What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Firehawks orange and blue has a lot of potential for an iconic brand if they get it right. Dolphins bit meh unless they do something a bit more original and Jets also has some potential with green silver and black.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I grew up playing for Wynnum Manly juniors and I couldn't care less, most of my mates that played wouldn't either. I would be proud to see a traditional Queensland brand in the NRL be it Jets or Dolphins. I'd also be thrilled for Easts if they got in using the Firehawks brand.
Good for you, but unfortunately your individual anecdote isn't reflective of the average behaviour of humans observed throughout history.

You may identify with what we'll loosely describe as the shared history of the BRL/QRL over individual clubs and/or other subcultures within Brisbane, but you are undoubtedly in a minority in that position.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm a Wynnum Manly fan and would be proud to see Redcliffe and Easts play in the NRL. I don't want to see Ipswich as they're not a traditional BRL club.

I really want the Firehawks to get the 17th licence. I'll become a huge fan of the Brisbane Firehawks if they enter the NRL. I'll finally have a club from south-east Brisbane to get behind. It's hard to get behind the Broncos because they're from the north-west.
I get what you mean mate. People don't understand that QLD is not Sydney. Most QLD RL fans I know get behind all of our teams (with the Broncs of course being a little polarising).

I am happy to see the Broncs, Cowboys, Titans, Sunny Coast Storm ;) have success. Even the Broncos / Cowboys rivalry is pretty good natured. I'm behind any bid that eventually wins the Brisbane 2 slot, even if it is from outside the current bidders somehow. I just want QLD and Brisbane properly represented in the game that is supposedly the number 1 game in the state. For me it is unacceptable and reprehensible on the part of the NRL that the AFL has as many teams in SEQ as we do.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Good for you, but unfortunately your individual anecdote isn't reflective of the average behaviour of humans observed throughout history.

You may identify with what we'll loosely describe as the shared history of the BRL/QRL over individual clubs and/or other subcultures within Brisbane, but you are undoubtedly in a minority in that position.
You what is a small minority? People that care about the BRL rivalries from the 80's or QLD Cup today. Yes, the small fanbases are no doubt passionate, but they are small and given that the new club will be called Brisbane, play at Suncorp and market to the entire city, most of those targeted fans will not be members of a QLD Cup side and a large swathe of them won't have even played junior league.

The next generation of kids that Brisbane 2 hope to pick up certainly don't care about the BRL or the second division rivalries.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If it's a quartered design, they'll say it's too rugby union.. if it's a sash, they'll say it's too AFL.. just look at the reaction to Parra's yellow shirt this year (which I actually really like, truth be told).
Who gives a f**k about those people.

It doesn't matter what you do when it comes to branding there'll always be a minority of jerkoffs who say stupid stuff like that, but as long as you ignore them they have no impact.

You don't want to be in the place that a lot of clubs (in all sports) are where they are too scared to make any changes to their brand for fear of a couple thousand outraged wankers on the internet.

MugaB

Coach
Who gives a f**k about those people.

It doesn't matter what you do when it comes to branding there'll always be a minority of jerkoffs who say stupid stuff like that, but as long as you ignore them they have no impact.

You don't want to be in the place that a lot of clubs (in all sports) are where they are too scared to make any changes to their brand for fear of a couple thousand outraged wankers on the internet.
I feel it has to be at least trying to be unique to the oppose the rest of the comp, those 3 bid examples are trash, and not even trying really, most likely some rookie journo told to whip up a few pics off google.... hell even the gold coast dolphins bid had a unique jersey (although thats all they had, moniker and Colors were miami)

The Great Dane

First Grade
You what is a small minority? People that care about the BRL rivalries from the 80's or QLD Cup today. Yes, the small fanbases are no doubt passionate, but they are small and given that the new club will be called Brisbane, play at Suncorp and market to the entire city, most of those targeted fans will not be members of a QLD Cup side and a large swathe of them won't have even played junior league.

The next generation of kids that Brisbane 2 hope to pick up certainly don't care about the BRL or the second division rivalries.
If the above was actually as simple as you seem to think it is then there'd be no in-group and out-group and ethnic identity, race, and most subcultures effectively wouldn't exist, as the same evolutionary and psychological influences that push people to identify and categorise by those groups also influence sport and people to identifying with individual sports and teams.

There are examples within sport of people attempting to do what the Dolphins are attempting, pretty much all of them fail.

My favourite example is the Tuggeranong Vikings, mainly because the similarities between them and Redcliffe are uncanny. They attempted to do what the Dolphins are doing 3 times and every time it ended like this- https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/26/canberras-nrc-team-will-be-a-red-and-white-failure/

The Great Dane

First Grade
I get what you mean mate. People don't understand that QLD is not Sydney. Most QLD RL fans I know get behind all of our teams (with the Broncs of course being a little polarising).
Yeah and South Africa is the Rainbow f**king Nation lol.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Brisbane, it's no post tribalism utopia.

