What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday: Rnd 13 vs Knights

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also think Ryan Matterson has been a let down. Does absolutely nothing. He’s got the skill but doesn’t get involved.
He was playing better at the Tigers.
His involvement is high and he is very effective. He just doesn't stand out. You're right that he was better at the Tigers but his statistically best year was last year. This year his form is down but he is still very effective.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Also think Ryan Matterson has been a let down. Does absolutely nothing. He’s got the skill but doesn’t get involved.

Yep matto has been disappointing especially defensively. He should have been playing origin by now. Maybe i had higher expectations.

But imo he hasn't taken his game to the next level like i thought he would.

yy_cheng

Coach
Also matto has more stars in this team so he doesn't need to do so much

Sam Walker has to take the reigns cos there none else

Ja, doesn't and probably instructed not to, because we have Moses and gutho

So matto didn't stand out in the same manner

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
1. It might somewhat weaken our middle rotation, but our forwards are going fine without Marata.
2.. Anthony Milford is ridiculously talented and has untapped potential. So has Ash Taylor. So do many players. Means bugger all. How long do you wait, and how many losses are you prepared to suffer while waiting for him to show his 'potential'?
3. If Marata prefers middle, he can play there - next year, when we address the right centre problem.
4. I've never understood (and never will) the idea of playing someone in first grade just because of the money they are on. Waqa big money in reserve grade = waste of money; but at the same time Papalii in first grade on small money = bonus. What you lose on the Ferris wheel ……
5. Marata hasn't been heavily targeted? Is that really a logical reason to replace him with someone (Waqa) who has failed every test put to him so far - just because he's supposed to be a 'highly talented' centre, and Marata is supposed to be a forward?
6. I think I got my numbers mixed up.

I was asked about the reluctance for Marata to be played in the centres. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I was just pointing out the reasoning behind it.

I’d be giving him up until the end of the Origin period. If he couldn’t replicate the successes of Marata in the early season, I would revert to him in preparation of the finals. The next three matches are very winnable and offer leeway for a return to fitness and form. Penrith would then be the test.

I’m not reading into the Manly game. He was gravely underdone and defending next to someone quite clearly not ready for the role. Last year is last year.

Last edited:

chiefy1

Juniors
Simple. Waqa has failed every test put to him so far. Also, my understanding is that Marata played a decent amount of centre as a junior - so he's not exactly naïve to the position.

Don't be surprised if he plays reserve grade this weekend

hindy111

Post Whore

I agree. Unsure what Elelmenentary see in him. He has ok PCM but rarely looks like busting the line. Rarely uses his offload or ball skills. Ok defender but then again it is his side that's being torn apart.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep matto has been disappointing especially defensively. He should have been playing origin by now. Maybe i had higher expectations.

But imo he hasn't taken his game to the next level like i thought he would.
That happens a lot at this club……..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree. Unsure what Elelmenentary see in him. He has ok PCM but rarely looks like busting the line. Rarely uses his offload or ball skills. Ok defender but then again it is his side that's being torn apart.
I believe we aren’t using his skills to his fullest in attack, one out hit up trash and block plays don’t suit his style of footy. Even Puke Brooks was able to put him into gaps and space.

hindy111

Post Whore
I believe we aren’t using his skills to his fullest in attack, one out hit up trash and block plays don’t suit his style of footy. Even Puke Brooks was able to put him into gaps and space.

This is true. All our forwards are used as battering rams. So are our back in that case. Time to play football

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so this weeks scapegoat sorted even before the game has been played

oldmancraigy

Coach
I reckon Dunster is safer, at least defending kicks. Maybe he is a better decision maker too? Agreed he'll offer f**k all go forward. Sivo needs to step up.

Simon literally needs to step up (and play the ball) He tends to either get dominated or spend time looking at the referee and has a super slow play the ball.

Perhaps Dunster will play it more quickly and allow Gutherson to get out of dummy half for meterage?

oldmancraigy

Coach
The thinking is that Niukore is a front rower, and therefore our worst defensive centre of the three. If he looked better it's because he was never tested. He certainly never defended outside Jake Arthur. How could you know he was any good if he never faced any overlaps?

Serious?

He defended against the Storm and Olam. He faced plenty of overlaps during his games this season, but showed plenty of calm. He was referred to as the 2nd coming of Ruben Wiki on occasion. Defensively he was surprisingly good, despite being tested

Or do you assume the opposing coaches decided not to run plays to overlap the prop defending out wide... lol...

Our middle is thin with Paulo and out, so are we better with Makahesi debuting, or Waqa on the edge?