What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson or Moylan..?

PJ

First Grade
There absolutely has to be more to it, information that we aren't privy to.

Everyone knows SJ can play. There is a reason NZ knocked a back a homecoming.

Yep, and I seem to remembe Ennis saying at the time that Johnson wasn't a Cronulla type player.

DJDL

Bench
That's the first I've heard of that, I thought they dumped him because he was shit. Which he proved by being dropped at the Dogs,

There was talk last year the playing group was off him because they felt he was a little smart arse. Not part of the team.

coolumsharkie

Referee
You guys need to look beyond what is in front of you.
There is a reason why Fitz doesn't want SJ.
I don't know it, and none of you do either, but there is something there that just isn't right.
My guess is it's personality.
Have you all forgotten SJ's first year here?
He did not show any toughness whatsoever, and walked around like he was a rock star.
He was the first Sharks player ever that I went to the sideline and actually screamed abuse at, and I then walked out. I think it was the game that Bomber hooked him. I yelled at him that at Cronulla we play tough footy not like the Warriors, and us supporters actually care about results, throw in expletives,. He was in shock, so was Gals missus who was standing next to me haha.
I felt the same but he came good and showed what he could/can do.

snout

First Grade
Come on - it aint rocket science.
Bellamy wouldnt have him.
Robbo is a no.
Thats always an indicator for me. Keeping up with the joneses. Would the top 4 buy him.
No.
Fortunately for us fitzy has been closer to robbo than robbos missus the past however many years and been part of the halfback discussion.
What do you need in a 7.
Who do you need in a 7.
What dont you want in a 7.
Mitch Pearce was part of the furniture at easts u til robbo knew he wasnt winning anything with him. The blues halfback. Gone.
Kyle flanno. Young guy. Good junior career.
3 years. Going well. Dropped. WTF?? Another chance. Gone.

Im just thankful Fitzy isnt swayed by SJs 2010 touch football form like too many in here.
Even his bros dont want him back.

Special K

Coach
SJ has been here for three years and is a "superstar". If the club wanted to keep him it would be done by now. The fact the Warriors where he spent most of his career at don't want him either speaks volumes.

Don't forget if he does sign for 400-500k at the dogs we offered him that months and and he was demanding 800 from us. We moved on.

He is a flat track bully. He has a career winning % of 47. For every flashy game there is probably 60 minutes where you thought where is SJ. Name one game he has dominated like Maloney vs the Cowboys in the 2016 finals for example.

CYA

Omnishark2

Juniors
Personality issues can be effectively managed with the right man management skills. Footy stars have egos - what a newflash !
There have been plenty of premiership winning teams where different players hate each other. eg Our most prominent ex-player is allegedly a prick of a person from anyone who's had personal dealings with him.

I think SJ's mistake was his strong public support when Bomber got shafted - I knew at the time that was a bad move that would ruffle feathers.
But I thought the club would be big enough to get together with SJ and thrash it out & move forward.
Apparently not.

People say we won't win a premiership with SJ - well we sure as hell won't win one with Tricky Trindall !
Play the long game you say - well any decent NRL half who might get us to a premiership window is going to cost a lot more than $500k in 2023 (when the new team comes in). Nico is great, but he can't do it by himself.

I'm worried we will regret this decision big time.

PJ

First Grade
Personality issues can be effectively managed with the right man management skills. Footy stars have egos - what a newflash !
There have been plenty of premiership winning teams where different players hate each other. eg Our most prominent ex-player is allegedly a prick of a person from anyone who's had personal dealings with him.

I think SJ's mistake was his strong public support when Bomber got shafted - I knew at the time that was a bad move that would ruffle feathers.
But I thought the club would be big enough to get together with SJ and thrash it out & move forward.
Apparently not.

People say we won't win a premiership with SJ - well we sure as hell won't win one with Tricky Trindall !
Play the long game you say - well any decent NRL half who might get us to a premiership window is going to cost a lot more than $500k in 2023 (when the new team comes in). Nico is great, but he can't do it by himself.

I'm worried we will regret this decision big time.

If we won't win one with either Trindall or Johnson, then I'd rather go with the guy who wants to be here.

Johnson was quite vocal saying he is very open to leaving, only when he found no one was banging down his door did he switch to the club doesn't want me.

There seems to be plenty of clubs that could do with a decent half, but only sounds like Broncos and Dogs are the only one interested. Says a bit I think.

tye

Juniors
Come on - it aint rocket science.
Bellamy wouldnt have him.
Robbo is a no.
Thats always an indicator for me. Keeping up with the joneses. Would the top 4 buy him.
No.
Fortunately for us fitzy has been closer to robbo than robbos missus the past however many years and been part of the halfback discussion.
What do you need in a 7.
Who do you need in a 7.
What dont you want in a 7.
Mitch Pearce was part of the furniture at easts u til robbo knew he wasnt winning anything with him. The blues halfback. Gone.
Kyle flanno. Young guy. Good junior career.
3 years. Going well. Dropped. WTF?? Another chance. Gone.

Im just thankful Fitzy isnt swayed by SJs 2010 touch football form like too many in here.
Even his bros dont want him back.
Mate, have you seen Robo’s missus? A 10 outa 10!

DJDL

Bench
I’m starting to come around to Fitzy’s way of thinking on this.
I thought SJ stunk it up last night.

Twice we had good field position through Cowboys mistakes only to offer up insipid sets of 6, finished with deplorable kicking options. The first time resulted in conceding 6 points. The second almost did as well.

If Chad was the 7 we’d be screaming the house down.

The rest of the game I thought SJ was barely above average, save for the kick for Tracey’s try and the line break towards the end.

