What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 v Sharks

My thoughts:

1. A team out of the eight and well out of form beat us at home. This is now the norm;

2. The skill level across the team is abysmal. I am talking about the basics, the under 9's stuff - like correctly playing the ball. A player who is unable to play the ball correctly is not qualified to play in the NRL;

3. Norman should never be selected in first grade again.

What irritates me the most is point 2 above. The park footy stuff they throw up is embarrassing. What the f#ck did Mary do with them for the last 7 years. I am not watching another St George game until they can perform at the most basic professional standard.

I don't think that is asking for much.

Straight Shooter

redv13

Bench
My thoughts:

1. A team out of the eight and well out of form beat us at home. This is now the norm;

2. The skill level across the team is abysmal. I am talking about the basics, the under 9's stuff - like correctly playing the ball. A player who is unable to play the ball correctly is not qualified to play in the NRL;

What irritates me the most is point 2 above. The park footy stuff they throw up is embarrassing. What the f#ck did Mary do with them for the last 7 years. I am not watching another St George game until they can perform at the most basic professional standard.

Straight Shooter
Love Kerr but f**k me he’s killing me this year with his hands and is the number 1 serial offender of shit play the balls in the nrl this year

Dragon David

First Grade
My thoughts:

Straight Shooter
Point 2. It is just amazing that our handling and ball skills are park footy stuff. Surely with all of the years of playing the game each player would have learned basic skills as a pre-requisite to being graded.

The offenders lack attention to detail and by making endless errors we are on the back foot more often than not and that is not the way to dominate a game.

Hook's training classes need to start with getting the guys doing the basic skills work every session.

Gareth67

First Grade
I recall that the great Australian Don Bradman as a child use to hit the cricket ball at home with a stump ( probably one that he borrowed with the very best of intentions , but never returned ) as his family could not afford a bat .

The point is , that it improved his batting skills so when he actually had a real bat in his hands he was and became the world’s very best batsman ever - 99.99% average of memory serves me correct .

Our boys do lack the basic handling skills as Objective View and Dragon David have said , along with many other members in the past . Perhaps if they were issued with heavy duty gloves of some type at training , that would make the passing and catching of a ball so much harder ?

Take the gloves off and their handling skills would had improved dramatically - merely an idea . But they must do something about this very basic element of the game , any idea is worth trying to improve their handling .

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I recall that the great Australian Don Bradman as a child use to hit the cricket ball at home with a stump ( probably one that he borrowed with the very best of intentions , but never returned ) as his family could not afford a bat .

The point is , that it improved his batting skills so when he actually had a real bat in his hands he was and became the world’s very best batsman ever - 99.99% average of memory server me correct .

Our boys do lack the basic handling skills as Objective View and Dragon David have said , along with many other members in the past . Perhaps if they were issued with heavy duty gloves of some type at training , that would make the passing and catching of a ball so much harder ?

Take the gloves off and their handling skills would had improved dramatically - merely an idea . But they must do something about this very basic element of the game , any idea is worth trying to improve their handling .
So much emphasis on Athletic development that often the footballing skill development become secondary. Give me a footballer any day!

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting the critical comments re Kerr and his hands.

Many great backrowers (no I'm not putting Kerr in that category) had bad hands and a bit of dropsy
Dick Huddart
Elton Rassmussen
Bob Mc Carthy
Barry Beath
Graham Wynn
John Jansen
Scott Gourley
all suffered from it and no doubt others can be added to the list and TBH it is bit of a curse for those that run holes and try to burst through the line.

If people are truly honest and look at the pressure wide running forwards are under today with the different tackling styles that have been introduced and constant going for the ball by defenders the above mentioned players may have never achieved what they did as they were all from the period where leg tackles dominated.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I can only hope that Corey Norman has an ice-pack on the exit-pore of his posterior , after Griffin kicked him into next week for not taking the shot at field goal . :thinking:

Norman fails on so many fronts- has no pace so always looking to offload when he moved to full-back, wrong options, poor execution under pressure with his field goals. I felt so sorry for Ben Hunt- his partner is no support to him. I'd be kicking Hook as well if Norman's offered another contract.