Jamberoo

Juniors
If the above was actually as simple as you seem to think it is then there'd be no in-group and out-group and ethnic identity, race, and most subcultures effectively wouldn't exist, as the same evolutionary and psychological influences that push people to identify and categorise by those groups also influence sport and people to identifying with individual sports and teams.

There are examples within sport of people attempting to do what the Dolphins are attempting, pretty much all of them fail.

My favourite example is the Tuggeranong Vikings, mainly because the similarities between them and Redcliffe are uncanny. They attempted to do what the Dolphins are doing 3 times and every time it ended like this- https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/26/canberras-nrc-team-will-be-a-red-and-white-failure/
It think it is fair to say that it has worked for the AFL with Fremantle and Port Adelaide. Each club has captured about one third of their city as second to market. Neither club is in the centre of town but now has fans right across town. No two (or three) situations are the same but it can work.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It think it is fair to say that it has worked for the AFL with Fremantle and Port Adelaide. Each club has captured about one third of their city as second to market. Neither club is in the centre of town but now has fans right across town. No two (or three) situations are the same but it can work.
dockers arent a wafl club promoted, it was a new entity with a new brand designed to appeal to the whole of southern metro perth region. It has no ownership or links with any pre existing wafl clubs.totally different in fact to what’s about to happen in nrl.

I loved their away white version so much that i bought one (the 2019 one) and recently bought the inaugural home one too, the current kits are super boring, although the away is close to their 1995 home
I remember a game between North Queensland and Penrith in 1995 where Panthers wore their home jersey and Cowboys wore their away kit. It was hard to distinguish the two teams.

I am happy to see the Broncs, Cowboys, Titans, Sunny Coast Storm ;) have success. Even the Broncos / Cowboys rivalry is pretty good natured. I'm behind any bid that eventually wins the Brisbane 2 slot, even if it is from outside the current bidders somehow. I just want QLD and Brisbane properly represented in the game that is supposedly the number 1 game in the state. For me it is unacceptable and reprehensible on the part of the NRL that the AFL has as many teams in SEQ as we do.
We really need to have 3 teams in Brisbane before the Brisbane 2032 Olympics. The world will be watching Brisbane and it is imperative it knows we are an RL loving city. AwFuL will try their best to pretend it's a fumbleball city and will talk non-stop about the main Olympic Stadium, the Gabba, being the home of the Lions. Three teams, with Lang Park hosting soccer and hopefully the RL Nines in 2032, will allow us to promote our game and allow the Dolphins, Firehawks, Titans, Cowboys and Broncos to grow their brand around the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We really need to have 3 teams in Brisbane before the Brisbane 2032 Olympics. The world will be watching Brisbane and it is imperative it knows we are an RL loving city. AwFuL will try their best to pretend it's a fumbleball city and will talk non-stop about the main Olympic Stadium, the Gabba, being the home of the Lions. Three teams, with Lang Park hosting soccer and hopefully the RL Nines in 2032, will allow us to promote our game and allow the Dolphins, Firehawks, Titans, Cowboys and Broncos to grow their brand around the world.
Whilst we have two cities with a combined population by 2032 of nearly 4million without ANY NRL representation then Brisbane shouldn't get a 3rd team. The last SE Qlnd team to be admitted failed miserably and is lucky to still be here, lets see if Brisbane 2 can fair any better before we get too far ahead of ourselves!

siv

First Grade
I would go with Ipswich, Redcliffe and the CC Bears

With the Warriors dropping out due to Covid

Too risk to have more than one team in Vic, SA, WA and NZ governments are too trigger happy to close borders for political gain

If our game had vision we would add Bris 2, Bris 3, Adelaide and Perth by 2032 so that our game has a footprint that appeals to the broadcasters and advertisers. It would actually be good for the Sydney clubs in the long run.

I hate Redcliffe at Queensland Cup level, but I would adopt them as a second club at NRL level if they represent all of Greater Brisbane.

Of the three bids, I think Firehawks have the most potential to develop a strong rivalry with the Broncos and appeal to much of the metro area. It will create a north vs south and west vs east rivalry. If Firehawks do get in then the Broncos should adopt the same jersey design of Wests Panthers, and maybe even their colour scheme, to emulate the old Wests vs Easts rivalry. Maroon and gold is a shit colour combination. Red and black looks more impressive. A new colour scheme can help the club rebuild trust and support from the community.

The Broncos could generate a lot of goodwill by bringing the Wests Panthers back in the Queensland Cup, possibly under the name Western Brisbane Panthers, to take on the Brisbane Tigers.

Last edited:

Latest posts