What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Penrith

Valheru

Coach
It happens. We paid Sam McKendry for 3 years without him playing more than a few minutes. I'm sure Brett Morris will qualify for medical retirement.
No one is whinging about it, just pointing out that including friend in the injury list is valid.

I'm not sure you can medically retire someone after an ACL but B-Moz is also in the last year of his contract. You are aware that clubs can't get cap compensation when a player medically retires in the final year of their current contract?

mxlegend99

Referee
Penrith supporters bleat about producing all these quality juniors that can fill 3 nrl sides yet next minute they have to play said juniors, get flogged and whinge about it.
We struggle to keep together just 30 of our own. We need to recruit unwanted players like Rob Jennings, Matt Eisenhuth, Jaemon Salmon, Sorensen etc.to fill in our top 30 so we could use players that wouldn't get poached or sky rocket in value after being used for a game or two.

Last year we had to release a lot of experienced players just to cover upgrades to everyone off contract who agreed to stay. Many thought we would struggle with all that experience we lost. Yet it took losing 7 rep players and an 8th NRL player to field a team that couldn't win... And it was basically against a full strength NRL side with a vendetta against the coach.

I know some people were ridiculously thinking they would still win. I don't understand that. I thought it was possible but realistically if Tigers showed up it was not ever going to go any other way. Or if there was some lottery sin binnings in our favour. That's about the best chance a weaker roster has at winning now.

The_Frog

First Grade
No one is whinging about it, just pointing out that including friend in the injury list is valid.

I'm not sure you can medically retire someone after an ACL but B-Moz is also in the last year of his contract. You are aware that clubs can't get cap compensation when a player medically retires in the final year of their current contract?
You can if it's career ending.

M'Bye went off with 30 minutes to go.

You're never going to win when your opponent gets that kind of leg up.

If you had your full compliment he would have gone off with 75 minutes to go, although the game would have been over by that point.

Tiger5150

Bench
We struggle to keep together just 30 of our own. We need to recruit unwanted players like Rob Jennings, Matt Eisenhuth, Jaemon Salmon, Sorensen etc.to fill in our top 30 so we could use players that wouldn't get poached or sky rocket in value after being used for a game or two.

Last year we had to release a lot of experienced players just to cover upgrades to everyone off contract who agreed to stay. Many thought we would struggle with all that experience we lost. Yet it took losing 7 rep players and an 8th NRL player to field a team that couldn't win... And it was basically against a full strength NRL side with a vendetta against the coach.

I know some people were ridiculously thinking they would still win. I don't understand that. I thought it was possible but realistically if Tigers showed up it was not ever going to go any other way. Or if there was some lottery sin binnings in our favour. That's about the best chance a weaker roster has at winning now.

I genuinely thought Penrith still looked stronger on paper.

mxlegend99

Referee
I genuinely thought Penrith still looked stronger on paper.
If you only looked at 1 to 11 and ignored May then maybe it's pretty close (even though our 4 and 5 couldn't get a run at Tigers)
IMG_20210606_214707.jpg

But 12 to 17 really drops off quickly.
IMG_20210606_214730.jpg

Considering even the strong portion of our team had 2 players Tigers didn't rate as top 17 material it's still not that strong.

A few that had only been solid at best got exposed for their form without the Origin players boosting the team. Specifically of all players Kikau. He has been well below his best for ages now but it hasn't mattered with Brian To'o and Matt Burton carving up that edge. Looks like he's doing well creating space with his presence. But really he's just bludging and not even willing to step up when we need it

Tiger5150

Bench
If you only looked at 1 to 11 and ignored May then maybe it's pretty close (even though our 4 and 5 couldn't get a run at Tigers)
View attachment 49223

View attachment 49224

Considering even the strong portion of our team had 2 players Tigers didn't rate as top 17 material it's still not that strong.