Illusion

Bench
So much emphasis on Athletic development that often the footballing skill development become secondary. Give me a footballer any day!
Agree but the way the game is going non scrum events, 6 again roll ons , change of tackling and the list continues ..... The smart footballers in each team will be limited ...... The big athletic player that can run 100 in good time , that is great in the air , stamina to play long minutes ...... then the lightening fast little players around the ruck ..... Bingo the game has changed and will continue to .... So the game that some here , and have played will be a memory ...... Thats just my take on it ....

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
A friend was behind the goalposts last night & clearly heard Bird getting stuck into Norman.
....& the abuse was reciprocated.

No love lost there.

Norman is a canker on the team & he’ll cost Hook any chance of an extension

... & the fu/cker never gets injured
Never gets injured, because he doesn't participate In the game. He's out there but, he's trying to hide.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If we have to make some changes to the backline, here are the stats for some contenders from yesterdays KOE Cup game:

Sloan: played wing
Tries: 0
Runs: 7
Run Metres: 94
PCM: 26
LB: 0
LBA: 0
TA: 0
TB: 0
Offloads: 1
Tackle Efficiency: 50%
Kicks: 2
Grubbers: 2
Errors: 1
Handling errors: 1

Schiller: played centre
Tries: 1
Runs: 8
Run Metres: 69
PCM: 17
LB: 1
LBA: 2
TA: 2
TB: 4
Offloads: 0
Tackle Efficiency: 100%
Kicks: 1
Grubbers: 1
Errors: 1
Handling errors: 1

SSE: played centre
Tries: 0
Runs: 10
Run Metres: 100
PCM: 42
LB: 0
LBA: 0
TA: 0
TB: 1
Offloads: 0
Tackle Efficiency: 77.8%
Kicks: 0
Grubbers: 0
Errors: 0
Handling errors: 0

Interesting choice to make if we had to. I have a feeling though that Beale will get the nod in any case, but he didn't play reggies yesterday and hasn't played a game for several weeks now.

Dragon David

First Grade
Norman fails on so many fronts- has no pace so always looking to offload when he moved to full-back, wrong options, poor execution under pressure with his field goals. I felt so sorry for Ben Hunt- his partner is no support to him. I'd be kicking Hook as well if Norman's offered another contract.
If Hook arranges a new contract for Norman, then he will become Mary Mk2. No way should this happen.

If Hook cannot see Norman's poor performances throughout his entire time at the Dragons, he should get his eyes checked at Specsavers.

If Norman's contract is renewed, then our problems will continue and stuff up the progress of the good up and comers we currently have.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes r&w4evr , the mans lack of timing is as off as is my 100 - odd year old clock I have on my sideboard at home .

I thought that the reason that Griffo had not hooked him by now was that we needed someone to kick goals , but that has proven to be a fallacy .

His decision making is just awful , but in saying all of that , I thought that his 1st half was not too bad , however it all collapsed on him when the team really needed him to step up and nail a win with a field goal - it was not to be .

We have Clune and Amone who both know how to guide the team around the park , either one would undoubtedly be a far better option than what we have persevered with for far too long now .

There are really no more excuses for the coach not to make the change that is required ,
hopefully there shall be some good news on that front when the team list is announced on Tuesday .

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’ve been thinking about this since Friday, no doubt Norman cost us the game, 2 missed conversations, 2 missed field goals plus the limp pass to an unmarked JP in the first half.

But at the end of the day we as senior fans are aware of Norman’s short comings so the senior playing group & coach must also be aware. If so, then why give Norman the chance to ice the game?

I’m coming to the opinion that Hunt should have stood up & taken the field goal shot himself.

