What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Jaydn Su’A.

denis preston

First Grade
OK but let's qualify those . i) 4 SOO appearances - 2020 , 3 games, first off the bench, second 80 mins, third, 13 minutes off the bench. 2021 - game 1 off the bench. Dropped for the rest of the series. You're correct technically but so would I be if I said he failed at that.
ii) " coming from a top 4 team having played under one of the best coaches of all time " - Bennett dropped him to reserves recently for 2 or 3 weeks and only recalled him because Jai Arrow was in the Maroons camp ( according to NRL.com - https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/08/bennett-certain-sua-will-revive-career-at-dragons/ ). So, even Bennett couldn't help him and now he has Hook. Bennett sees more value in Jacob Host.
iii) " Depends on how you look at it I suppose " - I look at it from taking his history into account and as I said, you'll get a couple of great games and big hits from him each year, a lot of inconsistency and the occasional trip to the Judiciary.
What is it with Hook and ex Broncos ?
Jebus Kit, why dont you just enjoy the signing instead of whinging about it ? Doesn't cost us the earth and look at the last two signings as those in our pack rather than Ellis, Ford, Burns& Alvaro ?

Mjab

Juniors
Jebus Kit, why dont you just enjoy the signing instead of whinging about it ? Doesn't cost us the earth and look at the last two signings as those in our pack rather than Ellis, Ford, Burns& Alvaro ?
When I look at those 4 signings they havent been good have they !

Definite SuA an upgrade on those guys

Burns Im happy to give some time to settle and actually play 2nd row rather than a centre stop gap

Ellis waste space, Ford very disappointing and no progress in over 18m, Alvaro a waste time to date very disappointing.

I said no to Klemmer
But In retrospect Id rather amalgamate Ellis Ford and Alvaro and get Klemmer !!!

kit66

Bench

I questioned the worth of the signings of Norman ( I spat the dummy on that one ), Burns, Ellis, Beale and Poasa and I've been pretty much vindicated on all of them. Su'a is just another one of these type of signings, the evidence is staring you all in the face. We just keep signing these mediocre ( or worse ) players and where has it got us ? I've tried to be positive about McCullough, Alvaro and now Molo but even that's a risky signing. But I can't please everyone.
I asked in another post about Su'a - " What are his good points ? What makes him the player we just had to buy ? and no-one can post any sensible or meaningful replies, instead just jump on me for not having a hard on for the guy. Myself and others suggested going after some real quality players, class players and I just see the usual seige mentality replies " we can't attract that type of player " " I don't want to pay overs for that guy " " we'll get this guy cheap " " doesn't cost us the Earth " etc. Well guess what, you get what you pay for - the Dragons roster is living proof of that. You don't want to spend money on quality but you're happy to have plenty tied up in players who are barely first grade material. If you haven't looked at our squad lately jump on to our website and have a look at our team, forwards in particular. Yeah, see - how the fk did that happen.
Anyway, we've signed him and I'll go on backing the team and trying to stay positive ( which I do in most cases ).
Hook has done an amazing job to get this roster into the top 8 since the early rounds and keep it there against all expectations so I'm not writing off anything yet, just wish we'd spend our money more wisely. I'm allowed to have an opinion and at least I back it up with a reasoned argument and don't just post barely decipherable drivel like some on here.

Dragon David

First Grade
I questioned the worth of the signings of Norman ( I spat the dummy on that one ), Burns, Ellis, Beale and Poasa and I've been pretty much vindicated on all of them. Su'a is just another one of these type of signings, the evidence is staring you all in the face. We just keep signing these mediocre ( or worse ) players and where has it got us ? I've tried to be positive about McCullough, Alvaro and now Molo but even that's a risky signing. But I can't please everyone.
I asked in another post about Su'a - " What are his good points ? What makes him the player we just had to buy ? and no-one can post any sensible or meaningful replies, instead just jump on me for not having a hard on for the guy. Myself and others suggested going after some real quality players, class players and I just see the usual seige mentality replies " we can't attract that type of player " " I don't want to pay overs for that guy " " we'll get this guy cheap " " doesn't cost us the Earth " etc. Well guess what, you get what you pay for - the Dragons roster is living proof of that. You don't want to spend money on quality but you're happy to have plenty tied up in players who are barely first grade material. If you haven't looked at our squad lately jump on to our website and have a look at our team, forwards in particular. Yeah, see - how the fk did that happen.
Anyway, we've signed him and I'll go on backing the team and trying to stay positive ( which I do in most cases ).
Hook has done an amazing job to get this roster into the top 8 since the early rounds and keep it there against all expectations so I'm not writing off anything yet, just wish we'd spend our money more wisely. I'm allowed to have an opinion and at least I back it up with a reasoned argument and don't just post barely decipherable drivel like some on here.
I can see where you are at Kit66 with our current roster and the projected new signings. The squad of forwards we have consisting of a number Hook has brought to the club and which now has the unfortunate omission of Paul Vaughan who will go to greener pastures in my opinion, are in the main, triers every week but not ooh aah if you know what I mean.

