What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday: Rnd 12 vs Bunnies

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
except for Jnr Paulo
The team needs his attack and he needs the other middle defenders to cover for him in defence. How is that so hard to understand? Junior Paulo is my favourite player you f**ken nitwit. Don't pretend I'm trying to blame him for the loss. I use him as an example of how even our 'best' players have weaknesses.

It's a team game. Maybe you need to be reminded of this point (from 2 minutes): Brad Arthur Press Conference - Round 11 - Eels (parraeels.com.au)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You already did, he was your scapegoat for the other forwards being too gassed to defend out wide

cant take it back merkin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You already did, he was your scapegoat for the other forwards being too gassed to defend out wide

cant take it back merkin
Pointing out his shortfalls isn't blaming him for the loss. I'm not calling for him or anyone else to get dropped. That's the difference.

IFR33K

Coach
Pointing out his shortfalls isn't blaming him for the loss. I'm not calling for him or anyone else to get dropped. That's the difference.

If you’re going to pinpoint a particular player in a particular position for a team, can you at least make sure, that particular player is the weakest amongst his teammates. Looking at the tackling stats, Paulo’s stats (tackle efficiency) read better than both RCG and Nrown.

And if any of us are really going to take your theory seriously about compressing so much to allow for Paulo, do we compress less when Paulo is off the field? Or does waqa defend better with Paulo off the field

hindy111

Post Whore
Pretty sure I said it's a team game. I'm not one to look for scapegoats.

Overlaps start when the markers get back slowly. A lot of time its the 3rd man coming in late. He runs back and if not in the line the hooker is able to get out a little wider and it begins. Jnr is slow to get back. Kafusi was last season but has improved this year. Greig is hopeless. Guys also getting tangled in play the ball creates the space.
Panthers are soo good cause all there forwards move fast. The defensive l ine is always set and moving forward on you in one straight line. Storm is the same.
As soon as the line becomes out of sync you have gaps and space. Better to hold your line as one and give away 3 orm4 meters then having guys move up at different times. That also give gaps and space and puts people in one on one situations.
I've always though a defense that would work is the guys who are further away from the ball being played to move up slightly faster. So as you go wider your defender is maybe half a meter infront of the next guy. By the time the attack spreads the ball they'd be shut down very fast. No real need to do this when oppositions are doing simple hit up carries.

hindy111

Post Whore
Storm are so successfully cause there timing is all in sync. They do not have a far superior squad then anyone. It is just all the timing is perfect. The line moves as one and rarely is there space. And when there is they just fake an injury or give away a penalty and chat to the reff while re set it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you’re going to pinpoint a particular player in a particular position for a team, can you at least make sure, that particular player is the weakest amongst his teammates. Looking at the tackling stats, Paulo’s stats (tackle efficiency) read better than both RCG and Nrown.
Tackle efficiency hides the situation where players only attempt high percentage tackles. Like when Niukore played centre this year.

A key defensive stat (not recorded, so you have to compile it yourself) is tackles per minute. It reflects defensive work rate; all the little one percenters that contribute to a strong defence. Paulo's work rate is very low for a middle forward. One of the lowest in the game, in fact. Of course he smashes merkins when they end up in front of him, but he doesn't go looking for work, he's not good at filling space or helping get numbers in the tackle. But we play him for long minutes because he is so important to out attack, especially inside the red zone.
And if any of us are really going to take your theory seriously about compressing so much to allow for Paulo, do we compress less when Paulo is off the field? Or does waqa defend better with Paulo off the field
I don't see why we would play a different structure while Paulo is off the field. As for our results during that time, if you thought about it before asking dumb questions you might realise there are plenty of other changes that occur while Paulo is off the field, including other players that we are likely to be missing at the same time (RCG, Nrown) as well as some of the opposition's starting middles or even their dummy half having a rest.

hindy111

Post Whore
I also think it's silly to suggest NRL coaches are far better tactics amd knowledge wise then some of us guys. I reckon plenty of coaches have different ideas of what works and many do not see faults in their own coaching styles. We all will see the game differently.
Like plenty disagree with me. I've said this for 10yrs. You need one very fast winger and a 2nd rower who can bust the line.
It opens up your backline spreads so much. Look at Kikau. He doesn't even have to touch the ball and the opposition defense become nervous and out of sync. This is what these style of players do. Same goes for a fast winger. He keeps people on there toes. Scares sides. I reckon JAC and Jonston are great examples.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I also think it's silly to suggest NRL coaches are far better tactics amd knowledge wise then some of us guys. I reckon plenty of coaches have different ideas of what works and many do not see faults in their own coaching styles. We all will see the game differently.
It's not about whether their coaching decisions are right or wrong, it's about probability and risk. Every decision they make could go either way. It's about getting more successes than failures over a given timeline. If something goes wrong it's not that the coach didn't know it could go wrong. The alternative decisions also could've failed, maybe worse. And after the fact smartarse fans with no skin in the game pretend they know better.

Latest posts