I think it’s easy to use Norman as a scape goat but there’s a bigger issue. It’s time the team moves on from Norman & stop blaming him. I know we’re skinny on troops but it’s time to drop Norman. If fit Sullivan is an option, Clune can play 5/8, when Ravalawa comes back Amone can easily play 5/8.

It’ comes down to this, if we’re a better chance of winning without Norman in the team then why keep picking him when there are viable alternatives?

Next week;

1) Ramsey
2) JP
3) Bird
4) Amone
5) Max
6) Clune
7) Hunt
17) Norman

Longer term;

1) Ramsey/Dufty
2) Mat/Ramsey/Max
3) Max/Ramsey/Bird
4) Lomax
5) Ravalawa
6) Bird/Sullivan/Amone
7) Hunt
21) Norman

Our season is hanging by a thread, if we don’t win the next 3 or 4 games then it’ll be all over in 2021. To win the next 3 or 4 games things have to change.

Como Connection

First Grade
Don't forget
I’ve been thinking about this since Friday, no doubt Norman cost us the game, 2 missed conversations, 2 missed field goals plus the limp pass to an unmarked JP in the first half.

But at the end of the day we as senior fans are aware of Norman’s short comings so the senior playing group & coach must also be aware. If so, then why give Norman the chance to ice the game?

I’m coming to the opinion that Hunt should have stood up & taken the field goal shot himself.

I think it’s easy to use Norman as a scape goat but there’s a bigger issue. It’s time the team moves on from Norman & stop blaming him. I know we’re skinny on troops but it’s time to drop Norman. If fit Sullivan is an option, Clune can play 5/8, when Ravalawa comes back Amone can easily play 5/8.

It’ comes down to this, if we’re a better chance of winning without Norman in the team then why keep picking him when there are viable alternatives?

Next week;

1) Ramsey
2) JP
3) Bird
4) Amone
5) Max
6) Clune
7) Hunt
17) Norman

Longer term;

1) Ramsey/Dufty
2) Mat/Ramsey/Max
3) Max/Ramsey/Bird
4) Lomax
5) Ravalawa
6) Bird/Sullivan/Amone
7) Hunt
21) Norman

Our season is hanging by a thread, if we don’t win the next 3 or 4 games then it’ll be all over in 2021. To win the next 3 or 4 games things have to change.[/QUOTE
Don't forget the forward pass to Billy in the hole!
CC

redv13

Bench

Next week;

1) Ramsey
2) JP
3) Bird
4) Amone
5) Max
6) Clune
7) Hunt
17) Norman

Longer term;

1) Ramsey/Dufty
2) Mat/Ramsey/Max
3) Max/Ramsey/Bird
4) Lomax
5) Ravalawa
6) Bird/Sullivan/Amone
7) Hunt
21) Norman

Our season is hanging by a thread, if we don’t win the next 3 or 4 games then it’ll be all over in 2021. To win the next 3 or 4 games things have to change.
I’m not a huge fan of Norman but his pass to an unmarked JP was not an issue. Can’t blame Him for that one, JP f**ked that one himself

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m not a huge fan of Norman but his pass to an unmarked JP was not an issue. Can’t blame Him for that one, JP f**ked that one himself
Ok, you can give Norman a pass if you want, JP is a rubbish winger no doubt about that, all the more reason why Norman should have put the pass on his chest. But I stand by everything I said, meanwhile Manly pumped Parra today so we are 7th but tied for 9th. We’re in a soft spot in the draw with our season hanging by a thread. If Norman isn’t dropped out of the starting side this week no way we beat the Tigers then our season is gone.

Crush

Coach
Ok, you can give Norman a pass if you want, JP is a rubbish winger no doubt about that, all the more reason why Norman should have put the pass on his chest. But I stand by everything I said, meanwhile Manly pumped Parra today so we are 7th but tied for 9th. We’re in a soft spot in the draw with our season hanging by a thread. If Norman isn’t dropped out of the starting side this week no way we beat the Tigers then our season is gone.
Hook loves Norman, nothing but praise so far this year. I highly doubt he’ll drop him.