There are some that are rejects and brought in to make up the numbers with the hope of maybe doing OK for us and seen as what you pay for is what you get. We have a couple of genuinely better forwards amongst them but overall the bulk of them are lacking what we want in the shape of Weyman, Smith, Costigan, etc. type abilities and be able to show dominance every week.

I know that Hook isn't wanting to pay overs, but the unfortunate thing is by not paying at least a couple of the better forwards overs money to come to the club, we will just maintain a squad of just above reserve grade players. The Dragons isn't a popular destination for the better players to bring their kit and kaboodle to nowadays - many have rejected us outright and for some years we have taken on rejects and journeymen who just make up the numbers.

I hope that with Molo, Sua, maybe Burgess, maybe...., will do the right thing by Hook when they line up for us next year. We will be much stronger than we are now and if we stay out of trouble, play diligently and effectively each week, we might be in the top 6. Hook has signed players he has had previous dealings with in the past and those players will want to play for him which means playing their heart for the Red V. That is what I want to see - players committed to the Red V.

kit66

Bench
I can see where you are at Kit66 with our current roster and the projected new signings. The squad of forwards we have consisting of a number Hook has brought to the club and which now has the unfortunate omission of Paul Vaughan who will go to greener pastures in my opinion, are in the main, triers every week but not ooh aah if you know what I mean.

There are some that are rejects and brought in to make up the numbers with the hope of maybe doing OK for us and seen as what you pay for is what you get. We have a couple of genuinely better forwards amongst them but overall the bulk of them are lacking what we want in the shape of Weyman, Smith, Costigan, etc. type abilities and be able to show dominance every week.

I know that Hook isn't wanting to pay overs, but the unfortunate thing is by not paying at least a couple of the better forwards overs money to come to the club, we will just maintain a squad of just above reserve grade players. The Dragons isn't a popular destination for the better players to bring their kit and kaboodle to nowadays - many have rejected us outright and for some years we have taken on rejects and journeymen who just make up the numbers.

I hope that with Molo, Sua, maybe Burgess, maybe...., will do the right thing by Hook when they line up for us next year. We will be much stronger than we are now and if we stay out of trouble, play diligently and effectively each week, we might be in the top 6. Hook has signed players he has had previous dealings with in the past and those players will want to play for him which means playing their heart for the Red V. That is what I want to see - players committed to the Red V.

There's the same language - " we can't attract players " we won't pay overs ". What does " overs " even mean ? A really top line prop forward wants $700 - $800K a season, that's the reality, that's what it takes. You won't get one for less. Under that they're not top line, or so out of form they've no choice but to take a pay cut or they're young guns signed cheap but won't be cheap next contract.
Is that George Burgess that we're talking about ? Have we actually signed him, I haven't read that anywhere but on the StG I forum in here. I just searched but all I could find is a rumour or two and that he's in rehab after major hip surgery. All I recall of his time at the Bunnies was that of being the lesser Burgess, low minutes, lot's of missed tackles. Hopefully that's just a bad rumour I don't know if I could handle another thoughtless desperation signing.

BIG RIG

Juniors
There's the same language - " we can't attract players " we won't pay overs ". What does " overs " even mean ? A really top line prop forward wants $700 - $800K a season, that's the reality, that's what it takes. You won't get one for less. Under that they're not top line, or so out of form they've no choice but to take a pay cut or they're young guns signed cheap but won't be cheap next contract.
Is that George Burgess that we're talking about ? Have we actually signed him, I haven't read that anywhere but on the StG I forum in here. I just searched but all I could find is a rumour or two and that he's in rehab after major hip surgery. All I recall of his time at the Bunnies was that of being the lesser Burgess, low minutes, lot's of missed tackles. Hopefully that's just a bad rumour I don't know if I could handle another thoughtless desperation signing.
There has been no announcement in regards to Burgess but it was unofficially announced on the Matty Johns show that he had signed a 2 year deal

kit66

Bench
There has been no announcement in regards to Burgess but it was unofficially announced on the Matty Johns show that he had signed a 2 year deal
Geezuz, hide the razor blades. You sure it's George Burgess and not George Rose, cos that'd make more sense.
What the hell is going on, how can this year possibly get any worse.

Dragon David

First Grade
It could be a medical protocol thing to make sure his hip will withstand the rigours of the "new rules" NRL competition. It's a Dragon thing with our signings. A name will be splashed in the relevant media paraphernalia with the official signing and in the Dragon website when we least expect it and it could be completely different to the one we expect.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Su'a is a much better signing than the others you made mention of. You can try to discredit his origin games if you wish but the simple fact is he showed the form to get picked in the first place, did he not?