A few that had only been solid at best got exposed for their form without the Origin players boosting the team. Specifically of all players Kikau. He has been well below his best for ages now but it hasn't mattered with Brian To'o and Matt Burton carving up that edge. Looks like he's doing well creating space with his presence. But really he's just bludging and not even willing to step up when we need it

Your 5 and the bench were the only glimpses of positivity I could see. I was confident that Jennings would do something that would help us and I thought our bench was better than yours (as it should be when you take out 8).

I was at the game, JFH is a beast, Kikau is a myth. Was genuinely surprised at him at Burton. YES YES YES you have your best 8 players out, that is undeniable, but I was a bit surprised that when things got tough there was a few went missing, Kikau wanted nothing to do with it. IMO Pamfers are the best team in the comp, but when that gold plated engine is removed, there are some down hill skiers.

if Cleary makes it into a back-to-back Grand Final he should be seen in the same light as a Cronk, Fittler or Keary who achieved this while being the dominant halves for their team in the modern era.

I don’t know what the hype is all about on JT. I don’t understand how a “Best Halfback” of all time can lead his team to two grand finals 10 years apart and the third one didn’t even need his service.

Why aren’t the likes of Cronk, Keary, Fittler and to some degree Maloney be considered as more dominant halves than him since they achieved more in the modern era.

You’ll mention awards. Well he got voted for by people just like all the other players who have won them.
And….Politicians win by vote too and that doesn’t mean they are the best at what they do…

According to on-field presence, dominant halves stand out only when they can lead their team to a Grand Final. And JT didn’t do that, he needed 10 years to have the right players to come around in Morgan and Coote.

If you don’t think making the Grand Final is a show of how dominant he was than don’t tell me you’ll say Cleary is on a trajectory like JT if his team bows out early in the finals….you’ll be talking about him

Valheru

Coach
if Cleary makes it into a back-to-back Grand Final he should be seen in the same light as a Cronk, Fittler or Keary who achieved this while being the dominant halves for their team in the modern era.

I don’t know what the hype is all about on JT. I don’t understand how a “Best Halfback” of all time can lead his team to two grand finals 10 years apart and the third one didn’t even need his service.

Why aren’t the likes of Cronk, Keary, Fittler and to some degree Maloney be considered as more dominant halves than him since they achieved more in the modern era.

You’ll mention awards. Well he got voted for by people just like all the other players who have won them.
And….Politicians win by vote too and that doesn’t mean they are the best at what they do…

According to on-field presence, dominant halves stand out only when they can lead their team to a Grand Final. And JT didn’t do that, he needed 10 years to have the right players to come around in Morgan and Coote.

If you don’t think making the Grand Final is a show of how dominant he was than don’t tell me you’ll say Cleary is on a trajectory like JT if his team bows out early in the finals….you’ll be talking about him

Cleary has to win a GF or at least play well in one to be on the same level as those guys you mentioned.

I actually do feel you on the JT stuff though, he was epic at rep level but his club record isn't anything to write home about IMO. It is a travesty that he will go down as a CCM recipient. If the award didn't die in 2014 when Burgess got it after 1 minute then it certainly did in 2015 when the 10th best player on the field got it.

yobbo84

First Grade
Cleary has to win a GF or at least play well in one to be on the same level as those guys you mentioned.

I actually do feel you on the JT stuff though, he was epic at rep level but his club record isn't anything to write home about IMO. It is a travesty that he will go down as a CCM recipient. If the award didn't die in 2014 when Burgess got it after 1 minute then it certainly did in 2015 when the 10th best player on the field got it.
2014 should've gone to George Burgess and 2015 to Ben Barba.

Valheru

Coach
2014 should've gone to George Burgess and 2015 to Ben Barba.

You mean 2016 to Barba? I thought it should have went to Fifita but politics were at play there. Luke Lewis at least was sensational that game.

If they were serious about "preserving the integrity of the award" as they allegedly did in 2013 and 2019 by giving it to players from the losing team then 2015 should have went to Milford.

yobbo84

First Grade
You mean 2016 to Barba? I thought it should have went to Fifita but politics were at play there. Luke Lewis at least was sensational that game.

