What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maroons team for the successful 2021 Origin series

myrrh ken

First Grade
I've seen calls for to dump Daly Cherry-Evans, but realistically who are you going to replace him with

Ben Hunt?
Jamal Fogarty?
Ash Taylor?
Anthony Milford?
Corey Norman?
Brodie Croft?
Sam Walker (Too young)

Hunt is the most viable option, but I still wouldn't do it. This was in comparison to Mitchell Pearce who was given a million chances by not only NSW selectors but even media commentators.

I concede Queensland's attack was clunky. But it wasn't just Cherry-Evans that struggled. The team look out of its depth. It's very hard to single handily drag your team out of the melee with that kind of pressure against you.

DCE is a lot like Mitchell Pearce. Can win you a club match, but absolutely average in any representative context

ALX25

Bench
Titans star David Fifita will have to beat a one-game ban at the NRL judiciary to take his place in the Queensland side but Valentine Holmes will avoid suspension for his crusher tackle on Kalyn Ponga.

ALX25

Bench
Origin hopefuls Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough are not part of the 10-15 Dragons players under both NSW police and NRL investigation for breaching stay-at-home orders and NRL biosecurity rules.

stryker

First Grade
NSW have selected a very weak halves pairing.
The opportunity exists to salvage this game and stop the whitewash. I would not be changing the squad bar additions of Ponga and Brimson.

Hartwood

Juniors
Starting Team:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Valentine Holmes
3. Dane Gagai
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Christian Welch
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh Papalii
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Jai Arrow

Interchange:

14. Alexander Brimson
15. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. David Fifita

Reserves:

18. Francis Molo
19. Kurt Mann
20. Thomas Flegler

davi

Juniors
Starting Team:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Valentine Holmes
3. Dane Gagai
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Christian Welch
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh Papalii
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Jai Arrow

Interchange:

14. Alexander Brimson
15. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. David Fifita

Reserves:

18. Francis Molo
19. Kurt Mann
20. Thomas Flegler

Obviously alot is riding on whether David Fifita can beat the ban. I am a Broncos fan, but I would be tempted to replace Xavier Coates with Corey Thompson on the wing. Titans seem so much better when he is in their side. Thompson chances have been hampered though because he has been out injured for two months and only played last weekend. I thought Coates was playing hard in Origin 2, despite some of his lapses in defense though.

Alot of expectations on Kalyn Ponga. He is one of the highest paid players in the NRL. If he is the superstar then he has to prove it and show what he is made of in this game to avert the sweep.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Sanity prevails.
Lol weren't the QRL supposedly going to provide the NRL with the paperwork to prove his eligibility prior to game 3? I correctly surmised no such paperwork exists or else he wouldn't have been withdrawn from game two.

It's a bit like a deadbeat telling the debt collectors the cheque is in the mail. Everyone knows it's never going to arrive but it buys the debtor a couple more weeks of peace and they save some face.

In this case obviously Ronaldo and/or the QRL blatantly lied on previous declaration forms to allow him to play in the Qld age teams when he was ineligible and nobody bothered to check. We are supposed to feel sorry for him why exactly?

Last edited:

Munted

Bench
We are supposed to feel sorry for him why exactly?
Spot on mate. I feel nothing for the merkin. His dream has not been pulled from underneath him. He was never entitled to it in the first place.

It's like your employer overpaying you and you keep quiet about it, you spend it, then crack the shits when they realise a mistake was made and short pay you the following month.

Never entitled to it, so don't fkn whinge.

ALX25

Bench
David Fifita won’t play in the State of Origin finale after failing to beat a grade one dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

Maroons 18th man Francis Molo, who made his Origin debut in game two, is set to replace Fifita on the interchange.

stryker

First Grade
f**k these merkins. They have done nothing to help themselves this series.
They deserve the sweep.

davi

Juniors
QRL are so filthy with Jai Arrow they are considering banning him from being chosen for next year's state of origin as well.

Funny enough. When I was thinking of who would be a future captain when Daly Cherry-Evans departs. I thought either Cameron Munster or Jai Arrow.

Yeah I made a mistake on the latter. I certainly got that wrong.

The_Frog

First Grade
QRL are so filthy with Jai Arrow they are considering banning him from being chosen for next year's state of origin as well.

Funny enough. When I was thinking of who would be a future captain when Daly Cherry-Evans departs. I thought either Cameron Munster or Jai Arrow.

Yeah I made a mistake on the latter. I certainly got that wrong.
Munster doesn't strike me as a captaincy type either.