If he’s auditioning for a role elsewhere he needs to lift his game.

snout

First Grade
SJ.
Its quite obvious the running game is over.

The one at the end almost resulted in a try and we all go - wheres that been all game??!
But then thats been hes whole career...shows what he can then shelves it for 6 weeks.

sladden road

Juniors
I’m starting to come around to Fitzy’s way of thinking on this.
I thought SJ stunk it up last night.

Twice we had good field position through Cowboys mistakes only to offer up insipid sets of 6, finished with deplorable kicking options. The first time resulted in conceding 6 points. The second almost did as well.

If Chad was the 7 we’d be screaming the house down.

The rest of the game I thought SJ was barely above average, save for the kick for Tracey’s try and the line break towards the end.

If he’s auditioning for a role elsewhere he needs to lift his game.
Yep, I posted in the dame gay thread at about the 20 minute mark. He was casual Sj last night. It was all off, poor options confusing runners outside of him and turning us back inside(which to be fair looked like the game plan). His set ups were off with passes behind runners. When we are flying mozzarella passes before the runner or straightens up to engage the line and commit. When Sj plays like that we look poor.
There is so much to say about this but I trust in the direction of Fitz. SJ is a great player. He’s just not going to get us to where the new coach wants us to be, and that is really ,IMO, about effort over time ie: consistency .

there’s another reason and it’s a dirty word around here… but it’s called culture . That builds you a dynasty. Getting a bunch of egos can give you a premiership (thank you football gods for 2016), but then it can stink the place up and you miss out on a real crack for years…barba.. feefs…duges.. val f**king us over weeks before kick off, birdy will I stay or go for the richest contract ever,Jimmy and the penaltyathon..2017 like a pack of arrogant fools… 2018 missed opportunity, getting out asses handed to us by manly over the years.
I’ll say something controversial … Flanno was lucky. He wasn’t a great coach. He is a good, solid one who got lucky, very lucky. He tried to replicate it and look what we got . A mess of huge proportions.Don’t drink the 2016 cool aid where a bunch of rusted on sucked on the nip of long starved success and took mediocrity since then.. we make the 8 and circle jerk .
f**k that.
Merkins writing off Fitz before he even comes here because we draw a line in the sand and say, if you ain’t in.. well sorry ,
your not in.
That attitude gives you another 20 years of not quite good enough.
Put them with the Bomber apologists and part of the 50000 at gf who couldn’t name a third of the current team…whatever.
I know the roosters system somewhat from close in. I am a huge fan of Robbo. He is a good man and a great coach. I have seen him do a lot of his work, and he doesn’t do it all . He has a strong team around him and players who are all in. Like Bellamy does. Why do you think they let players go from those clubs. Why do players play for less at those clubs. That’s the kind of club I would like to be a part of.
f**k I could go on for ages . I’ll leave it for Sharkcast.
Back Fitz or come back in three years.
We’ll talk then.

Last edited:
Yep, I posted in the dame gay thread at about the 20 minute mark. He was casual Sj last night. It was all off, poor options confusing runners outside of him amd turning us back inside(which to be fair looked like the game plan). His set ups were off with passes behind runners. When we are flying mozzarella passes before the runner or straightens up to engage the line and commit. When Sj plays like that we look poor.
There is so much to say about this but I trust in the direction of Fitz. SJ is a great player. He’s just not going to get us to where the new coach wants us to be, and that is really ,IMO, about effort over time ie: consistency .

there’s another reason and it’s a dirty word around here… but it’s called culture . That builds you and dynasty. Getting a bunch of egos can give you a premiership (thank you football gods for 2016), but then it can stink the place up and you miss out on a real crack for years…barba.. feefs…duges.. val f**king us over weeks before kick off, birdy will I stay or go for the richest contract ever,Jimmy and the penaltyathon..2017 like a pack of arrogant fools… 2018 missed opportunity, getting out asses handed to us by manly over the years.
I’ll say something controversial … Flanno was lucky. He wasn’t a great coach. He is a good, solid one who got lucky, very lucky. He tried to replicate it and look what we got . A mess of huge proportions.Don’t drink the 2016 cool aid where a bunch of rusted on sucked on the nip of long starved success and took mediocrity since then.. we make the 8 and circle jerk .
f**k that.
Merkins writing off Fitz before he even comes here because we draw a line in the sand and say, if you ain’t in.. we’ll sorry ,
your not in.That attitude gives you another 20 years of not quite good enough.
Put them with the Bomber apologists and part of the 50000 at gf who couldn’t name a third of the current team…whatever.
I know the roosters system somewhat from close in. I am a huge fan of Robbo. He is a good man and a great coach. I have seen him do a lot of his work, and he doesn’t do it all . He has a strong team around him and players who are all in. Like Bellamy does. Why do you think they let players go from those clubs. Why do players play for less at those clubs. That’s the kind of club I would like to be a part of.
f**k I could go on for ages . I’ll leave it for Sharkcast.
Back Fitzor come back in three years.
We’ll talk then.
Excellent post.

sladden road

Juniors
Should Fitz just drop SJ right now?
Haha.. you need to bait the line with more subtlety.
I’m generally like a old trout up in a sleepy estuary,of a river that you never visit in a part of Jindabyne lost in time. Like the original 1980 Monkey Magic opening scenes.
You are confusing me for a Australian Salmon going beserker in the channel 2 meters from the shore at Wanda .Sir.

Jesus it's like valentines day in here.
the Fitz romance is strong.
how bout stop heaping shit tonnes of expectation on a guy who's largely proven nothing to anyone other than coming from a good system.
let's hope he does well.
but some of these loved up posts won't age well if he doesn't.