What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker 2022 and beyond

redVinme

Bench
Connor M is who we are waiting for. I have very few connections here due to living in QLD but he is likely and rearing to go. That said if we can get liddle I'd be happy. Potential is there and competition for positions of what every good team offers.

the garage

Juniors
All the top teams have a few things in common, one is the attack starts as soon as the ball touches the dummy halves hands.
It's not looked upon as only a distribution role but an attacking role, Mc'innes was quite good at it.
Whoever it is please check yardage gained, top teams view this position as the 1st cog in their attacking play especially as it can turn around the opposition's defence on the inside and create broken play opportunity.

Verdict still out on Hook in my eyes, the game has changed a lot in last 5 years.

TruSaint

Referee
All the top teams have a few things in common, one is the attack starts as soon as the ball touches the dummy halves hands.
It's not looked upon as only a distribution role but an attacking role, Mc'innes was quite good at it.
Whoever it is please check yardage gained, top teams view this position as the 1st cog in their attacking play especially as it can turn around the opposition's defence on the inside and create broken play opportunity.

Verdict still out on Hook in my eyes, the game has changed a lot in last 5 years.

Yeah, good summary.

You should post more often. 👍

Draginzaaar

Bench
What are peoples thoughts on longer term hooking options

Macca is a solid defender but an absolute plodder otherwise and we will get nowhere with him long term
Cant remember a single good run or kick from him
Those continual barge over plays last week were ridiculous he couldnt even organise them well

McGuiness similar but did do occassional runs and kicks which were useful at times but he also a very limited defensive player in reality unlike some of the hookers others clubs have who are allround good hookers

Hunt will be half not hooker essentially so he isnt the option

We need to buy someone good and this needs to be a priority or we are Fked IMO

I know Clune is a generally poor defender but can he be trained to be a better one as he woukld be an OK option if his defence is improvable

What are others thoughts on this
Got a 40/20 a few weeks ago

Trifili13

Juniors
Agree with
Obviously didnt see that one so I will stand corrected on that

I still think hes a plodder and we need a 14 that will come on and add some attacking options
Agree with you ou Mjab, while Macca might make 50 tackles a game he offers minimal in attack. It all starts from the play the ball and you need someone who can dart out from dummy half, knows whether to go left or right and has a solid kicking game. Macca in my opinion has none of those traits or at best is average.

Draginzaaar mentioned he got a 40/20. One swallow doesn't make a summer, eg Norman has kicked field goals to win us games.

Mjab

Juniors
without any "threat" from dummy half sides easily then put all their defensive efforts into out playmakers and we are easy pickings

He just needs to watch tapes of cameron smith and other good hookers to see how to improve but at his age he cant
He isnt terrible but this is why the Broncos and Knights ended up passing on him
He isnt a complete player and these days if u dont have this complete hooker package we will struggle

What do people think about Josh Hodgson (he seems on the outer at Canberra)

slippery5

Juniors
Go all out for B Smith....or H Grant.

They won't want to share the hooking role forever.
they are resigned to loosing Smith when his contract is up, they will be signing up the son of a former 1st grader (not Wishart) to bring through the system next year as they did with Grant under Smith.

BLM01

First Grade
without any "threat" from dummy half sides easily then put all their defensive efforts into out playmakers and we are easy pickings

He just needs to watch tapes of cameron smith and other good hookers to see how to improve but at his age he cant
He isnt terrible but this is why the Broncos and Knights ended up passing on him
He isnt a complete player and these days if u dont have this complete hooker package we will struggle

What do people think about Josh Hodgson (he seems on the outer at Canberra)
Unsure, was he ever as good as the media made out, or was he a reasonably good hooker in a side going well 2 years ago
People say he tends to take the wrong option a bit too much and overplay his hand
But he can do a steal one on one
Better than AM, yes
but not even in the Top 5 hookers ATM for me. Melb have 2 of them

Latest posts