What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

The_Frog

First Grade
That is surely nonsense - the RLPA has already said that there are agreements for players to forego two weeks of the mandatory. And why would they need to "wait" 2 weeks to join a bubble having just quarantined? Sounds like the sort of exaggeration people use to support a flimsy position.

Let's put it another way - if a player was coming back from injury and volunteered to return to pre-season two weeks early to do extra work - do you reckon the NRL club would be saying "absolutely not, this is a madatory rest period and we will have you nowhere near the club whether you decide to formally waive that right or not" . . . . .
They quarantine to be allowed to enter Australia. Then they have 8 weeks holidays during which time they can go wherever they like. Then, having been in broader society for 8 weeks, they have to enter the bubble. Before I retired my employer insisted that I clear my holidays every year, this was for employee welfare reasons. If you successfully argue that you need 8 weeks off for your own welfare, you can hardly decide all of a sudden that you don't need it after all.

FearTheVee!

Juniors
They quarantine to be allowed to enter Australia. Then they have 8 weeks holidays during which time they can go wherever they like. Then, having been in broader society for 8 weeks, they have to enter the bubble. Before I retired my employer insisted that I clear my holidays every year, this was for employee welfare reasons. If you successfully argue that you need 8 weeks off for your own welfare, you can hardly decide all of a sudden that you don't need it after all.

So you're saying they need 12 weeks away from rugby for their "welfare"? Why does their 8 weeks holiday all need to be in "wider society?" Is that what the players are insisting on or are they willing to play in the WC and you are just creating the worst case scenario?

And of course players can argue that they are happy to give up two weeks holiday to play for Australia - are you seriously suggesting that this shouldn't be the case?! Maybe they should be withdrawn from the NRL play-offs next time to make sure they get their eight weeks in.

Gomersall

Juniors
So this bloke always had the mandatory 8 weeks rest? Like feck he did.

Attachments

• CE0FE413-AA5E-49FC-8770-402CA090255D.jpeg
    CE0FE413-AA5E-49FC-8770-402CA090255D.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 10

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If players have to take 8 weeks off Cameron Smith and co would barely ever have had a preseason. The 2017 WC finished on December 2nd.
James Graham said on Sydney radio on Saturday players organised when they would return with their individual clubs.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Which is PRECISELY why they didn't consult with the players before making the decision, because they knew it would be harder to peddle a player welfare narrative whilst acting against the players' interests and depriving them of the chance to win a World Cup in front of crowds in England.
Exactly and players were starting to come out, they shut it down quickly.

I read stories from Cook, Tedesco and Wighton who were all keen to go.

stryker

First Grade
My understanding of it is that players would need to quarantine on return, then have their mandatory leave, then wait 2 weeks to join the bubble, meaning they cannot train for 2022 season until 2 weeks before it starts, which is completely unsatisfactory. All after having been in the bubble all this season. Eight weeks leave is something they fought for, on the grounds that they needed it for their own welfare.

I'd love to watch a World Cup but it clearly isn't possible under the present conditions.
They need to make sacrifices if they wish to play at the top level.
Do all their quarantine stuff before Christmas and take that out of their holiday time.
They could be back to full time training by the end of January or start of Feb.

stryker

First Grade
That is surely nonsense - the RLPA has already said that there are agreements for players to forego two weeks of the mandatory leave. And why would they need to "wait" 2 weeks to join a bubble having just quarantined? Sounds like the sort of exaggeration people use to support a flimsy position.

Let's put it another way - if a player was coming back from injury and volunteered to return to pre-season two weeks early to do extra work - do you reckon the NRL club would be saying "absolutely not, this is a mandatory rest period and we will have you nowhere near the club, even though it would help us and you formally waived your mandatory leave rights" . . . . .

Rep sportsmen usually have the longest seasons. It's true in all sports that have post-season internationals. Indeed it's already true that play-off decided sports the succesful athletes have less rest. That's just the way it is and the clubs should be honoured to have the top athletes on their rosta and if that means giving them an extra week or two rest through the season then so be it.
100% mate.
The post you responded to is not representative of fan views I’ve seen/read and spoken with over here.

So you're saying they need 12 weeks away from rugby for their "welfare"? Why does their 8 weeks holiday all need to be in "wider society?" Is that what the players are insisting on or are they willing to play in the WC and you are just creating the worst case scenario?

And of course players can argue that they are happy to give up two weeks holiday to play for Australia - are you seriously suggesting that this shouldn't be the case?! Maybe they should be withdrawn from the NRL play-offs next time to make sure they get their eight weeks in.
It's about the welfare of the staff. And of course a part of the decisions by the ARLC is because the blazeratti won't be able to go out for food and drinks as they wish, they'll have to socially distance/isolate. Which does make me think, what sinful acts do they get up to when they're touring up here?

Which is PRECISELY why they didn't consult with the players before making the decision, because they knew it would be harder to peddle a player welfare narrative whilst acting against the players' interests and depriving them of the chance to win a World Cup in front of crowds in England.
Anyway RL should not have a short form WC, it should be played over 4 years as it was in the late 80's. 5 teams involved, PNG, France, NZ, Oz and the British Lions. I want to see the Lions playing the 'Roos in a 3 match Test series at least every 2 years.

Gomersall

Juniors
Big Brother is dictating to the NRL players yet again. He thinks they are too thick to understand the ramifications of their actions until the snake explains it to them. Give them a choice and see what the players think. Or is that one of those questions they won’t ask just in case they get the wrong answer?

stryker

First Grade
Anyway RL should not have a short form WC, it should be played over 4 years as it was in the late 80's. 5 teams involved, PNG, France, NZ, Oz and the British Lions. I want to see the Lions playing the 'Roos in a 3 match Test series at least every 2 years.
RL is played in more than 70 countries with 7 of those holding professional competitions. Additionally, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa are comprised mainly of players who operate professionally in Australia and the UK.
The 6 “minnows” who earn the right to be ranked in the top 16 nations deserve to test themselves against the professional countries. The short form WC allows this to happen and has led to professional careers. On top of this, all countries not considered in the big 3 get the chance to improve…which has led to test wins over these nations recently.

KennySterling

Juniors
It was great to listen to James Graham on the radio over the weekend. Intelligent, no BS, saying it as it is which was particularly brave of a man trying to create a media career there. He sees the bigger picture for rugby league.

Also heartening were the voices of positivity from Ryan Girdler, Peter Sterling and Ricky Stuart. They would all put their hands up to tour.

But shame on Gould, Ivan Cleary (wishing to deny his son) and V'Landys pet poodle Paul Kent who immediately shot down James Graham.

stryker

First Grade
It was great to listen to James Graham on the radio over the weekend. Intelligent, no BS, saying it as it is which was particularly brave of a man trying to create a media career there. He sees the bigger picture for rugby league.

Also heartening were the voices of positivity from Ryan Girdler, Peter Sterling and Ricky Stuart. They would all put their hands up to tour.

But shame on Gould, Ivan Cleary (wishing to deny his son) and V'Landys pet poodle Paul Kent who immediately shot down James Graham.
How did Kent shoot Graham down?
What was his argument?