If they were serious about "preserving the integrity of the award" as they allegedly did in 2013 and 2019 by giving it to players from the losing team then 2015 should have went to Milford.
Ben Barba... what an idiot.. I meant Anthony Milford *facepalm*

stryker

First Grade

You are f**ked in the head ...yeah?

franklin2323

Immortal
View attachment 49223

View attachment 49224

Not really. Staines has less than 20 FG

Burton played 3 games in the halves. Very young side

The_Frog

First Grade
In 2004 he was a half playing from the bench. The Bulldogs must have realised his ability but not enough to start him ahead of Sherwin and Anasta and not enough to secure his services for ensuing years. Sonny Bill warmed the same bench.

Cleary won the halfback of the year award in 2020 and was extremely unlucky to miss out on Dally M player of the year honours, which went to Jack Wighton. This year, however, is looking more promising for him.

In 2021 Cleary has led the Penrith Panthers to 12 consecutive wins and is currently four points clear of second place in the Dally M leaderboard. The 12 straight wins are of course a team effort, but Cleary has led his team around with his direction and kicking game.

With Cleary and the Panthers looking as sharp as ever, is this the year that makes Nathan Cleary the best player in the world?

People are talking about which is the most important to win. In a real world scenario, I would much much rather win the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy, thats why Penrith Panther fans were supporting gold Coast vrs Melbourne Storm on Sunday night. We all truly value the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy. 16 teams attack it on equal footing and over 25 rounds, the winner is the most deserved. Its like the Premier League in the EPL. the best team is decided over the course of the season not in some arbitrary games at the end of the season.
It proves that the team who wins the JJ Glitinan are the best prepared side throughout the off season and most successful side throughout the 6 & 1/2 month weekly slog that is the NRL premiership round competition. You managed any mini crisis’s that present such as key injuries and suspensions as well as losing personnel due to rep footy. You best kept the attitude and drive of the squad pointing in the right direction and you minimised dramas in your squad’s personal lives bleeding into their work. It is severely hard to win it and just as severely under appreciated. The prize money and standing within the game is insufficient.

In contrast, to that the end of season competition is a bit of a lottery, 8 teams get a crack at the Provan-Summons and not necessarily the best side over the 4 week period collects it. Usually, good sides are eliminated by your rivals, providing an easier path. If you make the 8, hit decent form and have some luck, you can take the trophy and at worst it’ll be a 4 game investment.

So, Penrith Panther fans would vastly prefer the JJ Giltinan.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Penrith fans saying they were missing their 8 best players. In what world is Leota a better player then JFH?!

Valheru

Coach
People are talking about which is the most important to win. In a real world scenario, I would much much rather win the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy, thats why Penrith Panther fans were supporting gold Coast vrs Melbourne Storm on Sunday night. We all truly value the JJ Giltinan Sheild over the Provan-Summons Trophy. 16 teams attack it on equal footing and over 25 rounds, the winner is the most deserved. Its like the Premier League in the EPL. the best team is decided over the course of the season not in some arbitrary games at the end of the season.
It proves that the team who wins the JJ Glitinan are the best prepared side throughout the off season and most successful side throughout the 6 & 1/2 month weekly slog that is the NRL premiership round competition. You managed any mini crisis’s that present such as key injuries and suspensions as well as losing personnel due to rep footy. You best kept the attitude and drive of the squad pointing in the right direction and you minimised dramas in your squad’s personal lives bleeding into their work. It is severely hard to win it and just as severely under appreciated. The prize money and standing within the game is insufficient.

In contrast, to that the end of season competition is a bit of a lottery, 8 teams get a crack at the Provan-Summons and not necessarily the best side over the 4 week period collects it. Usually, good sides are eliminated by your rivals, providing an easier path. If you make the 8, hit decent form and have some luck, you can take the trophy and at worst it’ll be a 4 game investment.

So, Penrith Panther fans would vastly prefer the JJ Giltinan.

Quality trolling