My opinion is that Su'a is a good signing and will add some much needed starch to our pack, plenty of upside too considering he is only 23 I believe.

Who are the real class forwards you mention that we've missed out on this year? I think the recruitment has changed markedly this year in a much better direction than previous. Molo and Su'a two young guys with origin experience and Burgess if confirmed, an experienced international forward. The fact we've manufactured these signings without getting in to line and horse trading with other clubs would indicate we're not paying overs for forwards with Origin/International experience which is something that should be recognised by you.

I'd also argue in your list above that Beale has been a great signing, he has been up there with our best running meters and considering he is on peanuts and was picked up mid season, what more can you ask for? Poasa was signed at a time when there were no other forwards available and there are still some areas he needs to improve on but he has shown some promise with good leg drive and strong runs, so I would say his signing has been an okay one as well.

kit66

Bench
Su'a is a much better signing than the others you made mention of. You can try to discredit his origin games if you wish but the simple fact is he showed the form to get picked in the first place, did he not?

My opinion is that Su'a is a good signing and will add some much needed starch to our pack, plenty of upside too considering he is only 23 I believe.

Who are the real class forwards you mention that we've missed out on this year? I think the recruitment has changed markedly this year in a much better direction than previous. Molo and Su'a two young guys with origin experience and Burgess if confirmed, an experienced international forward. The fact we've manufactured these signings without getting in to line and horse trading with other clubs would indicate we're not paying overs for forwards with Origin/International experience which is something that should be recognised by you.

I'd also argue in your list above that Beale has been a great signing, he has been up there with our best running meters and considering he is on peanuts and was picked up mid season, what more can you ask for? Poasa was signed at a time when there were no other forwards available and there are still some areas he needs to improve on but he has shown some promise with good leg drive and strong runs, so I would say his signing has been an okay one as well.
OK, thanks.
Might as well wait and see how it pans out then.

I can't wait for round one 2022 when Beale scores a hat trick and George Burgess gets sent off and suspended for 20 weeks for a fatal eye gouge on his own team mate McGuire because he thought McGuire kept winking at him.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
OK, thanks.
Might as well wait and see how it pans out then.

I can't wait for round one 2022 when Beale scores a hat trick and George Burgess gets sent off and suspended for 20 weeks for a fatal eye gouge on his own team mate McGuire because he thought McGuire kept winking at him.

Recruitment has been poor for the last decade or so but don't be that guy who is going to death ride every new signing the club makes, mate. Blind Freddy can see the improvement in recruitment since Hook took over.

It's easy from where you sit to whinge about a new signing with the benefit of hindsight but the fact you're not willing to put names forward of the class players you mentioned shows its all hot air if you ask me.

BLM01

First Grade
Recruitment has been poor for the last decade or so but don't be that guy who is going to death ride every new signing the club makes, mate. Blind Freddy can see the improvement in recruitment since Hook took over.

It's easy from where you sit to whinge about a new signing with the benefit of hindsight but the fact you're not willing to put names forward of the class players you mentioned shows its all hot air if you ask me.
Plenty death rided Bird are now singing his praises

kit66

Bench

Well thanks Blind Freddy.
You want to show me the posts where I death ride every new signing. There aren't any. I already answered you on that. I've supported most of our new signings in fact but thought we could have done better than Su'a,( I was hoping for TPJ instead ) and I was dubious about McGuire given his reputation as the biggest grub in footy ( I wasn't alone ).
Anyway I'm not even Death riding Su'a, I've said he's here now and I'll support us no matter what and " let's see how he goes ", questioning the quality of a signing isn't death riding someone ( or in your mind everyone ).
It might have looked like I was ott going after Su'a but that's just because I got into an argument with someone who was maybe his mum or favourite auntie or just a fan boy, not sure, it got ugly, things were said....

If you look back at my posts over the last year regarding signings you'll see I've suggested a heap of off contract players I thought we could have gone after ( most now re-signed or signed by others ) - Jazz Tevaga from the Warriors, Schuster, Keppie or Sipley ( and Rueben Garrick ) from Manly, Angus Chrichton from the Rorters, Finucane and Nicho Hynes - Storm and others. I also begged us to sign TPJ but that didn't happen. I also recently suggested Dave Klemmer would be an awesome signing for us. I've also suggested in the past going hard after some players who are still under contract ( because I dare to dream ), players like Cameron Murray, Isiah Papali'i, Fisher Harris and others. I'm sure there's more as well in the rumours thread, knock yourself out.

If you're just gonna come back at me with aah those guys don't want to play for us or no,no we can't pay overs for those guys then just forget it, I'm sick of hearing it.

Happy now, I've answered all your questions. Next year's gonna be great !

Last edited: