What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

nick87

Coach
I think we were very lucky to keep him on the field imo
i thought he was heading to the sin bin for sure.
Thompson sticking his fingers in Hodgson's eyes was probably considered a contributing factor and might have saved him

Pete Cash

Post Whore
For fans of the 8 teams that lost and those who watched other games:

Did you think any of these games were a contest, at all? Did you get any enjoyment out of the weekend?

I watched most of the games. I thought they were all pretty average games but i dont think the sin bin rule was the issue specifically.

There has been a handful of excellent games this year. Thought Melbourne V Penrith was an absolute cracker

but most of the games have been poor. I am struggling to stay engaged in the product at times. Like last night Penrith started smashing the Titans and I thought heck i might play mass effect instead

Das Hassler

Bench
When McGuire got penalised, my comment was that if anyone else was doing that tackle, there’s no penalty. Then when Sims got no penalty for a near identical movement, that confirmed it!

I hate seeing players get injured but as Ben Hunt said, it’s not f**king touch footy! Both defenders had ball runners wrapped around the waist and were trying to bring them down to the ground. There was no other movement that could be done. Ridiculous calls.

I'll disagree on Maguire...that guy is the biggest grub the game's had for 40 years...he could have just as easily tackled JAC around the legs but he went in full force with his body to buckle him over and after watching his antics over the last decade or so i'm convinced he instinctively goes in to injure them....so many times he gets up after a tackle..looks straight ahead and " accidently" treads on an ankle. I'm looking forward to the time a "real" so called enforcer out there has him looking for his teeth in the grass

Eelectrica

Referee
but most of the games have been poor. I am struggling to stay engaged in the product at times. Like last night Penrith started smashing the Titans and I thought heck i might play mass effect instead
That's exactly what I did at half time of the Titans and dragons games.
Didn't even bother opening up KAYO on my second monitor or laptop as I sometimes do.

NRL HQ has to understand it's not difficult to find other entertainment options

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
For mine the single worst incident of the weekend was Hodgson's deliberate chicken wing. No sin-bin for that...
I was astonished that Kaufusi didn't get 10 for his blatant high shot on Norman. at least he could have done the job properly and ensured a stint for the rest of the season for Normy.

dragon_around

Juniors
That's exactly what I did at half time of the Titans and dragons game.
Didn't even bother opening up KAYO on my second monitor or laptop as I sometimes do.

NRL HQ has to understand it's not difficult to find other entertainment options
Yep, when a player is sent what chance does the other team have of even being competitive?

Dragons were down two men (albeit one was correctly off). It's no longer a sport and it's unwatchable.

BennyV

Referee
I'll disagree on Maguire...that guy is the biggest grub the game's had for 40 years...he could have just as easily tackled JAC around the legs but he went in full force with his body to buckle him over and after watching his antics over the last decade or so i'm convinced he instinctively goes in to injure them....so many times he gets up after a tackle..looks straight ahead and " accidently" treads on an ankle. I'm looking forward to the time a "real" so called enforcer out there has him looking for his teeth in the grass
He couldn’t have gone for the legs, he’d either cop a boot to the face or not be able to wrap them properly. Going for the waist was absolutely to right play there and trying to pull him down with his weight is a pretty standard tactic. Used in almost every tackle.

Agree that he’s a grub, hence why I said that if anyone else makes that tackle (such as Sims later in the game) there isn’t a penalty. Can’t start penalising people for actions they aren’t doing, nor can we penalise them when other players get accidentally injured.

_Johnsy

Referee
Its pretty easy tbh, you can't touch the opposition players head. The tackler has a duty of care in the tackle. Not vicer versa.
Officials must have been having a snooze.

186528780_4313874858637336_991442900654292365_n.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
He couldn’t have gone for the legs, he’d either cop a boot to the face or not be able to wrap them properly. Going for the waist was absolutely to right play there and trying to pull him down with his weight is a pretty standard tactic. Used in almost every tackle.

Agree that he’s a grub, hence why I said that if anyone else makes that tackle (such as Sims later in the game) there isn’t a penalty. Can’t start penalising people for actions they aren’t doing, nor can we penalise them when other players get accidentally injured.
100% correct, if first contact is below the knee it is a cannonball tackle. What is he meant to do in that scenario. Let the attacking player continue to advance the ball?

Eelectrica

Referee
Yep, when a player is sent what chance does the other team have of even being competitive?

Dragons were down two men (albeit one was correctly off). It's no longer a sport and it's unwatchable.
I'd be happy if they adopted the NFL rule where if a player is ejected he takes no further part in the game but the team still has 11 players on the field for each play.

Granted the NFL is a bit different with how specialized everything is and much larger interchange roster.

Still in the NRL losing the player and reduced interchange is still a disadvantage, just not insurmountable

lockyno1

Post Whore
Loved watching every game actually enjoy them more than fat KFC Milford playing 5/8 for us!

This crackdown will be short term pain for long term gain

betcats

Referee
I have no problems with blatant high shots like Leota's last night being a sin bin, but some of them are plain accidents and should just be a penalty, the burr sin binning for example was terrible what is he supposed to do?

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd be happy if they adopted the NFL rule where if a player is ejected he takes no further part in the game but the team still has 11 players on the field for each play.

Granted the NFL is a bit different with how specialized everything is and much larger interchange roster.

Still in the NRL losing the player and reduced interchange is still a disadvantage, just not insurmountable

Every send off this weekend was blatant foul play. I’m sorry but why are the opposition not benefiting? Here’s an idea don’t commit blatant infringements

franklin2323

Immortal
For fans of the 8 teams that lost and those who watched other games:

Did you think any of these games were a contest, at all? Did you get any enjoyment out of the weekend?

Some games were until late in the game. I would give the round on ave 5/10 though

NRL is not that good atm. Too many lop sided games and very incompatible teams. With the new rules it seems the bottom team gets the sin bin so the score differential is higher. They need to even the teams up

Das Hassler

Bench

I can see how you're seeing it but in this case a legs tackle wouldn't have had to be a "cannonball"..as easily as he grabbed him around the waist and put his whole weight into his legs he could have also wrapped his legs up as most others so easily and safely do. I look for any opportunity to disagree with self described " old school" Gould but i completely agree with his condemnation of this rubbish....accidents and mistiming happens all the time but this bloke has just made cheap shot garbage his artform and wouldnt have given a shit if he put infinitely more talented JAC out for the season..it was only luck that he didn't. Anything can be defended but not intentional recklessness...agree to disagree on this one.

One of the few sensible things I heard over the weekend was fro the Channel 9 commentary team, post games, on Saturday night, and of all people from Billy Slater. He said at training, coaches are going to have to train players to aim lower when attempting to effect a tackle.

The era of aiming to wrap up the ball and hold up the player by the initial tackler may be on the way out, as it raise the margin for error of contacting the head.

Just read on WWOS on FB that the crackdown is on the advice of Lawyers .
Was from "The Mole" so it's a 50/50 chance it's true .

But I'd think it was ...the fear of a class action down the track which could break the NRL has driven this weekend's craziness .
I'd expect a few tweakings of the rule but I think it's here to stay .
I don't like it ...not many do.
As for solutions .
Maybe sign a waiver. ...you know you're playing a contact sport so head knocks will happen .

Other than that. Who knows

Latest posts