distance as much as its the time of when your going..
If your working in the city, your not going home, your going to get a feed or a beer and then game.. the percentage of folks rushing home to come back is low, but its the locals you speak of that will be burdened by travelling via public transport, from either ipswich or redcliffe.... this 2nd team is a Brisbane team, it might have roots in redcliffe, or ipswich, but its a Suncorp stadium team, much like South Sydney, redfern isn't Homebush, but my mother inlaw lives in north parramatta, and follows the Rabbitohs, and not because they are based in redfern. This new team is Brisbane

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most work places ive seen in the CBD of brisvegas knock off early on a "game day" theres a really country town vibe there, i wouldn't be worried about the travel for folks who have tickets or memberships, as you'll find its not about the stadium distance as much as its the time of when your going..
If your working in the city, your not going home, your going to get a feed or a beer and then game.. the percentage of folks rushing home to come back is low, but its the locals you speak of that will be burdened by travelling via public transport, from either ipswich or redcliffe....
Not if you have kids or any other commitments...

You are basically restricting the club's market to young professionals, which is not casting a very wide net.
this 2nd team is a Brisbane team, it might have roots in redcliffe, or ipswich, but its a Suncorp stadium team, much like South Sydney, redfern isn't Homebush, but my mother inlaw lives in north parramatta, and follows the Rabbitohs, and not because they are based in redfern. This new team is Brisbane
South Sydney grew into a "Sydney" team because of demographic changes in their traditional home pushing the majority of their fan-base west. Russell Crowe probably had an influence as well if we are honest.

The clubs in Brisbane aren't going to have that luxury, not initially at least, and they won't become a "Brisbane" team just because they say they are a "Brisbane" team. They'll either have to wait for generational change for perceptions to change (the NRL can't afford that) or make changes to appeal to a broader audience for them to have any hope of being seen as a "Brisbane" team.